Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR Fee Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR Fee Credit

I'm curious if anyone has tried to obtain a fee credit for the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  I don't expect anyone would get a full credit, but it would seem theres wiggle room for up to $150 in credits.  If you've tried and succeeded or failed, please share the story.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
bz386
Frequent Contributor

Re: CSR Fee Credit

There is a similar thread on Flyertalk and there's not a single report of anyone getting even a small part of the annual fee back. I would be surprised to hear if anyone got anything, considering that Chase lost $200m with all the hype surrounding the CSR and the 100K signup bonus.

Message 2 of 16
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

According to Doctor of Credit, Chase tightened up their annual fee refund policies for all their cards in October 2016.  What are you trying to do?  Downgrade from CSR to CSP?  Cancel the CSR completely?  What I recommend is that you use your $300 travel credit, effectively reducing your $450 fee to $150, and then cancel the card before the next fee is due.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 3 of 16
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

wrote:

According to Doctor of Credit, Chase tightened up their annual fee refund policies for all their cards in October 2016.  What are you trying to do?  Downgrade from CSR to CSP?  Cancel the CSR completely?  What I recommend is that you use your $300 travel credit, effectively reducing your $450 fee to $150, and then cancel the card before the next fee is due.

Chase would not shed a tear if you close the CSR.  They would just make sure that you won't get the bonus again for at least 24 months or longer.... 

The card pays itself.  If not, then you get the wrong card.  Time to close it and move on....  Good luck.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

wrote:

I'm curious if anyone has tried to obtain a fee credit for the Chase Sapphire Reserve.  I don't expect anyone would get a full credit, but it would seem theres wiggle room for up to $150 in credits.  If you've tried and succeeded or failed, please share the story.

As others have said, the chances of you getting a lower AF are virtually none.  What makes you think there is $150 ‘wiggle room’.  I’ve seen nothing to indicate that they will negotiate a lower AF so curious where you got that idea and number from.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ive never understood the issue with paying for the AF. Seems to me that if you cant afford the 350 to 450 fees that come with higher end cards then you shouldnt have them to begin with.
I have the Ritz (grand-fathered) and the CSR and they are worth much much more than the fees cost. Id love the amex platinum but since i dont use Centurion lounge due to the 2 airports i use a lot chicago and atlanta and i dont use uber ever that makes this card useless to me.
Back on topic i do like saving money but people on here trying to find a way to not pay a AF while keeping all the bennies is laughable to me.
Message 6 of 16
arkane
Established Contributor

wrote:
Ive never understood the issue with paying for the AF. Seems to me that if you cant afford the 350 to 450 fees that come with higher end cards then you shouldnt have them to begin with.
I have the Ritz (grand-fathered) and the CSR and they are worth much much more than the fees cost. Id love the amex platinum but since i dont use Centurion lounge due to the 2 airports i use a lot chicago and atlanta and i dont use uber ever that makes this card useless to me.
Back on topic i do like saving money but people on here trying to find a way to not pay a AF while keeping all the bennies is laughable to me.

Honestly that's just being smart. Banks will decide for themselves if you can have your cake and eat it too. From my end, if all it takes is a 10 minute phone call to save $30+ on my annual fee, I call it a win.

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 7 of 16
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

Honestly that's just being smart. Banks will decide for themselves if you can have your cake and eat it too. From my end, if all it takes is a 10 minute phone call to save $30+ on my annual fee, I call it a win.

I agree with this to a point. There are some people that call to see if there are any retention offers for their accounts if they're iffy on keeping the card open and that's as about as good as you're gonna get. For example there have been some recent posts on people getting retention offers on their Platinum and PRG cards from AMEX; even good to check even if you're going to be keeping the card regardless there's no harm in checking with banks to see.

Message 8 of 16
SBR249
Established Contributor

I think there is a fine line between being smart and being obnoxious though. Just like that lady that took advantage of Costco's return policy and returned a live christmas tree in January, some things are technically possible or allowed under a policy. But it may be a good idea not to go crazy because that's the fastest way to get something nerfed or ruin it for everyone else. 

Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes i didnt mean you cant try, but im getting tired of hearing people say that (insert bank name here) didnt give them a lower AF. You signed up for the card and the terms. When i had cable (dish&DTV) i called every 3 or 6 months to see if they had anything free or reduced. But if i didnt get any i was dine paying the regular payments.
Newer People on here seem to think that they can sign up for the 1st yr free then BEG for the following YEARS to also be free. It seems i am becoming more like my parents every day and think people need to MAN or WOMAN up and just pay what was agreed to and stop acting like a spoiled rich brat.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.