Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP or a Freedom Card First?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP or a Freedom Card First?

Hey guys,

I'm prequalified for the Freedom, Freedom Unlimited (both $200 offer), and the CSP with the 60k offer. Just want some opinions on what to get first.

I'm thinking of using the FU as a daily driver once my Discover 2% back for the first year is up (anniversary in January), but it seems to have 1.25*1.5=1.875% cash back value if transferred as Ultimate Rewards and redeemed through CSP travel. Technically a 2% cash back card would give higher, but then there's the Chase transfer partners.

I don't like this quarter's category for the Freedom so I'll consider that later.

I don't travel that much (maybe 1 overseas flight annually), but I plan on using the CSP for 2% back on all restaurants (I don't cook). However, I'll be booking an overseas flight soon for Christmas, and I'm guessing 60k is a lot of points!

Thanks for any input! Have a nice day :-).

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
FieryDance
Frequent Contributor

Re: CSP or a Freedom Card First?

If you are at 3/24 or lower and can meet the minimal spend get CSP first and use the points for your trip.  Three months later in January, get the Freedom Unlimited to take over your Discover. 

Message 2 of 11
SoCalifornia
Frequent Contributor

FireyFICO's suggestion is fairly solid.
60k UR points equate to $600 returned, $750 redeemed thru Chase's travel portal.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't app for both at once, this may lead to AA (closure of one or both accounts once a human reviews).

I'd go with whatever one will net you the most rewards first.  If you can spend the $4K to get the CSP SUB right away, go with that one first, especially since you have travel planned.  If you can net more with a CF or CFU, get that one first.  Then wait 3-6 months to app for the other card.

I got the CFU 2 months ago and "may" get a CSP in a couple years.  I figure I can accumulate UR points with the CFU on general spend for a while, and when I'm in a better position financially and score-wise (need to garden a while), I can jump on the CSP later on.

Message 4 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Your goal should be the CSR where your FU + CSR. Earn will be a minimum of 2.25. If qualified, I would open a CSP now, get a FU in 3-6 months, then upgrade to a CSR in one year's time after your AF posts.

As I understand it, you can sometimes make better earnings transferring the points to a travel partner therefore when you book through the UR portal your minimum redemption will be at 1.25\1.5 for the CSP\CSR. That is your floor.

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I wouldn't app for both at once, this may lead to AA (closure of one or both accounts once a human reviews).

Yeah, it was a nice idea, but when I researched it too, seems like Chase closed that loophole especially with people trying to get around 5/24.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

Your goal should be the CSR where your FU + CSR. Earn will be a minimum of 2.25. If qualified, I would open a CSP now, get a FU in 3-6 months, then upgrade to a CSR in one year's time after your AF posts.

Do you know if it's a good idea to first downgrade the CSP to a CF or CFU, then apply directly for CSR after 2 years for the second sapphire bonus (think 2 years is the rule)? Not in a hurry to get the CSR, but think will eventually get it especially with the $300 travel credit offsetting the annual fee.

Message 7 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@randomguy1 wrote:

Do you know if it's a good idea to first downgrade the CSP to a CF or CFU, then apply directly for CSR after 2 years for the second sapphire bonus (think 2 years is the rule)? Not in a hurry to get the CSR, but think will eventually get it especially with the $300 travel credit offsetting the annual fee.

It has been amended to 48 months awhile ago.

Your options are:

1. Apply to CSR now

2. Apply to CSP now and upgrade to CSR after a year (no sub for CSR)

3. Apply to CSP now and downgrade after a year. Apply to CSR (no sub due to 48 month rule)

4. Do as suggested above

What is your 5/24 status?

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm at 2/24. Yeah thanks for the heads-up; I'm probably not waiting for 48 months. I'd rather just upgrade the CSP to CSR later (since the CSP has 60k points right now and I don't think I can offset the $450 AF right now). I won't downgrade since I could just get a new CF or CFU card with its own SUB since I can't get the sapphire bonus anyway.

Message 9 of 11
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm at 2/24. Yeah thanks for the heads-up; I'm probably not waiting for 48 months. I'd rather just upgrade the CSP to CSR later (since the CSP has 60k points right now and I don't think I can offset the $450 AF right now). I won't downgrade since I could just get a new CF or CFU card with its own SUB since I can't get the sapphire bonus anyway

My preferred route is to go for the CIP (Chase Ink Preferred) since it's at an 80k bonus if you can meet the spend and requirements, then downgrade it to the Ink Unlimited later. Then apply for the CSR down the road. At that point you would be 3/24 and can seek to pursue other hotel/airline cards if you choose to stay with Chase.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.