Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLD from Citi (Update: Recon Success)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLD from Citi (Update: Recon Success)

On 7/17 my new auto loan hit my reports and almost immediately I received a CLD from Citi. They cut my limit by almost 9k!

Since then I've made about 6k in payments towards my cards (two are now paid off, one with a balance of over 5k). 

Trying to talk to CSRs is like pulling teeth. I've tried chatting and calling and they all tell me different things. The last one today finally said they were able to put through the recon, but I've just made some of these payments within the last few days so they won't be reporting. Should I try again once it's all reporting?

The new loan plus this CLD have dropped my scores like a pile of bricks and I am trying to purchase a house, so this really hurts!

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

Re: CLD from Citi

@Anonymous wrote:

On 7/17 my new auto loan hit my reports and almost immediately I received a CLD from Citi. They cut my limit by almost 9k!

Since then I've made about 6k in payments towards my cards (two are now paid off, one with a balance of over 5k). 

Trying to talk to CSRs is like pulling teeth. I've tried chatting and calling and they all tell me different things. The last one today finally said they were able to put through the recon, but I've just made some of these payments within the last few days so they won't be reporting. Should I try again once it's all reporting?

The new loan plus this CLD have dropped my scores like a pile of bricks and I am trying to purchase a house, so this really hurts!

Sorry to hear about the CLD.  How long were you carrying balances on your CITI cards?  I'm assuming that you had those balances prior to the new auto loan hitting your reports, correct?  You added additional debt to your profile.  More debt equals more risk (potentially).  It's a good thing you started to pay those balances down.  Not sure if CITI will budge, but eventually your score will recover.  When are you trying to buy a house?  Normally, big purchases like a vehicle loan are put on hold until the house purchase is done (if it can be avoided).  Good luck with your recon.

Message 2 of 24
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It couldn't hurt. Costs nothing to try. But I don't think your chances are good of accomplishing anything.

Big mistake to apply for anything in the runup to a mortgage application.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 3 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

OP, I would delay the home purchase by a year or two and use the down payment money you have saved up to wipe out all those credit card balances and the auto loan.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Purchasing a different vehicle was a necessity due to issues arising and another baby on the way. It also was suggested by the mortgage company because it lowered my payment by 125.

I’ve carrying a balance since I opened the card because it was 0% for 21 months on BTs. I’ve paid over half of the balance down on this specific card.
Message 5 of 24
Physh1
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're not supposed to make large credit moves while trying to secure a mortgage. Sorry about the CLD...given the times this isn't shocking.

Message 6 of 24
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

Hi @Anonymous , Very sorry for your Citi CLDSmiley Sad

Hope it all works out, so you can buy a house!

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Physh1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're not supposed to make large credit moves while trying to secure a mortgage. Sorry about the CLD...given the times this isn't shocking.

Again, it was suggested by the LO I was working with, as it would bring down my DTI ratio. 

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Hi @Anonymous , Very sorry for your Citi CLDSmiley Sad

Hope it all works out, so you can buy a house!

Thanks!

Message 9 of 24
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous  sorry ☹

If you have any BT offers on your existing cards, you might want to try a BT away from Citi card. 

I dont think they will reinstate your limit if new, lower balances are not reporting yet. 

They might do it afterwards, but there also might be a HP involved, and that doesnt work well right before the mortgage either. 

You could try paying it down to more bearable utilization level (for scoring purposes), but I dont know if that's possible.

In any case, maybe have a talk with your loan officer and see what they recommend you do. 

Again, I'm really sorry this happened to you at the worst possible time. 

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.