cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can UR points be combined with Bonvoy points earned with an Amex card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can UR points be combined with Bonvoy points earned with an Amex card?

Not sure if this is the right place. But I recently got an email promoting the conversion of my UR points to Marriot Bonvoy points.

So it got me to thinking, can you essentially merge points from Chase UR to the same Bonvoy account that was associated with an Amex Bonvy Biz card? 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can UR points be combined with Bonvoy points earned with an Amex card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure if this is the right place. But I recently got an email promoting the conversion of my UR points to Marriot Bonvoy points.

So it got me to thinking, can you essentially merge points from Chase UR to the same Bonvoy account that was associated with an Amex Bonvy Biz card? 

Yes you can merge the points from a Chase UR account to your Marriott account.  Doesn’t matter that the Bonvoy points are from a business or a personal card. Before doing so though I would make sure that is the best way for you to use the UR points. A 1:1 transfer of UR points to Bonvoy points is not normally the best way to maximize the value of the UR points.  

Message 2 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

You can merge UR to Bonvoy points , but I think the better question to ask is should you convert them to bonvoy. If you are looking for absolutely best value of your UR than Bonvoy is actually pretty bad. If thats not something you care about then transfer away.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't actually planning on it, but was curious since both Chase and Amex have Bonvy products. If you could essentially combine points from both systems, just in case i couldn't find a use for my UR stockpile before a possible devaluation' As that seems to be going around.

Message 4 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't actually planning on it, but was curious since both Chase and Amex have Bonvy products. If you could essentially combine points from both systems, just in case i couldn't find a use for my UR stockpile before a possible devaluation' As that seems to be going around.

I know this isn't exactly related to your question , but I feel like there are better partners than bonvoy that are shared by MR and UR. For example I probably would rather use SQ for star alliance, AF for Skyteam, and BA for Avios. They are all shared by both chase and amex.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 8
wasCB14
Super Contributor

What does Marriott usually charge to purchase points? I wonder if transfers might make sense to "top off" a point balance for a big redemption.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wasCB14 wrote:

What does Marriott usually charge to purchase points? I wonder if transfers might make sense to "top off" a point balance for a big redemption.

Marriott usually charges $12.50 for each 1,000 points purchased. However, ocassionally they will have a special going on, like the one that ended May 15 for 25% discount for a certain amount of points purchased.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I know this isn't exactly related to your question , but I feel like there are better partners than bonvoy that are shared by MR and UR. For example I probably would rather use SQ for star alliance, AF for Skyteam, and BA for Avios. They are all shared by both chase and amex.

Yeah, Skyteam was the other option I was looking into. Likely the most, since Delta is a partner and I need to find a way to redeem those miles as well. Combine everything and take one nice trip. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.