Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CSR primary coverage and rental?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR primary coverage and rental?

my brother had to get his car fixed due to an accident, so he opted for a rental. He has insurance through AAA, and I told him to make sure to use the CSR to get primary coverage. But he said that AAA will cover any and all damages even on a rental. Is this true that there's no need to rent a car with CSR/CSP if it concerns insurance companies? Would he only need the primary coverage from the CSR if he rented a car for leisure purposes? Thanks!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: CSR primary coverage and rental?

@Anonymous wrote:

my brother had to get his car fixed due to an accident, so he opted for a rental. He has insurance through AAA, and I told him to make sure to use the CSR to get primary coverage. But he said that AAA will cover any and all damages even on a rental. Is this true that there's no need to rent a car with CSR/CSP if it concerns insurance companies? Would he only need the primary coverage from the CSR if he rented a car for leisure purposes? Thanks!

He can use his auto insurance to cover the rental vehicle while his is being repaired. Not all policies work the same, but if AAA told him that his policy allows coverage for the rental vehicle, he's definitely covered as if he were driving his own car.

There are all sorts of fine print rules when it comes to rentals because of an accident. If an insurance company is paying the bill for the rental through direct billing with the rental agency, then he can't use the CSR coverage. The reason is, the credit card has to be the primary form of payment for the rental and since he's not paying for it, then the CSR won't cover it.

If he's paying for the rental out of his pocket, he can use the CSR as primary coverage. The reason he'd want the CSR to cover the rental vehicle is to avoid any possible claims against his AAA policy again if something were to happen to it. That's the last thing he'd want because insurance companies love to raise rates and use any excuse to do that.

For leisure, you'd want to use the CSR as primary coverage for the same reason above. Just keep in mind that the coverage is only for the rental. No personal accident insurance or liability protection. You can use your auto policy for that or purchase the coverage from the rental agency, which I never do unless my company is paying for it.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.