Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CCC Creating Accounts At Will?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CCC Creating Accounts At Will?

So a coworker of mine comes in today and says he received an AMEX card in the mail.  He is not, nor has he ever been an AMEX customer.  I assumed he meant he got a pre-approved/pre-screened/whatever you call them offers.

However, he says it's a real card, with his name, and a bunch of documents with account information, etc.  The card has one of those "Call this number to activate" stickers on it.  He says he didn't apply for anything.

Is this even legal?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: CCC Creating Accounts At Will?

@Anonymous wrote:

So a coworker of mine comes in today and says he received an AMEX card in the mail.  He is not, nor has he ever been an AMEX customer.  I assumed he meant he got a pre-approved/pre-screened/whatever you call them offers.

However, he says it's a real card, with his name, and a bunch of documents with account information, etc.  The card has one of those "Call this number to activate" stickers on it.  He says he didn't apply for anything.

Is this even legal?

Sounds like some kind of fraud is going on to me

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its highly unlikely the credit card company did this itself. Its either he was sleepapplying or this is fraud. He should freeze all three reports immidiately...

Message 3 of 18
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

You should here some of the things my coworkers say. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Walt_K wrote:

You should here some of the things my coworkers say. 

Yea, this is what I was thinking.  He's adament about it though.

Message 5 of 18
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

Tell him to bring it in for you to see if he's telling the truth.  I find that  hard to believe that Amex would just send a card without applying.  Maybe he did sleep apply as above poster said, as i've almost done the same thing myself after spending hours on the forum. 

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

^Yea I told him to bring it in on Monday.  He says he's going to try and contact them this weekend to get more info -- apparently he checked his mail just before coming to work today and briefly talked to a CSR on the phone.  CSR told him something like "Well we saw that you had a good credit score/history and wanted to offer this to you."  It really sounds like it's just any old pre-approval crap offer but he insists it's a "real" card with activation instructions on it.

He also said the card is silver in color.

Message 7 of 18
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

^Yea I told him to bring it in on Monday.  He says he's going to try and contact them this weekend to get more info -- apparently he checked his mail just before coming to work today and briefly talked to a CSR on the phone.  CSR told him something like "Well we saw that you had a good credit score/history and wanted to offer this to you."  It really sounds like it's just any old pre-approval crap offer but he insists it's a "real" card with activation instructions on it.

An offer, with a "sample" card attached -- yes. A real card ready to activate? I have a really hard time believing that.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tinuviel wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

An offer, with a "sample" card attached -- yes. A real card ready to activate? I have a really hard time believing that.

Same here.  Do those "sample" cards typically have some kind of sticker that he could have mistaken for the "call this number to activate" sticker?  I haven't had an offer in so long I don't even remember.

Message 9 of 18
stan_the_man
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this even legal?

It was actually very common practice in the 1960s and 1970s to send our CCs unsolicited. That practice is now illegal.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.