cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Synchrony Home credit card be used as Discover?

tag
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

Can Synchrony Home credit card be used as Discover?

I came across something interesting on Synchrony's site and wondered if it really means what it kind of implies. Here's the blurb from their FAQ about how to shop online using your Synchrony Home CC:

SynchronyHome_online_info.png

It's the second paragraph that seems a little ambiguous to me. It could be interpreted as meaning this card is usable as a Discover card at any site. But is it?

Or are they simply saying that if you're on a Synchrony-accepting site AND they don't have the 'pay with Synchrony' option, THEN choose Discover as the card type and it will be accepted?

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Can Synchrony Home credit card be used as Discover?

https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2019/Synchrony-...

'The Synchrony HOME Credit Card is issued and serviced by Synchrony Bank. The company is working with Discover® Global Network to provide greater merchant acceptance within the home category.'

Sounds like to me they're using the Discover payment network to process transactions. So in the event that just inputing the Synchrony HOME card number isn't enough selecting Discover as the card type should push the transaction through. This is assuming that the store/location accepts the Sychrony HOME card in the first place. Seems to be only through selected retailers which can be found on their website that the card can be used

Message 2 of 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

@simplynoir wrote:

https://investorrelations.discover.com/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2019/Synchrony-...

'The Synchrony HOME Credit Card is issued and serviced by Synchrony Bank. The company is working with Discover® Global Network to provide greater merchant acceptance within the home category.'

Sounds like to me they're using the Discover payment network to process transactions. So in the event that just inputing the Synchrony HOME card number isn't enough selecting Discover as the card type should push the transaction through. This is assuming that the store/location accepts the Sychrony HOME card in the first place. Seems to be only through selected retailers which can be found on their website that the card can be used

Yeah, that's basically what I thought, but that second paragraph could be written better! Smiley Happy

Amazon Prime Store CardAmerican Express Blue Cash Preferred CardAmerican Express Everyday CardBank of America Customized Cash VisaCapitalOne Quicksilver MastercardCapitalOne Quicksilver VisaCapitalOne Walmart Rewards MastercardChevron Texaco CardCiti Double Cash MastercardDiscover More CardJCPenney Gold MastercardOverstock.com CardSportsmans Guide Rewards VisaSynchrony Home Card
Message 3 of 5
AlanGJP
Established Contributor

Sync is using the Discover network to process payments from this specific card on websites that take Sync Home. Likely they worked out a deal with Discover to save on their processing fees vs Visa or Mastercard.

To answer your question more directly: No, I seriously doubt it can be used as a Discover card anywhere else - but it won't hurt to try it. Worst case it's declined.

Personal Cards:
Business Cards:
Closed Cards:
Data Points:
Last Updated: 2023/11/09
Message 4 of 5
SoCalGardener
Valued Contributor

So I went straight to the horse's mouth and asked Synchrony. As guessed above, no, it does not/cannot function as a Discover card in general. Its only use is at companies that accept the card itself, but don't recognize it when the number is entered, so they ask which type of card it is, then you specify Discover and it'll process. Case closed! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.