Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP or nah?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP or nah?

First Post! Hello everyone! I've recently been awaken to the world of credit cards and benefits of having them.I'd like to start saving points for travel and I know the CSP is one of the better options for credt cards in regards travel rewards but I'm a bit worried I'm not going to be approved for it and I'll have another hp on my record. Here's a rundown of my situation:

4 hard pulls (2 w/ chase, 1 student loan, 1 apartment)

3 delinquents w/ student loans (2011-2012) - All student loans are current now

Chase Freedom $1000 October last year (Also applied for a SW card later in the same month but was denied)

BoA graduated secured card $500

AAoA is 6.3 years

Credit utilization is 0% this month but I kept it around 30% for the past couple of months.

Fico 8

EQ - 697

TU - 716

EX - 713

I know the CSP has a minimum CL of $5000 and I currently don't have that yet so is there a chance they'd approve me? I'd love some advice on what I should do or if there are other good travel card recomendations. I just picked Chase cause I'm already saving UR with the Freedom but I'm open to other rewards programs.

27 REPLIES 27
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: CSP or nah?

While Chase generally likes to see experience with higher CL's i.e. $5k plus, before approving a card like CSP, there have been outliers. You have nothing to lose by applying except an inquiry. The only thing that would concern me is your low limits and your previous SW denial. Everything else in your profile looks good though. Best of luck if you decide to proceed, it's a great card and would be a nice companion for your freedom.
Message 2 of 28
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Oh and by the way, Welcome to the forums!!!!
Message 3 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! Their reason for denying me the SW card was beacuse I didn't have a long enough history with them.

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP

Message 5 of 28
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

First Post! Hello everyone! I've recently been awaken to the world of credit cards and benefits of having them.I'd like to start saving points for travel and I know the CSP is one of the better options for credt cards in regards travel rewards but I'm a bit worried I'm not going to be approved for it and I'll have another hp on my record. Here's a rundown of my situation:

Chase Freedom $1000 October last year (Also applied for a SW card later in the same month but was denied)

AAoA is 6.3 years

Credit utilization is 0% this month but I kept it around 30% for the past couple of months.

Fico 8

EQ - 697

TU - 716

EX - 713

I know the CSP has a minimum CL of $5000 and I currently don't have that yet so is there a chance they'd approve me? I'd love some advice on what I should do or if there are other good travel card recomendations. I just picked Chase cause I'm already saving UR with the Freedom but I'm open to other rewards programs.

there is nothing wrong with a csp, you end up with 59K with the add of an au and the $4K spend.  can you meet the spend in 3 months is the first question. a nearly sure fire way to see your chances is to go into a branch and see if  there is a pre-approval there waiting for you.  if yes then I would give it a shot.  the csr has 2x the pts until 3/11 but that would probably be a long shot

Message 6 of 28
noobody
Established Contributor

I would suggest go for it if OP has decent income(50K?)

EX819 1HP|TU797 1HP| EQ(Fico8 BankCard)841
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bourgogne wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA is 6.3 years

Fico 8

EQ - 697

TU - 716

EX - 713

there is nothing wrong with a csp, you end up with 59K with the add of an au and the $4K spend.  can you meet the spend in 3 months is the first question. a nearly sure fire way to see your chances is to go into a branch and see if  there is a pre-approval there waiting for you.  if yes then I would give it a shot.  the csr has 2x the pts until 3/11 but that would probably be a long shot

I'd ultimately want to get the CSR but I know it is a long shot.. I would definitely be able to spend the 4K in bills and rent + everyday expenditures. Thanks for the advice!

Message 8 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@noobody wrote:

I would suggest go for it if OP has decent income(50K?)

Yes I forget to list that.. gross income is at $50K + side jobs (web development). Is that something I should include in my application? 

Message 9 of 28
creditguy
Valued Contributor

If you include it on your tax returns feel free to put it on your application.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.