Regular Contributor

Re: CSP - Rewards Program Changes

@elim wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

@hiro905 wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

I just received notice in the mail that Chase Sapphire Preferred will no longer offer 2x UR points on airfare and hotel accommodations booked through Chase.com/UltimateRewards as of 1/1/2016! See below. 

So currently CSP offers 3x points for booking through the UR Portal.  When 1/1/2016 rolls around you will lose the extra point making it 2x points when booking through the UR Portal.  So where does it say the CSP will no longer offer 2x UR Points when booking through Chase UR?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My mistake. You are correct. Airfare and hotel accommodations paid via CSP will continue to earn 2x UR points. I have edited my orginal post to correct my error. Thank you!

That's not as bad, but it still sucks.

I can sort of understand this because they have been getting rid of most of the portals in the UR mall. I think they only one that is worth still using is hotels.com. I know it kind of sucks buts its not all doom and gloom. 

mong, what do you use for you hotel stays within the U.S.???

i'm contemplating the Marriott right now for this purpose. anything better???

I'm a HUGE fan of Starwood. http://spg.com

W Hotels are where it goes down. Westin is like Hilton, but MUCH, MUCH better. Check them out. 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 51 of 61
mikelo22
Established Contributor

Chase just keeps chipping away at the benefits, little by little, hoping we don't take notice. The way this is going, I may indeed be downgrading to just the Sapphire when my AF comes up.

Not that I'm a loyal cardmember to begin with though. I just like abusing the signup bonuses. Smiley Very Happy

Message 52 of 61
UTK_GOBO
Valued Member

I thought this is old news ...................Smiley Indifferent I knew about it since early August, I got a email about it.

I have way too many cards ...
Message 53 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@elim wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

@hiro905 wrote:

@WLRK11 wrote:

I just received notice in the mail that Chase Sapphire Preferred will no longer offer 2x UR points on airfare and hotel accommodations booked through Chase.com/UltimateRewards as of 1/1/2016! See below. 

So currently CSP offers 3x points for booking through the UR Portal.  When 1/1/2016 rolls around you will lose the extra point making it 2x points when booking through the UR Portal.  So where does it say the CSP will no longer offer 2x UR Points when booking through Chase UR?  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

My mistake. You are correct. Airfare and hotel accommodations paid via CSP will continue to earn 2x UR points. I have edited my orginal post to correct my error. Thank you!

That's not as bad, but it still sucks.

I can sort of understand this because they have been getting rid of most of the portals in the UR mall. I think they only one that is worth still using is hotels.com. I know it kind of sucks buts its not all doom and gloom. 

mong, what do you use for you hotel stays within the U.S.???

i'm contemplating the Marriott right now for this purpose. anything better???

right now i don't have an dedicated card for that purpose, I have an UR cards for that purpose i think hyatt gives best value. To me hilton and marriot points are worth less than 1 cpp. I would never use any UR points for marriot or MR points for hilton. The value just isn't there for me. I would think about getting an spg or DC card for hotels they have much better choice of partners. 

SPG or DCE are supposed to be pretty good there.

But DCE has that $300 AF.

Yeah i am no thrilled about DCE AF with no signup bonus lol. DCP and SPG i find could be pretty comparable. They both have some nice transfer partners. Too bad neither programs have bonus spending you have to go with DCE for those :-(

My feelings exactly. That, and the fact that I hadn't asked the wife yet is the reason I'd applied for the Premier vs the Elite.

If i were to apply for one it probably would be spg , but i haven't done nearly enough research on the partners, DC seems to give an lot more hotel partners. On the surface i only looked at 65 vs 95 AF for very similar cards. 

I'm a HUGE fan of Starwood, so the SPG AMEX was no brainer for me. Starwood and Delta (my preferred airline) recently announced a partnership where Starpoints and Delta Skymiles crossover. The SPG AMEX does charge foreign transaction fees and it's 1 Starpoint per dollar, except at Starwood properties where it's 3 Starpoints per dollar. The CSP and the SPG AMEX are really different cards, but they are both "travel" cards. 

Age: 20s | AAoA: 2 yrs | FICO Scores: 700s | Inq: EX: ?, EQ: ?, TR: ? | GARDENING AS OF 06/2014

Message 54 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:
I wonder if they are nerf in the chase sapphire too, though Mong indicated the portal might not be that enticing anyway (don't have one, so can't see. Just found out today about Amex's free shop runner membership, and slowly learning about the other perks in the program).

AMEX is stepping it up in everything but the Lifetime bonus limit and the fact they STILL don't give any type of free FICO score, Unless you count pressing CLI button daily and getting a letter a few days later a free FICO score.

ROFL Smiley Very Happy

Message 55 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Geez yall, tell us how ya really feel about AMEX, Lol.

Well, since you asked... It's real love/hate relationship. I love the benefits, but hate their "customer service". I think they're rude. Even Capital One has better customer service. Plus, they haven't given me a CLI since I was approved about 10 months ago!!! Darn internal score. Even the EO couldn't do anything about it... twice! 

BOA and Chase seem to love me, though, and they both have outstanding customer service. 

Message 56 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was probably the biggest whiner about amex during the whole summer. I would see friends get 50k signup bonus for PRG, with scores about 150 less than me and paper thin aaoa. Once i realized that they don't care for me as an customer then i got over it . Just have to find what card is best for me no matter who the CCC is. 

It's funny...

AMEX has been loyal to me as i've been to them.

When my other CC's went into lates and eventually C/O. I clung to them and did everything I could to not default.

In return, they never CLD'd me from $5,000 even when my scores took a nosedive into the 500's.

To this day, the only negative things I have to say about them come from my Wife's experience with them. She has NEVER gotten a CLI on her Costco TE card in 4 years. CS always seems to be snippy with her, to the point she made me account manager so I would deal with them instead. Now they're trying to bogart her 25K MR bonus on the PRG. She met the spend same as I did and my Points showed up Immediately after meeting the spend.

Interesting. How does your income and asset profile compare to your wife's? I wonder if that's what holding her back. I haven't gotten a CLI on my SPG AMEX since I was approved 10 months ago! EO says that it's my internal score... Good luck to your wife! 

Message 57 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@sillykitty1 wrote:

@IcEWoLF wrote:

Well there is still one more year....but after these benefits the CSP will look pretty stupid compared to the Arrival.

@I will probably keep it if they keep their AF @ $95...if it goes up it will be time to partway with the CSP.

I use my CSP for almost everything except the 5% categories on Freedom/Discover. I've got the Arrival+ this summer for the signup bonus and the card itself it amazing for travels...

I enjoy the CSP Customer service, they have been A+, but if the AF goes up then it will not be enough to keep me.

I think that the Arrival and CSP are two very different cards.  The Arrival is a cash back card, only.  The CSP can be used for cash back, the the real value is transfer to miles or points programs.  One can certainly get more than 2.22% back by transfering UR pionts, and using them efficiently.

I also don't agree with all the gloom and doom with this UR announcement.  The only real change is the loss of the extra point when booking through the UR portal.  Booking through the UR portal puts loyalty program points and qualification at risk.  So I think the heaviest travelers who get the most use out of the card, wouldn't be using this feature anyway.

+1

Message 58 of 61
WLRK11
Regular Contributor

@UTK_GOBO wrote:

I thought this is old news ...................Smiley Indifferent I knew about it since early August, I got a email about it.

It probably is old news, but in August, I didn't even have a CSP! I just recieved this notice in the mail, so I figured I would post here it to let errbody know. 

Message 59 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@WLRK11 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

I was probably the biggest whiner about amex during the whole summer. I would see friends get 50k signup bonus for PRG, with scores about 150 less than me and paper thin aaoa. Once i realized that they don't care for me as an customer then i got over it . Just have to find what card is best for me no matter who the CCC is. 

It's funny...

AMEX has been loyal to me as i've been to them.

When my other CC's went into lates and eventually C/O. I clung to them and did everything I could to not default.

In return, they never CLD'd me from $5,000 even when my scores took a nosedive into the 500's.

To this day, the only negative things I have to say about them come from my Wife's experience with them. She has NEVER gotten a CLI on her Costco TE card in 4 years. CS always seems to be snippy with her, to the point she made me account manager so I would deal with them instead. Now they're trying to bogart her 25K MR bonus on the PRG. She met the spend same as I did and my Points showed up Immediately after meeting the spend.

Interesting. How does your income and asset profile compare to your wife's? I wonder if that's what holding her back. I haven't gotten a CLI on my SPG AMEX since I was approved 10 months ago! EO says that it's my internal score... Good luck to your wife! 

She actually edges me out by about $8,000, but our rental's Income is in my name. Assets are comparable.

I'm sure it's her internal score. But i'm not sure why. She's never been late with a payment, never paid JUST the minimum.

@Anonymous ran a balance for 5-6mos @ ~20-30% UTL when we got married. Then paid it off with part of her bonus for the year.

We're not sure what to think here other than the Costco TE is hard to get a CLI on.

Message 60 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.