Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better Balance Rewards

tag
xvassagox
New Contributor

Better Balance Rewards

Just got a letter in the mail that said they're discontinuing my BBR card and replacing it with the Unlimited Cash Rewards on May 16th. Last quarterly reward will be paid in April but they said if I continue to make qualifying payments from April 1 to May 15, they will reward me with a one-time statement credit of $20.

Well, it was good while it lasted. Paid for my Spotify/Hulu promo subscription.

Sock Drawered -
Equifax Bankcard 8 - 830 - 4/21 | Experian Score 8 - 812 - 5/26 | TransUnion Score 8 - 810 - 5/1
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: Better Balance Rewards

I received this letter as well.  I've had the card since April 2014 and it's basically just had a few recurring streaming service payments in order to qualify for the quarterly bonuses.  I'm surprised they maintained the card structure for as long as they did considering it's been obsolete since 2016(?).  

I'm probably going to keep it active for the one time statement credit and then close it.  It's my only BOA card and I have no other relationship with them and the limit has always been low, so it's not a terrible loss for me, but it was an easy $100 a year that I will miss.

Message 2 of 20
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

The unlimited Cash Rewards card has a sub-set rewards structure of the Premium Rewards card. Since both have unlimited 1.5% rewards, having only one of them is sufficient for me. I see whether I can PC it to a CCR, after receiving the Q1 bonus.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 20
Oxford77

I wonder how receptive they'll be to a product change from their Unlimited Cash Rewards card to their Customized Cash Rewards card.  Anybody have any experience doing a PC with BoA? 

Message 4 of 20
acreditdummy123
Regular Contributor

O_O RIP

❤️ Am a peaceful, positive person. Credit scores: Amazing and higher than most. AAoA: Superb. No lates. No delinquencies.

The past is the past. I'm a completely new person now as of 3/6/23
Message 5 of 20
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

I've long lamented not getting this card.  An easy $100 - $120 per year.  It was a good run for some of you.  RIP.  

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 6 of 20
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Oxford77 wrote:

I wonder how receptive they'll be to a product change from their Unlimited Cash Rewards card to their Customized Cash Rewards card.  Anybody have any experience doing a PC with BoA? 

In general you just call a BoA customer service rep and tell them that you want to do a product change. They can process it for you while you're on the phone.

When the BoA/MLB relationship dissolved BoA replaced some MLB cards with Unlimited Cash Rewards cards and some of those cardholders were denied requests to change theirs to a CCR.  We'll have to wait and see and collect data points to learn if history will repeat itself.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 7 of 20
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

What is the maximum number of CCR cards that a person can have?

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 8 of 20
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

BofA BBR forced conversion 5/16/23 to 1.5% card

Message 9 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: BofA BBR forced conversion 5/16/23 to 1.5% card

I'm not totally shocked, since it was a really good deal - good enough for me to have two of 'em. Smiley Embarassed

Hopefully a PC to a CCB will be possible, otherwise I'll probably hang on to mine for the BT deals (usually 15-18 months 0% for 3% fee).

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.