cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bouncing Back, Slowly but Surely. What cards to use??? Help!

tag
DD124_36

Bouncing Back, Slowly but Surely. What cards to use??? Help!

Hey everyone! 

Thankfully, my credit is building back up after the discharge of my Ch. 7.

Discharged in January, I went from 530 to my current myFico score of 625. Not too bad? 

I started off with a First Progress secured card of $400.00. 

After four months, my Score was at around 590. Tried my luck and was approved for a Car loan from Wells Fargo dealer svcs and picked up a reliable car from Carmax. 

I've not missed a payment on anything. But with only one card and a car payment. It was a slow uphill battle. 

I was sent a pre approved notice for First Premier and made the biggest mistake of my life and applying. Obviously, I was approved. $750 CL. My Credit score went from approximately 590ish to 625! I was stoked. Nevermind the $150 YEARLY fee and 32 APR! woo whoo! 

Long Story short, they "couldn't process" my application fee of $29 and closed my card. I was left with a $100.00 balance. Paid off, but now my Fico slumped down to 612 because of the closed account. *they chouldnt tell me why, they said my bank reversed the charge, Chase, My bank, says First Premier never debited the amount. Everyone is clueless. Don't go First Premier. They suck. 

*before the closure was reported, I applied for the Barclays Reward Master Card and Was approved for a $1500 CL! This was less than a month ago, so it hasn't reported to my CL yet...*

I applied for a Best Buy CC, and was declined Smiley Sad They letter I got a few days later gave the only reason why I was declined "recent Chapter 7/13 discharge". Citi Bank isn't too kind to us post BK Folks I guess. 

So, Sitting at 612 with a car payment, First Progress and Barclays in hand at a 612 fico, where can I go to get a card? 

How many credit cards is ideal for my situation? 

Here's a crappy caveat, I burned Credit one and Capital one in my BK, however they were charge offs by the time the BK was filed. Probably best if I stay away from both? 

Thanks anyone/everyone who can offer any advice! It's sincerely appreciated!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bouncing Back, Slowly but Surely. What cards to use??? Help!

@DD124_36 wrote:

Hey everyone! 

Thankfully, my credit is building back up after the discharge of my Ch. 7.

Discharged in January, I went from 530 to my current myFico score of 625. Not too bad? 

I started off with a First Progress secured card of $400.00. 

After four months, my Score was at around 590. Tried my luck and was approved for a Car loan from Wells Fargo dealer svcs and picked up a reliable car from Carmax. 

I've not missed a payment on anything. But with only one card and a car payment. It was a slow uphill battle. 

I was sent a pre approved notice for First Premier and made the biggest mistake of my life and applying. Obviously, I was approved. $750 CL. My Credit score went from approximately 590ish to 625! I was stoked. Nevermind the $150 YEARLY fee and 32 APR! woo whoo! 

Long Story short, they "couldn't process" my application fee of $29 and closed my card. I was left with a $100.00 balance. Paid off, but now my Fico slumped down to 612 because of the closed account. *they chouldnt tell me why, they said my bank reversed the charge, Chase My bank says First Premier never debited the amount. Everyone is clueless. Don't go First Premier. They suck. 

*before the closure was reported, I applied for the Barclays Reward Master Card and Was approved for a $1500 CL! This was less than a month ago, so it hasn't reported to my CL yet...*

I applied for a Best Buy CC, and was declined Smiley Sad They letter I got a few days later gave the only reason why I was declined "recent Chapter 7/13 discharge". Citi Bank isn't too kind to us post BK Folks I guess. 

So, Sitting at 612 with a car payment, First Progress and Barclays in hand at a 612 fico, where can I go to get a card? 

How many credit cards is ideal for my situation? 

Here's a crappy caveat, I burned Credit one and Capital one in my BK, however they were charge offs by the time the BK was filed. Probably best if I stay away from both? 

Thanks anyone/everyone who can offer any advice! It's sincerely appreciated!

If you didn't burn BoA, You might try for a Secured 99/500 card from BoA

Message 2 of 17
DD124_36

I've never had anything with BoA, I'll give it a looksie! 

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DD124_36 wrote:

I've never had anything with BoA, I'll give it a looksie! 

Good deal.

Unfortunately you already burnt the other scum lender (CreditOne), and a rebuilder lender (CapitalOne), so you can't sink your teeth in there.

Give it a shot and then just garden for about a year, Let history build up and your score will come up with it.

Message 4 of 17
skigirl916
Established Contributor

I burned Capital One around 2000/2001, and they gave me two cards three-ish years later, that I still have now.  I think they're worth a shot.

Message 5 of 17
DD124_36

Thanks for the reply and the advice!

Are there any other unsecured card I'd have a shot at? 

I've read this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Capital-One-Credit-Card-After-Bankruptcy/td-p/1503802

and

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-long-does-capital-one-keep-you-on-a-blacklist/td-p/...

Results seem to vary. Too risky to apply? I burned them for approx. $700...

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DD124_36 wrote:

Thanks for the reply and the advice!

Are there any other unsecured card I'd have a shot at? 

I've read this thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/Capital-One-Credit-Card-After-Bankruptcy/td-p/1503802

and

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-long-does-capital-one-keep-you-on-a-blacklist/td-p/...

Results seem to vary. Too risky to apply? I burned them for approx. $700...

I burnt Cap1 for $400 back in 2008, Got a Journey in 2011.

Message 7 of 17
DD124_36

Maybe the smallest thread in history, but I read about the pre qualification website. 

I plugged my info in and was pre qualified for the Quicksilver rewards. Bit the bullet and submitted an application.

Approved for $300. Blimey. It's better than a poke in the eye I suppose. 

Heads up for any one else in the same predicament. 

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

QuicksilverOne?

Message 9 of 17
DD124_36

Yeah, QuicksilverOne.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.