Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSP vs. NFCU Flagship Rewards

tag
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Re: CSP vs. NFCU Flagship Rewards

How is Chase's customer service? NFCU customer service is incredible.. on the phone with a rep (based in US) in less than four minutes 24/7. If I went with a luxury card like CSP I'd have a super high bar for it to meet in order for the customer service to be approproiate. 

Does chase offer stop payments? That's one thing NFCU lacks

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 11 of 20
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

I am not airline loyal and go with whomever is cheapest, for starters. I rent A LOT of cars through enterprise since I am based in San Francisco and don't own/need a car until I go on trips out of the city. Access to airport lounges would be stellar but at this level it doesn't seem reasonable (would have to bump up to CSR).

Current Open: NFCU AMEX $6,800 CL | Chase Freedom $3,800 CL | QS1 $1,300 CL | BankAmericard $24,000 CL (AU) | NFCU SSL $3,000 |
FICO 8 EXP, EQ, TU: 675-715 (depending on Utl.) | AAoA 3 Years 3 Months | AoYA 0 Months

Closed: American Honda Finance Installment $16,000 paid satisfactorily | Capital One Secured $700 paid satisfactorily | Wells Fargo credit card $3,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015) | Bank of America credit card $1,000 paid charge off settled less than full amount (badie 2015)
Message 12 of 20
kilroy8
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As noted, if you don't plan to get other UR earning cards to go with it, CSP is not your best option.

As far as the prices, if you are someone who holds out for discounts/specials - the portal won't match those. It does match current fares, though - no markup.

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditSage wrote:

I am not airline loyal and go with whomever is cheapest, for starters. I rent A LOT of cars through enterprise since I am based in San Francisco and don't own/need a car until I go on trips out of the city. Access to airport lounges would be stellar but at this level it doesn't seem reasonable (would have to bump up to CSR).

NFCU it is then. Its not easy to get 2cpp+ for UR if you only book lowest fare class.

BTW, even if you aren't airline loyal, still join the programs and stash some points, its close to 10% reward of the cash you spend. It will worth something some years down the road (do mind miles expiration date).

Message 14 of 20
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@CreditSage wrote:  "I'm not that well versed in the transfer schemes.  ... My perspective has always been, "okay great, you get these points but then the hotel, airfare, or rental car cost more to begin so what's the gain?" Am I wrong in this thinking?"

Yes.  Points (MR or UR or TY or whatever) can be a tricky thing.  With some CU programs I have been with, what you said is true.  Points weren't always worth 1 cent per point, depending on how you choose to redeem. 

However, with the big lender programs like AMEX, Chase, and Citi which give you ability to transfer points to travel partners, the dynamics change.  Those points can become much more valuable than their pure cash value.  You can't REDEEM them for that higher value in cash money, but if you're looking to upgrade to higher cabin travel by airlines or nicer hotel rooms, it seems they pay off the best.  Basically, they pay best when they help enhance your travel experience, so it's a different way of thinking about value.  The value of the points also varies by airline or hotel chain, so YMMV and it takes some work to make sure you are getting a satisfactory value, which is purely subjective. 

So it's all about what you value.  If you're a pure cash-back consumer and economy traveler and you want simplicity of redemption, you might not appreciate the large points programs as well or get more value from them.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 15 of 20
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

I've been digging into this more and while the flagship gives me better return (3 points travel vs the saphires 2) the CSP has much better protections like travel insurance, primary car rental insurance, etc. Do you think those ancillary benefits might make the CSP outweigh the flagship?

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go with CSR - 4.5x on travel, flexible $300 annual travel credit and additional travel perks. Even the PenFed Pathfinder is better than NFCU Flagship. Flagship is a cashback card not a travel card. 

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditSage wrote:

I've been digging into this more and while the flagship gives me better return (3 points travel vs the saphires 2) the CSP has much better protections like travel insurance, primary car rental insurance, etc. Do you think those ancillary benefits might make the CSP outweigh the flagship?

I am seeing you really want csp. Those protections are indeed good, albeit mostly for peace of mind.

If you want to go down that route, do take a look at CSR, it may be better for you if your spending habit fit, and you have the fico score and history to get it (it requires a minimum 10k CL).

If you are unsure if you can get CSR at this time, you can get CSP and PC to CSR a year after.

Message 18 of 20
CreditSage
Regular Contributor

Are you able to PC from CSP to CSR? I feel like I've read a bunch of posts from people struggling to do that...?

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC is very easy, a simple call is what it takes.

You do need to get CSP's CL to 10k+ though.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.