Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP or PRG

tag
Networth
Frequent Contributor

CSP or PRG

I currently have a Amex Blue Sky that I use for everything, unless BoA is running a 5% cash back deal. I'm Intrested in possibly getting a new card so I looked and I am Pre-Approved for Chase Saphire Preffered, but also looking at the Amex PRG or possibly Barclays Arrival World Master card. Not sure which is the "best"  I would appreciate any opinions from you kind folks that probably already have these cards. Thanks!

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP or PRG

I honestly think CSP is such a better choice because no AF for the first year, nice sign up bonus, cool looking card and a direct line to a CSR when you have a question. No pressing 0 Smiley Wink

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 2 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

Which airlines / hotels do you usually use most? Or do you generally just fly / stay with whichever that provides you with the most convenience or lowest price?
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 9
Networth
Frequent Contributor

I typically go with the most convenient. So if I am going to Boston I like the Ritz because its right across from The Common, but if I’m in Orlando ill usually priceline a 4 star because they are cheap and above average quality, and family friendly. Funny you ask though because I was considering becoming one of those people that sticks with one hotel brand, than join there reward program/CC. For Airlines my GF has a Southwest CC so if we fly domestic is usually them, and we don't fly International much at the moment.

Chase Sapphire Reserve - American Express Blue Sky - Chase Freedom - - Chase Freedom Unlimited - BankAmericard Travel Rewards -

TU 813 EX 809 EQ 812
Message 4 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

From what you described the CSP sounds like a good fit, since chase partners with both SW and ritz.

Only reason I asked if because if you don't have a general preference for airlines / hotels, one is generally better off going with a all-round travel credits card (like the arrival) for simplicity and flexibility.

UR and MR are generally worth more ccp wise but if one does not utilize their travel partners, then those points are worth 1ccp which is the same as general cards minus the flexibility.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 5 of 9
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

CSP

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 6 of 9
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@enharu wrote:
From what you described the CSP sounds like a good fit, since chase partners with both SW and ritz.

Only reason I asked if because if you don't have a general preference for airlines / hotels, one is generally better off going with a all-round travel credits card (like the arrival) for simplicity and flexibility.

UR and MR are generally worth more ccp wise but if one does not utilize their travel partners, then those points are worth 1ccp which is the same as general cards minus the flexibility.

The CSP can be used like an all around travel card by booking throught the UR Portal....  the points net you 1.25CPM by doing it that way...  so there is quite a bit more flexability there then the PRG

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Another edit failure...

Responding to the 1.25 points:  that's true, but you also need to take earnings into account.  Something like the Arrival can give 2.2 cents per $ spend when redeeming for travel, most spending on the CSP will give 1.25(*1.07 with anniversary) so that is less.  But if you buy other stuff through the UR mall, you can get more points, so the calculation can be complex.

But I think enharu's point is that the "big" UR/MR point valuations come from transfer to partners.

Message 8 of 9
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Networth wrote:

Not sure which is the "best"

Depends on who you ask.  Best is highly subjective regardless of topic.  We'd need more info from you in order to give you recommendations.  Otherwise people are just making recommendations based on their own preferences and priorities which may or may not be in line with your own.  Is your Blue Sky old enough that backdating would be of benefit to you and does that matter to you?  Does one card partner with more companies that are relevant to you?  Does one have benefits that are better suited to you?  Does one's reward structure seem better suited to you?  Do the sign on bonuses (or lack of) matter to you?

If one of these was universally best then we'd all have that card.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.