Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BoA PC Question

tag
mathman
Established Member

BoA PC Question

Hi all -

I just got my BoA Secured Card with a $4000 deposit converted to a fully unsecured card with a $7500 credit limit.  I was shocked that they did this because my scores are 630/650/625, but I've used the card very heavily and PIF each month.

Anyway, with the $7500 CL, I asked that they add a Signature to it, and they said they couldn't because it was previously a secured card.  Right now, it's a Cash Rewards 1-2-3 card.  Do you think they'd let me PC it to the Better Balance card?  Or am I stuck with this card because it was once secured?

Thanks,

MM

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

Re: BoA PC Question

I was wondering the same thing. Mine will hopefully be unsecured next month. Congrats on getting yours unsecured do it ask to do it or was it just automatic? I dont want to pay the AF anymore so Idk how that would work if we PC to a non AF card? Your best bet would be to call the backdoor numbers or even email their ceo. They have not been very helpful or nice to be honest when I have called them. I would much rather deal with discover or the EO at capital one. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 2 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Not certain on the Visa Sig, but I PC'd my previously secured card to a Travel Rewards and got the AF removed without issue about a year ago.  

Probably wouldn't be an issue if I attempted to PC it that to a Better Balance card, I suspect the Siggy was the sticking point.

        
Message 3 of 13
grinlikechelsea
Established Contributor

I know they will let you PC to the BBR. I would ask again after some time has passed because it seems that different representatives give different answers. Good luck!

Message 4 of 13
zeedakay

Yes try a different rep 

_______________________________________________________________________________________
Current Scores: EQ FICO 685 (03/25/2014), EX N/A, TU FICO 697 (04/14/2014)
Silver Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 12/2013 - No apps until 2015
Starting Score: 535
Current Score: 697
Goal Score: 750

Message 5 of 13
kmorr2586
Regular Contributor

Don't bother calling. Use the chat function. When I originally called they couldn't PC my americard to anything- and I called a few times- so I tried the chat and went from americard to cash rewards to the accelerated AMEX. Let me know how the chat works for you. 

Message 6 of 13
newUser0
Established Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

Not certain on the Visa Sig, but I PC'd my previously secured card to a Travel Rewards and got the AF removed without issue about a year ago.  

Probably wouldn't be an issue if I attempted to PC it that to a Better Balance card, I suspect the Siggy was the sticking point.

+100% True,

Did this last month. You should NOT talk about AF Fee waiver, just PC to a Card with NO AF.

They will automatically refund you AF, if you paid, and make your card NO AF

Message 7 of 13
dodgerslv
Valued Contributor

@mathman wrote:

Hi all -

I just got my BoA Secured Card with a $4000 deposit converted to a fully unsecured card with a $7500 credit limit.  I was shocked that they did this because my scores are 630/650/625, but I've used the card very heavily and PIF each month.

Anyway, with the $7500 CL, I asked that they add a Signature to it, and they said they couldn't because it was previously a secured card.  Right now, it's a Cash Rewards 1-2-3 card.  Do you think they'd let me PC it to the Better Balance card?  Or am I stuck with this card because it was once secured?

Thanks,

MM

first off, congrats on the graduation of your secured card. I love BofA myself, they have been real good to me! I also started with a secured card with them back in May of 2012 with a 2k depsit. I requested at an early graduation around April 2013 along with a increase to 5k and it was granted. I didnt request an upgrade to visa signature cuz of my scores being around 660-675 accross all 3. Around 6 months after i got an auto CLI of 3k and thats when i called and requested it to be upgraded to signature. Scored were around 700 then. So my suggestion is that wait until your scores go up a little more. If those are your real Fico scores then i would wait. It may seem since the card just graduated combined with the low scores, they may be hesitant to upgrade you at the moment (my personal opinion of course). Just keep doing at what your doing and you will be upgraded sooner than later.

gardening since 5/21/2016
Message 8 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@newUser0 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

+100% True,

Did this last month. You should NOT talk about AF Fee waiver, just PC to a Card with NO AF.

They should, but in my case they didn't and I had to call again; wasn't a big deal, talked to one of their second level folks and she simply stated this should have been done already, set it right, and backed out the AF which had been charged even if I didn't ask for that and didn't honestly care.

BOFA gets a bad rep on this forum, likely from the issues during the financial crisis, but I've never had an issue with them that I didn't cause, and their policies around their secured card not only graduating but not stuck with some product restriction is bar none best in the industry for establishing credit with a long-term anchor tradeline... to say nothing of their rewards package which on a secured card, is likewise second to none.

        
Message 9 of 13
bigblue7722
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@newUser0 wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

+100% True,

They should, but in my case they didn't and I had to call again; wasn't a big deal, talked to one of their second level folks and she simply stated this should have been done already, set it right, and backed out the AF which had been charged even if I didn't ask for that and didn't honestly care.

BOFA gets a bad rep on this forum, likely from the issues during the financial crisis, but I've never had an issue with them that I didn't cause, and their policies around their secured card not only graduating but not stuck with some product restriction is bar none best in the industry for establishing credit with a long-term anchor tradeline... to say nothing of their rewards package which on a secured card, is likewise second to none.

I do love their secured card o probably got over 100  dollars in rewards. I got frustated because mine didnt unsecure earlier but I am hoping 5/15/14 my 1 year they will unsecure it or else Im gonna cancel and get my 300 dollars back. Funny thing about their secured card. I emailed the EO at BOA and they told me it was a hard pull no matter what and I might as well take it now. I told her thats not true and she started to get angry with me. Then I called the back door number and they told me the same thing. I told them that is not what I heard and that it is a soft pull to unsecure as long as its automatic and I didnt request it. He then goes to tell me BOA doesnt soft pull unless they think i am a risk which i am not because I pay every month in full. I told him thats a lie cause I am looking at my credit report right now and I see boa has soft pulled me like 5 times, he was speechless. So then the next night I go to chat with the credit card people on BOA's website and they told me that its only a HP if I ask them to unsecure and a soft pull if they do it automaticly. Gotta love BOA customer service I think they are worse the cap one. 

AMEX PRG NPSL,Lowes $17000,Capital One venture card $12,000,Us Airways mastercard $9500,Fidelity Amex $9000, Discover it $8000, Capital One Venture One $7500, BOA 123 rewards $7500 CSP $6000, Capital One Quicksliver $5500, Amazon Store card$5000,Barclay
Card Ring $5000 Chase Marriott $5000,Chase Hyatt $5000, Sallie Mae Mastercard $4400, Paypal smart connect $4000,Chase Freedom $3200, Capital one Quicksliver visa $3000, Chase IHG Rewards $2300, Chase Southwest Premier $2000, Citi Double Cash $1500, AMEX BCE $1000

Last app July 22nd 2015- No apps for two years.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.