Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building Credit!

tag
Lamboguy35
New Visitor

Building Credit!

Hello everyone! I recently turned 18 and want to build my credit. I'm a full time student at a community college and have a part time job. I foolishly applied for a Discover It student card and was denied for having no credit history. Does anyone have any reccomendtions to build my credit?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: Building Credit!

@Lamboguy35 wrote:

Hello everyone! I recently turned 18 and want to build my credit. I'm a full time student at a community college and have a part time job. I foolishly applied for a Discover It student card and was denied for having no credit history. Does anyone have any reccomendtions to build my credit?

I will look at some other student card say cap 1 etc. If that pans out perfect else get a secured card. 3 months down the line get a GECRB card like JC Penney. From there wait for an year and you will be in prime land.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 12
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Check out capital 1. They have a pre approval process on their site which is not a hard pull and if u don't qualify for an unsecured card their secured is an option and is very low in fees. I've had no problems w them so far. Their phone app is good and u can pay the bill thru the app daily, weekly, or monthly. Use the card wisely meaning don't run up $200 in charges when ur limit is $200.
Message 3 of 12
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

You should recon for the Discover it.

I can't understand the reasoning behind the so called "student" cards if students are the ones getting denied due to a limited credit history.

My brother applied for the citi forward card for college students and he was able to recon an approval of $500 after getting a denial.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 4 of 12
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

Trying to get a card with a big enough CL to to buy that Lambo, huh? Haha i kid i kid! In all seriousness, i would try Capital One as others have suggested.. and even try doing a recon for Discover!

Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 12
Lamboguy35
New Visitor

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitley check out Capital One. Is it better to go the secured or unsecured route in my situation? Also how exactly do I recon Discove'rs decision? 

Message 6 of 12
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

Check the back door posting for discover's number.

Market yourself. Play to your strengths.
Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 7 of 12
Hubcapjw
Contributor

Cap 1 will tell u which card u prequalify for on their website! The cap 1 secured card reports as a normal card so its not a big deal! Stay away from subprime cards that charge crazy fees! Stick with well-known banks unless ur credit is in the tank.
Message 8 of 12
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@Lamboguy35 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone! I will definitley check out Capital One. Is it better to go the secured or unsecured route in my situation? Also how exactly do I recon Discove'rs decision? 

Just call discover and tell them you'd like your app reconsidered.  If need be ask to be transfered to a credit analyst or underwriter.  Look around here and see if they have a backdoor number, not sure if they do. 

If you can get an unsecured capone that would be an option.  If you have a local CU I'd check there for a secured card.  That would start a relationship with a local credit union that will benefit much more over the years than a secured card with capone.  Bank of America and Wells Fargo both offer secured cards that eventually unsecure.  But they may not be the best option with no credit history.  I'd strongly suggest going with a credit untion of some type.

Message 9 of 12
Lamboguy35
New Visitor

Thanks for everyone's advice! I attempted to get a recon with discover, but was unsuccessful. The representative explained to me that I don't have any credit history and to try again in six months. I'm going to keep trying and consider capital one. I also have a checking account with PNC. Should I apply for a card with them?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.