Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me pick a credit card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you help me pick a credit card?

I'm trying to read through alllllllllllllll of the posts but it's information overload.  Here's my background info:  

I've got a Capital One Platinum, Capital One Quicksilver, Care Credit and Pottery Barn - which I just got from the shopping cart trip and I legitimately plan to use it because I'm redecorating.  My FAKO scores according to Credit Karma are Trans: 661 and Equifax 665.  I have no idea what they actually are.  My utilization is 29% but I can have it down to 0% or whatever the magic number is within a couple of months.  

I have had pre approval offers from Citi, Chase and American Express.  I'm not sure what I can really get or what I really want for that matter.  I want to start doing some traveling this year with my family but not sure if a miles card is the way to go.  We do eat out quite a bit and spend a big chunk on groceries.  I try to put as much spending as possible on my Quicksilver to get the cashback but I know there's better options.  I also should probably do a balance transfer because my Platinum has like $1100 on it at 22%.  I plan to wipe that out within the next couple months but still.  I know I should probably transfer it.  Just having a hard time figuring out what card would be a good fit.  

What would you add?

14 REPLIES 14
happypill
Valued Contributor

Re: Can you help me pick a credit card?

First regarding your balance transfer idea.  If you're going to pay it off within the next couple of months, it's probably not going to be worth it to do a balance transfer.  Most transfers have an up front fee of 1-3%, so that would offset any savings you might get in interest payments for those two months.

So, you spend on dining out, groceries and travel, which are big categories for pretty much everyone.  I think the main question is, will your spending be significant enough that points or rewards will be a bigger factor, or will the sign-on bonus be a bigger factor?  Think of it this way, $400-500 points worth of sign-on rewards are readily available.  If you consider a standard 2% card, you'd need to spend $20-25k on your card to garner that much in rewards.  For a lot of people, the sign-on bonus is a bigger factor.

One thing you might consider is, if you have specific travel in mind, to use the travel related sign-on bonuses.  The 2 free nights (some have more) available on certain cards could be worth a lot, depending on where you're planning to stay.  Some airline cards might make sense as well if you can take advantage of the points and other perks like free checked baggage.

Message 2 of 15
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Get the 7 day trial for $1 at creditchecktotal to see what your Fico 08 scores are. Depending on those certain cards may have a better chance for a decent SL
Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the person above that says to get your 3B scores from CCT for $1.

OP, it doesn't sound to me like you need another CC right now, but rather want one.  Which is fine.  However, that said, I never recommend that anyone apply for any CCs that they don't need unless their FICO 08's are 700+.  Who knows, maybe upon pulling your scores with CCT you are already there.  If not and you're not far off, paying down your utilization to a single-digit number could get you there.  Again if not, I'd just ride it out a few months longer to make sure you're in the best possible position to get approved and with a favorable SL for whatever card you decide on. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your scores are kind of low. I'd pay off that debt and see if they jump to closer to 700 which I think they will. After that my recommendation would be to go for the the Amex bcp for 6% back on groceries(the $95 af will more than pay for itself and then some) and either the chase sp or CSR depending on how much af you can afford for travel. Both are good but having the CSR I can tell you those rewards add up fast. 

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your scores are kind of low. I'd pay off that debt and see if they jump to closer to 700 which I think they will. After that my recommendation would be to go for the the Amex bcp for 6% back on groceries(the $95 af will more than pay for itself and then some) and either the chase sp or CSR depending on how much af you can afford for travel. Both are good but having the CSR I can tell you those rewards add up fast. 

I agree with waiting for 700 scores, but the OP didn't provide enough spend information to justify your statement that the BCP AF of $95 would be paid for "and then some" as he didn't tell us what his grocery spend is.  He said he spends a "big chunk" which could be defined as $300 a month for some and $300 a week for others.  I'm just saying that the OP should crunch the numbers before jumping on the BCP or any other card for that matter.

Message 6 of 15
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I agree with waiting for 700 scores, but the OP didn't provide enough spend information to justify your statement that the BCP AF of $95 would be paid for "and then some" as he didn't tell us what his grocery spend is.  He said he spends a "big chunk" which could be defined as $300 a month for some and $300 a week for others.  I'm just saying that the OP should crunch the numbers before jumping on the BCP or any other card for that matter.

Right, and where the grocery spend is done is another factor (if it's mainly walmart, BCP may not help)

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very true, and wholesale clubs should be mentioned as well.

About half my grocery spend comes at wholesale clubs which are of course not counted in the grocery spend category for CCs which makes the grocery sector of BCP for example not worth it to me.

Message 8 of 15
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm trying to read through alllllllllllllll of the posts but it's information overload.  Here's my background info:  

I've got a Capital One Platinum, Capital One Quicksilver, Care Credit and Pottery Barn - which I just got from the shopping cart trip and I legitimately plan to use it because I'm redecorating.  My FAKO scores according to Credit Karma are Trans: 661 and Equifax 665.  I have no idea what they actually are.  My utilization is 29% but I can have it down to 0% or whatever the magic number is within a couple of months.  

I have had pre approval offers from Citi, Chase and American Express.  I'm not sure what I can really get or what I really want for that matter.  I want to start doing some traveling this year with my family but not sure if a miles card is the way to go.  We do eat out quite a bit and spend a big chunk on groceries.  I try to put as much spending as possible on my Quicksilver to get the cashback but I know there's better options.  I also should probably do a balance transfer because my Platinum has like $1100 on it at 22%.  I plan to wipe that out within the next couple months but still.  I know I should probably transfer it.  Just having a hard time figuring out what card would be a good fit.  

What would you add?

Personally I'd used the Quicksilver as my go to card, because of its versatility.

To my mind, none of the other 3 issuers have as good a cashback card as Quicksilver.

If you want a card that's good for cash back and nothing else, Citi has one (the DC), Amex has several (BCE & BCP), & Chase has a bunch (AARP, Amazon Prime, Freedom, & Freedom Unlimited).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been eyeing the BCE and BCP for a while, so I'm happy to offer up some pre-crunched numbers for you.  The breakpoint in annual grocery spend is approximately $3167.  Less than that, you do better with the BCE, more, the BCP.  That works out to about $263.90 per month

Cheers!

(Edit - math correction to account for rounding issues)

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.