Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI Hard or Soft?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CLI Hard or Soft?

Until about 5 minutes ago I didn't know you could call and ask for a CLI.  With that knowledge, I'm going to see if I can get a CLI on my cards to help my UTL.  Before I do, however, I have a few questions.

From reading a few threads, I know that AMEX is a soft pull.  Does anyone know about USBANK, Citi, and Chase?  

How old should an account be before I request a CLI?

Can I request a CLI of 3x every 6 months?  More frequently?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CLI Hard or Soft?

Can't speak for those banks, but with HSBC I was informed that they "may" pull my credit. They didn't and I got an instant CLI.

Message 2 of 14
brian2220
Regular Contributor

if a cli is requested from chase it is a hard pull 100% of the time

dont listen to the csr's 

us bank not sure about because i am new 

and citi it is 50% it might be hard or not

My Cards
BBVA/Compass 2/12 $ 5000 ----- Chase Freedom 12/10 $3000 ---- Cabela's 1/12 $3000 -----US Bank FlexPerks Cash Rewards 6/11 $3000 ----Walmart Discover 10/11 $2814 ------ Discover More 11/11 $2500 ----- Amazon Store Card 2/11 $2100---- Amex Zync 4/11 ---- Citi Dividend Platinum Select 3/11 $1950 ---- BofA Cash Rewards 12/11 $1000
Message 3 of 14
MrShush
Valued Contributor

For me, US Bank was soft, however, the request was declined. Didn't need it but was curious. AMEX typically is soft. Customer initiated with Chase 9 out of 10 times is hard. Fie on CITI!
Message 4 of 14
clocktick
Valued Contributor

Yes, Amex is a soft - about 60 days after receiving the card and every 6 months thereafter you can request one. 

In my experience:

Barclays - HARD

GEMB - SOFT (must show use of the card)

Citi - every 6 months, hard or soft, can request online or call

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I requested a CLI with US Bank after 6 months.  It was a soft.  I asked for $1000 and they gave me $1,500.  Just did a CLI request with Citi Diamond and and requested $1,000 and they gave me $1,000.  It said on the request that your giving them permission to pull credit but after I got the screen that said I was approved it said they did not pull a hard credit report.  So, it may or may not be a hard.

Message 6 of 14
Guava
Established Contributor

For Citi, to make sure it's not a hard pull, you can call in to request CLI and tell the CSR to not pull your report while doing the CLI

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the input everyone. Just requested a CLI to 4000 (from 2000) and got denied.  Called the CSR to see if I could get approved for a smaller increase.  She said that she couldn't change the request and I would have to wait 90 days.

Also, just spoke with US Bank.  All CLI with them require a hard pull.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Thanks for the input everyone. Just requested a CLI to 4000 (from 2000) and got denied.  Called the CSR to see if I could get approved for a smaller increase.  She said that she couldn't change the request and I would have to wait 90 days.

Sorry to hear about the no-go. Was the AMEX really a soft as expected, and does the soft expectation apply also to a luv button on line, or only to a phone request? 

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

Sorry to hear about the no-go. Was the AMEX really a soft as expected, and does the soft expectation apply also to a luv button on line, or only to a phone request? 

Is a "luv button" a link to an online CLI request?  If yes, I didn't have one of those - probably because my account is only about 70 days old.  While looking for that button, however, I did a search on the website and the only thing that came up was "call the number on your card to request a CLI."

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.