Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canceling Amex Hilton Aspire

tag
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

Canceling Amex Hilton Aspire

Will Amex frown upon me canceling my Aspire card before the annual fee post?  CSR from Amex said if I cancel after the fee post I will have to pay it.  I'll be refunded the amount after I cancel it. 

Business Cards
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Canceling Amex Hilton Aspire

@Gmoney144 wrote:

Will Amex frown upon me canceling my Aspire card before the annual fee post?  CSR from Amex said if I cancel after the fee post I will have to pay it.  I'll be refunded the amount after I cancel it. 

Can you PC to a product that does not have AF ?

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's generally seen as bad karma to change out before the fee posts. Let it post, then PC/cancel and they will refund it. 

Message 3 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I'd wait for the AF to post and then (if you plan to occasionally stay there in the future) PC to the no-AF Hilton.

Hilton points can expire without activity. I lost a few thousand points earlier this year.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 22
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Amex definitely frowns upon closing or downgrading a card prior to a year.  The agreement you consented to also states that you understand that they may recoup any Welcome Offers given on the card if you close or downgrade it prior to a year.  Even after a year, it may impact your eligibility to receive future Welcome Offers on other cards.   Once the AF posts (usually on the date that the statement is generated), you have 30 days to contact them to close it or downgrade it, provided they don't give you a juicy enough retention offer to keep it.

Message 5 of 22
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Amex definitely frowns upon closing or downgrading a card prior to a year.  The agreement you consented to also states that you understand that they may recoup any Welcome Offers given on the card if you close or downgrade it prior to a year.  Even after a year, it may impact your eligibility to receive future Welcome Offers on other cards.   Once the AF posts (usually on the date that the statement is generated), you have 30 days to contact them to close it or downgrade it, provided they don't give you a juicy enough retention offer to keep it.

Do I have to lay the annual fee before I downgrade ?

Business Cards
Message 6 of 22
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote: Even after a year, it may impact your eligibility to receive future Welcome Offers on other cards.   Once the AF posts (usually on the date that the statement is generated), you have 30 days to contact them to close it or downgrade it, provided they don't give you a juicy enough retention offer to keep it.

Now, I am anxious. I just closed my Hilton Surpass after asking for opinions here. Opened September 2019. Paid AF in my last statement (early November). Is this still considered frown-able?

Message 7 of 22
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote: Even after a year, it may impact your eligibility to receive future Welcome Offers on other cards.   Once the AF posts (usually on the date that the statement is generated), you have 30 days to contact them to close it or downgrade it, provided they don't give you a juicy enough retention offer to keep it.

Now, I am anxious. I just closed my Hilton Surpass after asking for opinions here. Opened September 2019. Paid AF in my last statement (early November). Is this still considered frown-able?

It probably doesn't help, but Amex takes the overall relationship into account in determining SUB eligibility. How much a person is spending across all Amex cards seems to be a big factor. Keeping your other cards open and paying their AFs may help.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 8 of 22
notmyrealname23
Established Contributor

@Gmoney144 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No, you'll get it taken off the statement, but be aware you'll never get the SUB for the no-AF card once you get it on a downgrade, and if AMEX thinks you're a churner because you ditch their cards after the first year, you'll get the pop up saying "no SUB for you" the next time you apply for one.

If you don't really care if you get future AMEX SUBs, then churn and burn is fine, just realize this is a potential outcome.

AMEX cards are not ideally situated for churn/burn games. It's a long term relationship (and you CAN play upgrade/downgrade games with them, which is why the no-AF card and keeping it alive with some spend might be an option).

First Tech FCU Choice Rewards World MC 35k | AMEX Hilton Aspire 17.5k | Chase Southwest Priority Visa 15.5k | AMEX Marriott Bonvoy Brilliant 15k | Bilt Rewards MC 14k | Capital One Venture X 13k | Fidelity VISA Signature 11.5k | Citi AA Platinum Select 11.9k | Charles Schwab AMEX Platinum NPSL | Amex Platinum (I know) NPSL | Amex Gold NPSL | Citi Premier 8.9k | Chase Fredom Unlimited 9k | SoFi MC World Elite 8k | Capital One SavorOne 7.5k | PayPal Synchrony MC 6.4k | Citi Custom Cash 6.9k | DiscoverIt Cashback 5k | Amazon/Synchrony 5k | Hotels.com 5k | AMEX Delta Gold 3k | Apple Card 3k | Target 800 | Ch 13 filed 12/13 discharged as paid 1/19
Message 9 of 22
Gmoney144
Regular Contributor

@notmyrealname23 wrote:

@Gmoney144 wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

No, you'll get it taken off the statement, but be aware you'll never get the SUB for the no-AF card once you get it on a downgrade, and if AMEX thinks you're a churner because you ditch their cards after the first year, you'll get the pop up saying "no SUB for you" the next time you apply for one.

If you don't really care if you get future AMEX SUBs, then churn and burn is fine, just realize this is a potential outcome.

AMEX cards are not ideally situated for churn/burn games. It's a long term relationship (and you CAN play upgrade/downgrade games with them, which is why the no-AF card and keeping it alive with some spend might be an option).

My anniversary date was Nov 4th of this year. First year was waived.  Didn't reach the promo offer but I'll downgrade to the no-annual fee Hilton card. Just a matter of when

Business Cards
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.