Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC's Reported Stolen - Why does Score Go down

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CC's Reported Stolen - Why does Score Go down

My purse was stolen this week and I had to report 8 or so cards stolen. I am now getting alerts as each one reports lost/stolen that my score has decreased & it shows up as a negative item. Why do lost/stolen cards decrease the FICO score? Will my score recover when the replacement is reported? How long do lost/stolen cards remain on your report?
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CC's Reported Stolen - Why does Score Go down

CRTP

Lost credit card: If there are no delinquencies, credit cards that are reported lost will continue to be listed for two years from the date the card is reported lost. Delinquent payments that occurred before the card was lost are reported for seven years.

Are the new accounts reporting as the lost accounts are being reported as lost? Might be from the hit you are taking on AAoA.

Pull a new report and check out what exactly is being reported. How are the lost accounts reporting? How are the new accounts reporting, if they are reporting?

Quite possible that they are reporting the original accounts as lost, reporting the new accounts, and both are reporting balances. Need to check that.

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you'll regain the points as soon as the replacement cards report showing the account open.

My JC Penny card that was stolen 13 yrs ago still reports along with the replacement card.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply. I thought lost/stolen cards were not to appear after a certain timeframe but I cannot locate the information.  I dont understand the negative impact to my score either.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't a clue whether my scores were affected by the stolen card as I wasn't paying much attention to FICO scores at the time.

My best guess, judging by how my stolen card reports, is that you took the hit because so many cards show as closed at the moment thus affecting utilization (although some will argue that it would have no effect). If this is the reason then your score should bounce back quickly as soon as your new/old accounts show up.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

CRTP

Lost credit card: If there are no delinquencies, credit cards that are reported lost will continue to be listed for two years from the date the card is reported lost. Delinquent payments that occurred before the card was lost are reported for seven years.

Are the new accounts reporting as the lost accounts are being reported as lost? Might be from the hit you are taking on AAoA.

Pull a new report and check out what exactly is being reported. How are the lost accounts reporting? How are the new accounts reporting, if they are reporting?

Quite possible that they are reporting the original accounts as lost, reporting the new accounts, and both are reporting balances. Need to check that.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response. I did pull reports once I received the notifications.  The only thing reporting is the original account with the last reported balance.  Followed by that same account reporting as lost/stolen. So to be clear, I should make sure the new accounts are reporting with a balance. However, should the old account still report a balance as well?  Should the accounts closed as lost/stolen report a balance or $0?  
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

CRTP

Mine still reports after 13 yrs but seems to do no harm.  There were never any delinquences on it either.

You're probably right about the AAofAs. The lost cards wouldn't be counted and the new ones haven't shown up on her reports yet to replace the lost age.

Message 7 of 8
athensguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

CRTP

Mine still reports after 13 yrs but seems to do no harm.  There were never any delinquences on it either.

You're probably right about the AAofAs. The lost cards wouldn't be counted and the new ones haven't shown up on her reports yet to replace the lost age.

The lost/stolen TLs are counted in AAoA. If the lost cards were younger than average age, it can ding your score. If the lost cards are older than average age, it could help.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.