Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BofA Refusal of Product Change OR CLI??

tag
BuildingBetterCredit2020
New Contributor

BofA Refusal of Product Change OR CLI??

So I got a Platinum Plus BankAmericard from 11/2018 that originally started out as a secured card with an AF. I was able to graduate this card to a non-secured card earlier this past summer (~June timeframe). I then requested a CLI over the phone with a CSR this past early-mid October. I was denied. They sent me a letter stating that because of my history and current economic conditions they could not approve a CLI. As a DP,  I have not missed a single payment and have paid in full on every statement the past 2 years. I also have consistently kept the utilization to about 3-9%. Additionally, my credit score has gone up over all the time I've had this card. 

Fine, I'll wait it out. In the meantime, I figured I may as well get something out of the card. So I just called BofA this morning to see about getting a PC - preferrably their Cash Rewards card. The CSR takes less than ten seconds to look at my file and says, "There are no product changes available for your account at this time." I asked them, "So you're telling me that this card is not eligible or will never be eligible for a PC?". She said, "We do annual reviews and consider such things as then." or something to that effect. 

What gives?!? I don't get it. Do I have to keep calling to find a CSR that will do it? Or am I stuck with this for the mean time? 

Sept 2023

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Re: BofA Refusal of Product Change OR CLI??

The CSR didn't give bad info. Their cards aren't automatically eligible for PC. If I remember correctly, that specific card is known to be hard to PC.

As for CLI, many factors go into the decision. Just be patient and keep trying. If not satisfied with that, put energy on other cards and lenders.

Message 2 of 19
Tomatoshadow2
New Contributor

Same thing happened to me when I opened the QS1, at the time thinking it would be easy to PC to reg QS, nope, its tough, just keep trying. Also, I understand you are upset about not getting it, but never close non AF card, not saying you are, but when people get frustrated about a card, I know, an impulse is to close the account.

Message 3 of 19
ccquest
Established Contributor

I understand the frustration, but you have to understand that you're still not their ideal customer and they won't be throwing money at your accounts yet. Being unsecured is a nice start, appreciate that and let things just be as they are. Every 6 months to a year, try to get a CLI or PC. Don't worry about it other than that. Wait until your scores are closer to mid 700s and if you still can't get a PC, maybe consider an app for the new card instead.

Not sure on the ages of all your cards, but the Discover is barely a year old and the Americard says AU anyway?
as of 1/1/23
Current Cards:
Message 4 of 19
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@blindambition wrote:

The CSR didn't give bad info. Their cards aren't automatically eligible for PC. If I remember correctly, that specific card is known to be hard to PC.

As for CLI, many factors go into the decision. Just be patient and keep trying. If not satisfied with that, put energy on other cards and lenders.

+1. I have a BankAmericard that is 15 years old. I have been trying to PC it for most of 2020. No luck. Some reps take a few seconds, others take a couple minutes and check with a supervisor. They all sound like they genuinely want to give me what I'm asking for, but they all say my card is not currently eligible for a PC. I have moved past my initial annoyance. I expect BofA will eventually change its mind but that's just an optimistic guess. 

A few other members here have had similar experiences this year. One person found success by writing a letter, but the reported details are thin and I haven't been able to replicate that.

I wish you luck, OP!

(I like your new sig, @blindambition)

Message 5 of 19
blindambition
Senior Contributor

@Curious_George2 wrote:

@blindambition wrote:

+1. I have a BankAmericard that is 15 years old. I have been trying to PC it for most of 2020. No luck. Some reps take a few seconds, others take a couple minutes and check with a supervisor. They all sound like they genuinely want to give me what I'm asking for, but they all say my card is not currently eligible for a PC. I have moved past my initial annoyance. I expect BofA will eventually change its mind but that's just an optimistic guess. 

A few other members here have had similar experiences this year. One person found success by writing a letter, but the reported details are thin and I haven't been able to replicate that.

I wish you luck, OP!

(I like your new sig, @blindambition)

Thank you!!! I was trying to remember who was trying to PC for years. It was you and @cashorcharge!!!

Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 19
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

That's just BOA with the Americard. Secured to unsecured they feel they did you a favor. Cli or PC is somewhat based on deposits, investments, and a 740 CS.

I'm in the same boat, had the card since 2018, and nothing. NFCU, BB&T, Amex over the time period has given me over 40k.

Message 7 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There is not usually an issue with product changing BankAmericard cards.  Product changing with BOA can be frustrating at times, but as long as you know what you want to product change to and find a CSR who is familiar with the process, it can absolutely be done.  I've done it myself (my Travel Rewards card was a BankAmericard Platinum Plus).  No CSR will find options in the computer for you if ask what product changes are available; you will need to clearly state "I would like to change my card to a Cash Rewards card" or whichever the product you want is, and they can put in a request to change it which can sometimes take up to a month to process.

As for a credit line increase, Bank of America can have higher underwriting requirements than some other lenders.  Usually they will want to see scores at least in the 720-740 range prior to granting them.  You can check for eligibility online.  If there is no link to request online (a soft pull), it is very unlikely that one would be granted on a call.

Message 8 of 19
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

BoA can be interesting at times. Like most have mentioned, you just need to get the right person who is willing to take a few minutes to actually provide customer service and just maybe you'll be able to get the product change that you're looking for.

The only cards that I've heard that pretty hard to product change with BoA are their cobranded cards. I tried on a many of occasions over the years to PC my Alaska card and the answer is always the same. But it's never just a flat out "no", it's usually more on the line that it's this specific card (meaning my Alaska card) can't be product changed.

As for CLIs, once you cross the 700 threshold and your profile is pretty decent, BoA is known to open up a little more. On my Alaska card I've got it up to $42.1k and that's when I stopped asking for more but I'm fairly certain that if I clicked the button that they'd spin the wheel and give me a few more pennies.

Message 9 of 19
Curious_George2
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

There is not usually an issue with product changing BankAmericard cards.  Product changing with BOA can be frustrating at times, but as long as you know what you want to product change to and find a CSR who is familiar with the process, it can absolutely be done.  I've done it myself (my Travel Rewards card was a BankAmericard Platinum Plus).  No CSR will find options in the computer for you if ask what product changes are available; you will need to clearly state "I would like to change my card to a Cash Rewards card" or whichever the product you want is, and they can put in a request to change it which can sometimes take up to a month to process.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. I have no doubt that you speak the truth, but I just called and used your exact words and got nowhere. The rep was adamant that there is no way to submit a PC request if the system doesn't show the card as eligible. I told her my friend was able to do it (we're friends, right?). She checked with her manager, she read me the script that listed the types of product changes, she talked about "invitations," she gave me a little speech about how things change every day in this business. It was a long call that led nowhere. 

I've had variations of this experience on probably a dozen different calls, with reps who really sound like they know what they are doing and want to help. I wish I could re-create your results, but I just don't think it's possible at present. 

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.