Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CLI on Activation - HOW TO

tag
ficus
Regular Contributor

CLI on Activation - HOW TO

Some people have mentioned having gotten a CLI on Activation. How does that work exactly? Do only certain CCC do this and under what circumstances?

Getting a higher CL now is better than getting it later. At least that's how I see it. Sometimes you wait and get a CLI, and sometimes you ask for it and get it. Either way, I suppose it depends on your payment history, current CL, possibly your FICOs, previous requests for a CLI, and your util history, among other factors. So then how does one get a CLI upon Activation, if all these issues are always considered under normal circumstances? And why would a CCC do this in the first place?

I stand to be approved for another card soon, and if I get it, I'd like to try to get a CLI upon Activation. Once the opportunity is gone, it's gone. If it's just a matter of asking, what is the strategy to follow to ask in order to get that CLI upon Activation? Can someone explain in detail?
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ficus
Regular Contributor

Re: CLI on Activation - HOW TO

If the regulars on this website would recommend that I move (if it's even possible) this thread to another, more appropriate section of the forums, so that it'd hopefully get better attention, I'm all for it. Perhaps, I'm being impatient, but it seems that no one seems to want to touch this thread. :-) The thing is that I tried to scour the site for info in this subject but couldn't find anything of value. I'm fascinated by this practice of a CCC giving a CLI BEFORE the person has even shown any activity on the new card. I wish to know why a CCC wouldn't just provide a higher CLI to begin with. I'm sure that they have a reasoning for this.
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

i've tried but hasn't worked for me yet. the only advice i can give is make sure you ask if they are going to do a hard pull or not. i have never chanced a hard pull for cli at activation.
Message 3 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ficus wrote:
If the regulars on this website would recommend that I move (if it's even possible) this thread to another, more appropriate section of the forums, so that it'd hopefully get better attention, I'm all for it. Perhaps, I'm being impatient, but it seems that no one seems to want to touch this thread. :-) The thing is that I tried to scour the site for info in this subject but couldn't find anything of value. I'm fascinated by this practice of a CCC giving a CLI BEFORE the person has even shown any activity on the new card. I wish to know why a CCC wouldn't just provide a higher CLI to begin with. I'm sure that they have a reasoning for this.

We aim to please!Smiley Happy Consider it done!
Message 4 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

The process of a CLI is fast and easy. Upon activation, ask the CSR if you qualify for a CLI without being harded (there's a little bit of Brammy in all of usSmiley Very Happy). They may say yes, yes but we will hard you or no and these are the reasons you have to wait. In some of your other posts you were asking the forum about applying for 2-3 new CCs, if you still plan to do this, I would not attempt a CLI with this CC if it's going to cost you a hard.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 6 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

Fused, thanks for moving this thread. I understand your point. It's definitely a good idea to forgo the CLI request under the circumstances. And I'm thinking Chase, having a policy to pull a hard one on any CLI requests, probably applies these practices to CLI on Activation requests too. I'm also thinking that this CLI request would yield a relatively small result anyway, compared to getting a total CLI that I anticipate from getting a couple of more major cards elsewhere.

Thanks for the link, Ilovepizza.
Message 7 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

ficus wrote:
Fused, thanks for moving this thread. I understand your point. It's definitely a good idea to forgo the CLI request under the circumstances. And I'm thinking Chase, having a policy to pull a hard one on any CLI requests, probably applies these practices to CLI on Activation requests too. I'm also thinking that this CLI request would yield a relatively small result anyway, compared to getting a total CLI that I anticipate from getting a couple of more major cards elsewhere.

Thanks for the link, Ilovepizza.

Not necessarily true. Don't fret just ask. The worst thing they can say is no or we will hard you, it's not like they are going to punch you in your nose.
Message 8 of 10
ficus
Regular Contributor

Oh, I'll definitely ask, just to learn what their policy is in the least. And if they give me a CLI. I've seen a post where people report having a hard one pulled on them when opening a savings account EVEN THOUGH they asked and were assured that there'd be no hard inquiry for that. What was that, WAMU, I think? So, I guess I have to ask... If they tell me that there'd be no hard pull for a CLI on Activation, should I take their word for it? Otherwise, I'm all for getting a CLI, for it'd help me in however small a way. I am still baffled as to why they do this, because after all an approval process must involve significant effort in evaluating how big of a risk I am in their eyes, and based on that they set the initial CL.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

does cap 1 do CLI at activation ever?
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.