cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you downgrade a CSP or CSR to a no annual fee card?

tag
CashOutReFi
New Contributor

Can you downgrade a CSP or CSR to a no annual fee card?

I thought I had seen somewhere on here that cardholders can opt out of the rewards part and just have a basic Sapphire card with no annual fee. Does this option exist? 

4 REPLIES 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Can you downgrade a CSP or CSR to a no annual fee card?

I think it still does but you can also downgrade to CFF or CFU, which is probably a better option in case you decide to use it in the future. 

Message 2 of 5
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I did CSP to CFU in 2018 and CSR to a second CF in 2020. Not sure what the current rules are about two Freedom cards but some sort of rewards are available on no-AF PC options.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 5
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Chase core cards are PC'able between each other. The only limitation is the minimum CL's on the Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire Reserve. As far as I know, the regular Sapphire is still an option, but CFU/CFF make better transfer options.

Message 4 of 5
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Concur with the above, @CashOutReFi, that while it is possible to downgrade to the original no-AF variant of Sapphire, the Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex cards offer much more value as a downgrade option.  

I had read about that route before but wanted to refamiliarize myself with it, so I did some web research.  It's becoming more and more difficult to find these details, and I turned up nothing from Chase itself on several searches.   The no-AF Sapphire and Sapphire Preferred were launched in August 2009.  By the time the Sapphire Reserve was introduced in August 2016, the no-AF version was no longer available to new applicants but could be accessed via a downgrade route.  With the improvements to the Freedom and Sapphire cards along the way, especially in 2021, it's mostly become obsolete.   Even for very light travel users, the Sapphire Preferred now really packs a lot of value with an even lower effective annual fee.  And the Freedom cards both well outearn the Basic Sappire in UR points accrual. 

Here are some of the major differences between the Sapphire Preferred and Sapphire cards:

• Basic Sapphire has no AF; Sapphire Preferred has $95 AF.  However, after the 2021 enhancements, there is now a $50 credit for hotel stays booked through Chase which reduces the effective AF to only $45. 
  • Basic Sapphire does not offer option to transfer UR points to partner airlines or hotels.
  • Basic Sapphire does not earn the 25% bonus of UR points for travel redemption in the Chase portal.
  • Basic Sapphire earns 2xUR on dining which is same as original Sapphire Preferred before it was enhanced to 3xUR in 2021.  (You can earn more on Dining with the no-AF Freedom Unlimited or Freedom Flex which both earn 3%.)
  • Basic Sapphire earns 2xUR on travel booked through Chase.  After the 2021 enhancements, Sapphire Preferred earns 5xUR on travel booked through Chase plus 2xUR on all other travel charges.  Meanwhile, both Freedom and Freedom Flex have been enhanced to offer 5% back on travel booked through Chase.
  • Basic Sapphire only has secondary CDW on rental cars, while the Preferred and Reserve cards offer primary CDW.
  • Basic Sapphire cover trip cancellation of only $5K versus $10K on Sapphire Preferred/Reserve.
  • Basic Sapphire charges a Foreign Transaction Fee; Sapphire Preferred or Reserve do not.
  • Both cards earn a baseline of 1 UR per dollar spent.
  • Both cards have Roadside Dispatch as opposed to the Roadside Assistance of the Sapphire Reserve.

Since I couldn't find a current benefits guide to the Basic Sapphire, there may be other differences.  Some other benefits of the Sapphire Preferred which may not be available on the Basic Sapphire include Baggage Delay ($100 for 5 days for 6+ hour delay), Trip Delay ($500 for delays 12+ hours), Purchase Protection (120 days from purchase for damage or theft; $500 per claim), Extended Warranty Protection (+1 year on warranty of 3 years or less.)   Sapphire Preferred also has partner benefits with Door Dash, Lyft, and Peloton.

The Freedom cards would both offer superior 3% dining rewards; superior 5% travel rewards booked through Chase; 3% back at drugstores.  Freedom Unlimited would give a higher 1.5% versus 1% base earnings rate.  (The Freedom Unlimited card did not exist in 2009 which is why it now out-earns what once was a premium travel card.)  Freedom Flex would earn the same 1% base earnings rate with the opportunity to earn 5% in rotating categories, up to $1500 per quarter.

Selected Source links below:

Source1   Source2  Source3  Source4  Source5  Source6

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.