Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CIti Amex - automatically CLI decrease

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CIti Amex - automatically CLI decrease

Hi all,

My wife has a citi amex card and the utilization is high almost 90 % but always paid on time except this one time due to Sandy storm it was late by 4 days.

They decreased the CL to the last balance on the card. We are thinking of getting her another card. Not happy with teh card and CITI.

She has freedom but with $1000 CL. Can she transfer the citi balnce to freedom.

or can she apply for chase sapphire preferred and transfer the citi balance to that new card once she gets approved.

Kindly suggest

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: CIti Amex - automatically CLI decrease

Balance chasing. What happens is that 90% utilization already was making the account looking unfavorable and 4-day late was a trigger. As you pay down the Citi balance your CL will continue to decrease.

Problem is, 90% utilization will be a big let down when applying for a credit card. Give it a try for Chase Slate.

Message 2 of 8
TrishN
Established Contributor

Citiwear not good at max out there card. If you Max out,and event if you pay it down they will still drop your CL. Happened to me b4

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 3 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Sorry to hear that happened. I had high util, also around 80-90% balance on my Citi card, I paid it off last month. I hope they don't touch the CL.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

So with high utilization I cannot balance transfer?

SHe already has Slate and no balance on there which I am thinking of transfering to Sapphire preferred later as well.

So if we pay off citi in full, and then open sapphire preferred , can we then transfer the citi to sapphire easily or is it based only if w e recieve a BT offer.

never done a BT so sorry for the noob question.

Message 5 of 8
annielorie
Valued Contributor

About yur late payment call credit services u should not get a late due to the disaster also Id try to get your CL reinstated saying that at this difficult time it will be a real hardship as FEMA doesnt move to quickly

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 6 of 8
TrishN
Established Contributor

At that time my citi CL is 12k. I used 11 k . Next month I paid 6 k . They drop my limit to 5k5, then I paid 500 and 500 and 500. After 3 months they drop another 1k8 after 6 months my citi CL is 3k5 with 0 balance. That time I don't have any bad mark in my credit report !. I remember it forever. Lol

10/2012 Started with 588 EQ Fico score and 20+ CA and CO
1750$ total CL
10/2013 in 700 Club
Personal :Total CL 196K
Business : Total CL 200K
Business LOC : 1M
Garden From 10/13/2013
Message 7 of 8
KIPPIE12
Established Contributor

@annielorie wrote:

About yur late payment call credit services u should not get a late due to the disaster also Id try to get your CL reinstated saying that at this difficult time it will be a real hardship as FEMA doesnt move to quickly

Exactly....................Right on their website it states info regarding Sandy cardholders that they are there to help.  I believe Citi, Chase, and BOA are waiving late fees, and providing emergency cash for cardholder victims of the storm.  I would be all over this, and plead my case with a supervisor.

Current Score: EQ: 828, EX: 833, TU: 820 Citi TY Premier WEMC 46.5, (Since 1983)Discover 15.6k|BOA WMC 30.5k|Barclays Juniper Rewards 15k|Barclays Amex 20k| Cap One QS WMC 15K|Chase Freedom VS 19.3k|Citi Dividend WEMC 25k|FNBO 15.5k|CSP 22.1K|Chase Marriott 31.3k|Citi TYP 20K|Citi DP 16.5k|Macys 5k|Sams MasterCard 15k|Barclay Arrival Plus WEMC 18.7k|Chase IHG WMC 26k|Citi Double Cash 10k|Chase MileagePlus Explorer 14k|Amex Everyday 16.2|BBVA Amex 22.5k|Total Rewards VS 12.5k|SGV 10K|Venture 12k|BOA Virgin Atlantic WEMC 11.2K|MB Amex 9.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.