Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC Overpayment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC Overpayment

Hey, all.

I have a Credit One CC that I'm sending in a payment over the payoff amount to try to get it to report 0 (they tack on some fees and AF the second after the statement cuts, so just sending payoff by due date results in 10-15 bucks being reported to CRA). My question is, if I send in an extra 20 bucks via money order, will that balance of -20.00 sit there until statement date (resulting in 0 ish after AF, etc on statement), or will they just send me back the difference?

I'm just trying to determine whether to do it now (2 weeks early), or try to plan on sneaking it in on them the day before so they wouldn't have a chance to process a refund. I've failed at AZEO 3 months in a row over this type thing and it's p*ssing me off. Thanks!!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CC Overpayment

You can do it for 2 months, on the 3rd month they would refund any credit balance due per the card act but after they of course take out their fee.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gdale6 Ah ok, thank you so much for the response. 2 of the 3 cards I have pull that bs (rebuilding type cards), so I suppose I'll have to switch off every 2 months which my AZEO reporter is (just tracking the rebuild, no real need for AZEO atm...but even a few more points keeps me motivated)

Anyway, will that work? It's 2 in a row or 2 in a lifetime? Ie 8/0/0 twice, then 0/8/0 twice, then rinse/repeat?

Message 3 of 10
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@gdale6 Ah ok, thank you so much for the response. 2 of the 3 cards I have pull that bs (rebuilding type cards), so I suppose I'll have to switch off every 2 months which my AZEO reporter is (just tracking the rebuild, no real need for AZEO atm...but even a few more points keeps me motivated)

Anyway, will that work? It's 2 in a row or 2 in a lifetime? Ie 8/0/0 twice, then 0/8/0 twice, then rinse/repeat?

That should work and its not limited to 2 in a lifetime. really what I would do is just pay the AF exactly in addition to whatever else your balance is with a push from your bank account so it zeros out every month on statement day.

Message 4 of 10
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Have you tried the Secured card route OP? The $100 a year fee just seems to steep just to rebuild. Credit One is only a last resort if all else fails just my 2¢.

There are plenty of Secured card players out there that you can take up on. 

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 5 of 10
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Why are you trying to do an AZEO?  What is your objective?  How are you planning to achieve it?  Do you have a good long-term strategy?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 6 of 10
NRB525
Super Contributor

Why not make the CreditOne card the card that reports the small balance?

With the monthly fee there is no chance of it reporting zero, it's Fail Safe Smiley Wink

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 10
AllZero
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Why not make the CreditOne card the card that reports the small balance?

With the monthly fee there is no chance of it reporting zero, it's Fail Safe Smiley Wink

Download Free png kudos meaning - DLPNG.com

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

AZEO to see where my optimized MMS will be. I don't plan on a mortgage app for 4-5 more months, but I want to see where MMS settles when it's at its best.

Well, I have Credit One, Indigo, and my local CU for CCs. Both the crappy cards do the same way with reporting AF even if PIF an hour before statement cuts (along with some other small amount I assume is trailing interest). I just picked one to overpay, it doesn't really matter which.

Yes, I'd replace them with secured cards as mentioned, but that's 2 new accounts 5 months from a mortgage so I chose to just ride then out. They were my starting rebuilder cards. I pre-qual for better cards now, that I'll replace them with after mortgage.

Message 9 of 10
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

You can do it for 2 months, on the 3rd month they would refund any credit balance due per the card act.

If activity on card every month, it can report negative every month for ever.

Month 1 charges 700, pay 900, bal -200 :  month 2 charges 300, pay 200, bal -100, etc

The card act neg balance rule is for static forgotten funds not ongoing over payments.

When playing with "Azeo"  , I had neg balances on all but one of my cards for over a year.

You just can't over pay and walk away.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.