Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I join USAA or NFCU?

tag
CreditWorld2013
Frequent Contributor

Can I join USAA or NFCU?

I've seen many people say great things about both USAA and especially NFCU...so it got me thinking. My grandfather was in the Army a long time ago and even received the purple heart. The issue is he passed away about 3-4 years after I was born and I don't believe he ever had any of these banks. His wife/my grandmother passed away a few years after as well. How can I find out if he was ever a member? I'm curious to know if I would be eligible even if he wasn't a member as it says grandchildren? Thanks!

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Re: Can I join USAA or NFCU?

Call them!
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 2 of 21
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

Try to find out how your grands was discharged from the military and check to see if he was on retirement benefits.Also call NFCU and give them your grand pop's name,city and SS if you have it.They should be able to give you info if its on file. Do you have a family member or inlaw that was in the military? Could be a way to join just have to look for it.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 3 of 21
Swapmeet
Valued Contributor

@MountainHiker wrote:

Try to find out how your grands was discharged from the military and check to see if he was on retirement benefits.Also call NFCU and give them your grand pop's name,city and SS if you have it.They should be able to give you info if its on file. Do you have a family member or inlaw that was in the military? Could be a way to join just have to look for it.

Anyone can join USAA now. Having a relative that was in the Army is good enough for them -- they don't make you prove it or anything. NFCU is much more strict.

My Wallet:
WalMart: ||15k|| USAA Platinum MC: ||26k|| BCE: ||9k|| Chase Freedom Siggy: ||10k|| Discover it: ||6.5k|| SG Visa: ||11k||
USAA World MC: ||23k|| US Bank Cash+ Siggy: ||7.5k|| Citi TYP World MC: ||12k|| Barclays Arrival World MC: ||13k||Citi Double Cash World MC ||25k||Sallie Mae World MC ||18.8k||Fico Scores (3 Fico Monitoring): EQ 751,TU 749, EX 743. Last app: 9-12-14 Sallie
Message 4 of 21
tcburks3

You can check with your parents and see if they were members through your grandad.  If neither your grandad or parents were not members then becoming a full member would be tough.  Someone in the family bloodline must have at some point had insurance with them.  Even if your parents were not in the military then they could have been members through your grandads association had he been a member.  Was your grandad an officer or enlisted?  They just recently changed in the last 4-5yrs taking honorably discharged enlisted as members.  Prior to that you had to have been an officer to join.  If not eligiable for insurance you would be eligiable for banking services through them.. You cal either call them or go to their website.  usaa.com and check to see if you are eligiable or not.  Good Luck hope this helps.

Message 5 of 21
tcburks3

Not anyone can join USAA now.  Only banking products are available to non members.  Insurance is still member only.

Message 6 of 21
MountainHiker
Established Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

Anyone can join USAA now. Having a relative that was in the Army is good enough for them -- they don't make you prove it or anything. NFCU is much more strict.

Good point about USAA.

EQ-732FICO,EX-PLUS 740,TU-725FICO
Goal 750 Across

NFCU Signature Cash Rewards Visa, Chase Freedom Visa, Wells Fargo Visa Secured
Message 7 of 21
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@Swapmeet wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I hope that doesn't make people start lying xD 

Message 8 of 21
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Well anyone can join USAA as an associate member. What that means is you are not eligible for their insurance products or certain credit products. If you have any type of prior service you can join as a full member. If a family member has any type of prior service they can join as a full member but they must have an insurance product through USAA to qualify their relatives for full membership. A deceased family member will not qualify you unless they were full members with an insurance product.

I qualified as a full member through an enlistment in the USN. I am not retired or disabled pension. Just the information on my service dates was enough for them to verify me. Their insurance products are extremely competitive for me and I have all my insurance through them (home / auto/ umbrella). I gather from the information on here that associate members may also not get the best interest rates or the highest credit lines on their credit cards but it is unproven if this is a USAA policy or just conjecture by the forum members.

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 21
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

@Swapmeet wrote:

@MountainHiker wrote:

I hope that doesn't make people start lying xD 

Integrity First, Service Before Self, Excellence in All We Do.

I think that civilians should be greatful that USAA has laxed some of its membership requirements over the recent years.  Then they should be remember by who and for who USAA was created.  Then they should be so disgraced by themselves for even thinking about lying.

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.