Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI 6month rule

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI 6month rule

I applied for a cli online with capital one, was denied since i was previously approved for a limit increase 5 and a half months back. Capital one is dead set on exactly 6 months between account changes it seems. Who has experience with chase and citi bank on the 6 month rule? I expect chase to be a hard pull, possibly same with citi but will they require me to wait an additional week and a half?

please share your experiences.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: CLI 6month rule

If a particular lender has a 6 month rule. It’s nornally 181 days since your last CLI before you are eligible for a customer initiated increase. For certain lenders auto CLI do not follow those rules.

I would imagine It’s hard coded into the computer system so I doubt that there is anyway to get around the 6 months except auto CLI

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 2 of 4
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Citi is firm on the 6 months after receiving a CLI, but 6 months does not need to pass before receiving the first one (I'm 2 for 2 somewhere around 2 months and change on the first one).  Not sure about Chase, but I don't recall ever hearing that they required 6 months between CLIs.  Since they're always a HP anyway, I would imagine that if your profile and/or spending have changed enough in a short period of time, they'd consider it.  You didn't ask about Amex, but may as well throw it out there... 181 between CLIs on any of your accounts, not just the one you want a CLI on.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

This applies to account combinations as well, since they count as CLI's (this is in fact made clear in the terms you're asked to accept during the combo process). For me, since I combined my two accounts on Friday June 29th, I will have to wait at least 181 days, until at least December 29th, before I can request another CLI.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.