Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Adding Chip+PIN Support

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA Adding Chip+PIN Support

My last statement came with a page about a change in the card agreement:

You may be required to use a PIN to make an ATM Cash Advance or to complete Purchases at certain merchant terminals, generally overseas. 

I wonder how well this will work. I wouldn't use this card in such a situation anyway due to FTF, but it's not bad to know.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: BofA Adding Chip+PIN Support

This would be very useful on the Travel Rewards card.  Would be nice to be able to use something other than Barclays for train tickets in Europe.

Message 2 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

The wording is stupid. It should be more like, "You will be required to use a PIN for all purchases overseas unless you use contactless, which is something we don't offer unlike the rest of the world."  

Message 3 of 27
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

This actually will be very helpful to me since I work in a country that has PIN only terminals at some places.

I’m guessing I just need to call BoA and have them add it ?

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 4 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

You may be required to use a PIN to make an ATM Cash Advance or to complete Purchases at certain merchant terminals, generally overseas. 

I wonder how well this will work. I wouldn't use this card in such a situation anyway due to FTF, but it's not bad to know.

Help me out ... in my reading of this statement I wonder? When you establish a PIN on a credit card my readings have said it would work for both cash and purchases. That said ... other than for information ... what is different? Yes, I do understand the USA generally has the PIN and Signature method rather than the Chip & PIN for defaults. But ... ? FYI ... the State Department Federal Credit Union (need to specify Chip & Pin or Chip & Signature option when ordering credit card), First Tech Federal Credit Union and the United Nations Federal Credit Union do issue true Chip & Pin credit cards along with the BMO Harris Bank Diners Club cards. So ... what is BOA doing? Thanks Irish80 ... appreciate the explanation ... get it now! Smiley Surprised

Message 5 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Help me out ... in my reading answer to this type of statement are that when a pin is established on your credit card it would work for both cash and purchases. So it you already have a PIN other than info why wouldn't it work already? Always set a pin immediately upon receiving and activating every card so I don't understand?!

They’re not giving you a new PIN just changing their approval process for some CC transactions  to require you input the PIN.  This still doesn’t elevate the card to those from Diners, UNFCU and First Tech that are true Chip and PIN cards in the US

Message 6 of 27
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I wish Chase would start using PIN.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having just come back from a trip to Canada and with the probability I'll be heading back there this summer, help me out. 

I have an Arrival+ which has been in my SD, but if I were to use that in Canada, would it work 'like theirs do'? And is Irish saying that even though B of A has a pin (when I saw this thread I went and added a pin to my B of A Alaska card and confirmed it has no FTF) it would NOT work like theirs? 

I agree, I wish Chase would do whatever is most accepted since UR's are my current target, but if it was less awkward, I'd use one of these others next trip. 

Thanks. 

Edited because I typed MR's, and should be UR's. (Was looking at ways to use up some MR's this morning and had amex on the brain.)

Message 8 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Having just come back from a trip to Canada and with the probability I'll be heading back there this summer, help me out. 

I have an Arrival+ which has been in my SD, but if I were to use that in Canada, would it work 'like theirs do'? And is Irish saying that even though B of A has a pin (when I saw this thread I went and added a pin to my B of A Alaska card and confirmed it has no FTF) it would NOT work like theirs? 

I agree, I wish Chase would do whatever is most accepted since MR's are my current target, but if it was less awkward, I'd use one of these others next trip. 

Thanks. 

It would work but there is a difference between cards like the Arrival+ and the 3 that I mentioned.  Those three are chip cards with PIN priority which means that the card issuers have set the card up to require that the PIN be inputted to work.  For example, to use my Diners Club Elite (no longer issued) at a gas station or grocery store I must input the PIN for the transaction to be approved.  Cards like the Arrival+ and others are chip with signature priority and PIN secondary.  So unless the merchant requires a PIN be inputted which is the case in a lot of other countries, then it will default to only a signature (even that is now changing with Discover, Amex, VISA and MasterCard no longer requiring signatures).  Obviously that is less secure than bring required to use a PIN.  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous  True Chip And PIN cards with PIN priority aren’t being issued in the US by our banks because they fear that consumers will forget their PINs and therefore not use the credit card.

Thanks. Makes sense. (Happens to me at Target occasionally.) 

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.