cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CHASE Freedom + Checking Combo Question...

tag
mistabgeez
New Contributor

CHASE Freedom + Checking Combo Question...

This forum is great. I have been reading up on this CHASE 10/10 combo through the various threads and have not found any answer to this situation. Hopefully, someone can help me. Before coming onto myFICO I never heard about this combo. Considering my Freedom and BCE are the two cards I use the most, I thought it most prudent to evaluate if this combo would be best for me. I think it would be. Most of my current banking is done locally. I examined the best way to keep a CHASE checking account open without incurring a monthly fee. So I arranged to have a set amount removed to be placed in a checking account to avoid the monthly fee.

I live in MD and the closest CHASE branch is in Delaware. No way I plan on driving to Delaware, just call and open it over the phone I thought. When I called CHASE, I was transferred 4 different times, from banking, to credit cards, back to banking...well you get the idea. One rep said she never heard of a 10/10 combo before. Another said that their department didn't deal with it. Everyone was just passing me along. It was becoming irritating to say the least. The final rep I spoke to said I probably just need to take the ride to Delaware. Oy vey!

Since my phone call was fruitless, I decided to send a message directly to CHASE through my Freedom account. Responses came back fairly quickly. The first rep gave me a written list of instructions for opening a CHASE checking account online. I did not try to use those instructions because my primary question had not been addressed: If I open a checking account, will the 10/10 combo be applicable? The next message I received back had this response in it:

Dear mistabgeez,

We apologize for any inconvenience you may have
experienced with finding out about this product, and we
understand your concern. I am happy to assist you today.

In response to your inquiry, I did some research on the
product you are referring to and in order to qualify for
this promotion, a checking account would have had to have
been opened within three months of your Chase Freedom Card
being opened.

Huh? I have not read anything about this on the forums and wanted to know if anyone had any insight into this. No one from CHASE mentioned this to me when I first opent the card back in 12/11 and that automatically disqualifies me if this is true. For all I know, this could be another misinformed rep. Anyone have any insight into this?!

AMEX BCE $15,500 Citi Double Cash $8,700 USAA $6,000
Chase Freedom $2,500 Discover It $10,600
M & T Visa $2,500 CU Visa $10,000, BOAmericard $7,500
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Re: CHASE Freedom + Checking Combo Question...

I'll tell you my experience. They sent my a letter telling me that the upgraded my benefit because I have a checking account with them. But I opened my account back in 2009 and my Freedom card was only opened in May of this year! Maybe they go and check for current customers .. I don't know!

Current Cards:
Message 2 of 14
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

I too had my checking account open long before I got my Freedom card but I haven't heard of this rule before. I have dealt with chase before with issues I've had and while they have always been pleasant to deal with, their reps can be misinformed. I would call the Backdoor number and see if you can find out more about it from one of those reps.
EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 3 of 14
mistabgeez
New Contributor

@mmduluth wrote:
I too had my checking account open long before I got my Freedom card but I haven't heard of this rule before. I have dealt with chase before with issues I've had and while they have always been pleasant to deal with, their reps can be misinformed. I would call the Backdoor number and see if you can find out more about it from one of those reps.

Thanks. I was considering this. But what number do I call? The sticky has different numbers for applications and recons, but I am unsure if this really qualifies as a recon per se.

Message 4 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

I think the CSR is just wrong. I've never heard of that policy and it doesn't make any sense.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 5 of 14
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

It's true. There is a policy for current Chase cardholders who also have checking accounts with Chase. I get 10 points extra for every dollar I spend!

Current Cards:
Message 6 of 14
stone
Regular Contributor

thanks for the input, i think i will apply for freedom asa there is a good deal

Message 7 of 14
mistabgeez
New Contributor

Ok, so I log onto my Chase account and there is a link that says "What Can We Do Better. We're Listening." Maybe this link was there the entire time, maybe not. However, I saw it as an opportunity to get a definitive answer to my situation. Hopefully my inquiry would come across the screen of someone who could actually help me.

I explained my situation, again, in the pop up box that was created from clicking the link. The next day I get a response that says I cannot open a Chase checking account over the phone, that it must be done online. Opening an account was not my primary concern; being able to take advantage of the 10/10 combo was. I replied with my concern and the response was to contact the Credit Card Services Department to add the promotion to my account. Sounds good, let me open a checking account so I can make that call.

Now I take it upon myself to navigate the website and open up a checking account online. When I enter my zip code I get the following message:

"The Chase product or service you selected is not available in the Zip Code you entered."

Excuse me? It is a checking account. Everything is done online these days. Surely there is a problem with their system. I send another message explaining what happens and this is what Chase tells me:

"In response to your inquiry, at this time you will be unable to open a Chase checking account since you are
located in a state where there are no Chase branches."

Unbelievable. A big time bank such as Chase cannot open a checking account from someone who is not near an actual branch. I was taken by surprise at this limitation. Unfortunately, it seems as though the 10/10 combo has eluded me. I'm thinking of picking up a Citi card later this year to round out my rewards opportunities, cover all my bases so to speak. It would have been nice to make my Freedom the primary card in my stable, but cash back is cash back. I will take it anyway I can get it. If anyone has any way around this limitation, PLEASE let me know!

Message 8 of 14
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

I suppose you can travel to a state where it does have a Chase branch and open a checking account in person. Other than that there is no way around it. Chase only serves ~24 states IIRC. Citibank is even less, only ~10 states.

This is not a Chase-exclusive policy though, many banks don't allow you to open a deposit account if you are not in their serving area. I suspect there is federal/state regulation behind it. Different state has different state regulation, which adds complexity to their operation.

Message 9 of 14
gettnthere
Established Contributor

i too went through this same ordeal. i called and they told me i would have to visit a branch but there arent any in my stateSmiley Sad lol so i guess im gonna have to take the 77.38 mile journey to the next state where the closest CHase branch is located. im gonna do it bc the deal is too good to pass up on. i just gotta get there before 9/1

Starting Score: EQ 609, EX 633(Fako), TU 700
Current Score: EQ 699, EX 758, TU 733
Goal Score: 720 across the board
Garden Club Member-GC Challenge: App free since 10/31/12 Smiley Wink
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.