Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CC transactions dispute help

tag
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

CC transactions dispute help

Hi hope everything is well and staying safe,

I have a situation with a transaction I'm disputing with my credit card company for a truck I was purchasing. I used the credit card because the dealer where I was purchasing a truck looked sketchy and thought using a credit card was safer then using any other payment options, So long story short I was purchasing a truck from a small dealership for a decent price compared to the rest on the market and asked them if it was okay to use a credit to pay for the truck and was told it wouldn't be a problem I would just need to wait 2 days til the funds cleared and I could take the truck, I called them in 2 days and was told they had a problem with the CC machine and the funds weren't in their accounts and didn't show any pending transaction yet it showed posted on my statement so I asked them to cancel the transaction and give me a refund but was only given an bill of sale stating the transaction was cancelled but they couldn't give me a refund because they hadn't received the funds so i initiated a dispute with the CC company to get back the money but they are fighting the dispute and my CC company agreed with them saying the dispute was considered valid in favour of the merchant.

anyone have someone has some advice on what I can do because I never received the truck or the refund and now I'm being charged for the full amount.

Thanks in advance 

FICO 08 Scores EX 624 EQ 631 TU 646, Goal 800+
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: CC transactions dispute help

Can file charges of grand theft on them with the police and/or sue them

Message 2 of 18
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

Absolutely get the police involved. ASAP.

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 3 of 18
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Albert_E63 wrote:

... I used the credit card because the dealer where I was purchasing a truck looked sketchy and thought using a credit card was safer then using any other payment options,

^ ^ ^  That was your first clue that this wouldn't end well.  Lesson:  listen to your instincts; they are usually right. 

Which credit card issuer are we talking about here?

Agree with @gdale6 that promptly filing a police report for fraud or grand theft (which indicates your seriousness with the lender and the dealership), giving the lender a copy of the police report, and retaining an attorney to contact both lender and dealership should lead to results.   If you decide to sue the dealership for damages, the attorney can include all legal expenses in the claim, so you may not end up with anything out-of-pocket. 

It probably won't help you resolve the credit card issue, but you could also file a complaint with your Better Business Bureau so that there is a record of criminal activity and fraud to warn others.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 4 of 18
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

Can I still call the police? Because this started in May 20th and thought my CC would fix this 

Message 5 of 18
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@Aim_High wrote:

@Albert_E63 wrote:

... I used the credit card because the dealer where I was purchasing a truck looked sketchy and thought using a credit card was safer then using any other payment options,

^ ^ ^  That was your first clue that this wouldn't end well.  Lesson:  listen to your instincts; they are usually right. 

Which credit card issuer are we talking about here?

Agree with @gdale6 that promptly filing a police report for fraud or grand theft (which indicates your seriousness with the lender and the dealership), giving the lender a copy of the police report, and retaining an attorney to contact both lender and dealership should lead to results.   If you decide to sue the dealership for damages, the attorney can include all legal expenses in the claim, so you may not end up with anything out-of-pocket. 

It probably won't help you resolve the credit card issue, but you could also file a complaint with your Better Business Bureau so that there is a record of criminal activity and fraud to warn others.

I know those guts feeling are never wrong but I didn't something like this was possible having paid with a CC From Chase.

Message 6 of 18
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@Albert_E63 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

Can I still call the police? Because this started in May 20th and thought my CC would fix this 

Yes.  You're less than 90 days out from all this beginning.  Depending on your state and the level of charges that could be pursued, the statute of limitations is probably many years.  This may also be why it's a good idea to retain an attorney. 

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Before advising "contact the police" I personally would want more detail!    What did the credit card company say when they resolved it in favor of the merchant?  (They agree that the merchant got the funds, but somehow delivered the service?).

Not being a lawyer I don't know the ins and outs of getting the police involved.   You paid the credit card company money, not the merchant, so is it the cc you should go after? Or is it OK to accuse the merchant since the contract was with them?

Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Send a letter to the CCC disputing the charge. Send a letter to the dealer stating you will take legal action if it doesn't reverse the charge. Give them a week. Then go to the police and the city prosecutor that has jurisdiction for where the dealer is located. Send a letter to the Attorney General for your state. All letters should be sent return receipt AKA the green card. You may also wish to contact an attorney or depending on the limitations in your state file a small claims court suit against the dealership. Good luck!

Message 9 of 18
Albert_E63
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Before advising "contact the police" I personally would want more detail!    What did the credit card company say when they resolved it in favor of the merchant?  (They agree that the merchant got the funds, but somehow delivered the service?).

Not being a lawyer I don't know the ins and outs of getting the police involved.   You paid the credit card company money, not the merchant, so is it the cc you should go after? Or is it OK to accuse the merchant since the contract was with them?

This what the CC company told me "While you may have a valid complaint with the merchant, the results of our additional review confirm
that the transactions are valid and no billing error occurred on your account" im not sure if they understand and i really thinking of calling the police and getting a case# so i can get a lawyer because its BS that my own CC is siding with them when im providing them with a document the dealer gave me saying the transcation was cancelled.

Anyone know what type of lawyers work on these type of cases  ?

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.