Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP for me?

tag
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

CSP for me?

I know there are a lot of posts about chances to get XXX card.  I would like to take advantage of that knowledge.

I will preface this by saying I understand there are a multitude of factors CC issuers will take into consideration, I would just like to gauge my chances and you guys and gals thoughts.

Here are the pertinent stats -

EQ 638 (10 inq), TU 679 (12 inq), EX 666 (5inq)

AAoA approx 2 years

Util 6%

Few baddies, all medical, all over 6 years old.  Some falling off by the end of this year the remaining early next year. 

Just got a few cards on 3/19, two of which were the Freedom (2k) and Marriott (5k).  Tried AARP but they said they like 30 days between applications. 

I have read a lot how well the CSP and Freedom work together and would like to take advantage of this.  We (DH and I and family) are at a point where travel is going to frequent within the next few years and would like to take as much advantage of that as possible, with rewards and so forth.

I have seen the Db where similar scores are approved and have even read on these forums about approvals with similar scores/files and so forth.

After this...no more cards for a good long while. 

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and thanks!!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP for me?

I would wait till at least august so your Freedom card is at least 5 months old and your score has recovered from the new cards, and chase gets to know you. You can use your freedom card to start earning rewards, if you want to travel in the next 7 months or so, don't use your freedom points, untill you move them to the CSP card and consider best uses,  for travel,  UR points transfered to the CSP are redeamed at 1.25, others may get you better deals transfering them to various airline programs. But the 5k marriot card is a good sign, shows that you will have experience with a 5k or greater CL that the CSP comes with. 6 months after the CSP card arrives and your score has healed you can think about the chase Southwest card, i got a nice 50k miles by getting that card,  40k from CSP + 50k from southwest, and some hotel points pretty much got me a 5 day trip in callifornia for about $100 out of pocket. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 8
CraigHwk
Regular Contributor

I have a file very similar to yours, although mine is scored a bit lower. My medical collections are from '12 and '13.   I got approved for the Sapphire today, so it is possible.  Got a bunch of cards last month, including the Freedom.   I swear I have some weird credit luck riding with me.  

A betting man would tell you to hang tight for a little longer before applying.  If you don't care about a HP and don't need any other credit for a while (loans, mortgages), then you don't really have anything to lose.

USAA MC ✪ Amex BCP, SPG, Platinum ✪ Chase Sapphire Preferred, Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, Marriott Rewards, United Explorer ✪ Discover IT ✪ CapOne QS ✪ Fidelity Visa ✪ BarclaysPlatinum Rewards ✪ Citi Double Cash

Starting EX FICO (2010): 513 | Current FICO: EX 759, EQ: 773, TU: 761
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would give it another year, age the Freedom and let the baddies fall off.  It'll still be there when that happens. 

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Eyisila wrote:

Just got a few cards on 3/19, two of which were the Freedom (2k) and Marriott (5k).  Tried AARP but they said they like 30 days between applications. 

This is probably your biggest barrier more than anything.  You tried for 3 Chase cards all at once?

I'm pretty sure Chase is going to max you at 2 cards for awhile til they get to know you better.  

Chase has ALOT of tasty cards;but also unfortunate because they have SO MANY, you kind of have to pick and choose which ones you REALLY want.

Message 5 of 8
Eyisila
Frequent Contributor

Thanks everyone for the info. 

@Craig....yea your post about the approval is what got me thinking.

I don't need to hold off on anything due to a mortgage or loan or whatever so inq are meh for me right now.

@everyone else.  I think that I will follow the advice and probably wait at the very least 6 months to try again.  I just wanted to get the combo rocking as early as possible for a couple of trips planned for next year. 

Thanks all, as always great insight!!!!!!

Message 6 of 8
noobody
Established Contributor

Life is short, don't listen to those always wait for 6 -12 months for anything people.
I would apply NOW, worst case, you get 7-10 notice, do the recon, move 1K from freedom and 4K from Marriott. here comes your CSP.
you do not need high CL on freedom as it is Capped, and your Marriott is useless outside Marriott spending.
EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 7 of 8
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@noobody wrote:
Life is short, don't listen to those always wait for 6 -12 months for anything people.
I would apply NOW, worst case, you get 7-10 notice, do the recon, move 1K from freedom and 4K from Marriott. here comes your CSP.
you do not need high CL on freedom as it is Capped, and your Marriott is useless outside Marriott spending.

It can certainly be prudent to wait if you don't want a $500 limit at 22.99%. While that wouldn't apply with a CSP anyway, it's still usually why people say wait sometimes. You can recon til the cows come home, it doesn't mean you're going to get approved. There are plenty of people who reconned several times for cards and still can't get them. It's not a magic wand.

Yes, being able to get in and then move your limits with Chase makes a case for "just go ahead and do it", but OP, I'd suggest waiting a little while as well.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.