Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap One QS

tag
Etherial73
New Contributor

Cap One QS

Hi All,

I have a Cap One QS that started life a year ago as a Platinum, but was Pc'ed to the QS (NOT the QS1). Started with $500 limit, still at $500 limit. I am in the rebuilding phase, and scores are steadily climbing after a Ch 7 discharge March 26, 2018. Perfect payment history since then. I use the available credit and always pay in full, sometimes 2 times per billing cycle. Whenever I ask for a credit limit increase I get the "Recent use of this accounts existing credit line has been too high" message.

I understand the card is probably bucketed, but what is the point of having and using a credit limit, and always paying off in full, if they are going to use that as a reason to deny you a higher limit? It seems the perfect payment history as well as making use of the current credit limit would justify the need for a higher spend limit. Especially for such a low limit card. Am I off base with my line of thinking?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap One QS

Welcome!

I would suggest keeping the balance below $150 at all times.

In lieu of asking for CLI's on that card, check for pre-approvals on a new card from Cap1.  They will  auto-step your current card to $1000 over your next 12 months and then it is "capped."  It appears as though a second card, approved with a better original profile, has better chances for growth.

Good luck!

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also started with the platnum 500 sl. I upgraded it to the quick silver after my steps program got it to 750. Now 1 1/2 later it's at 2250. It goes up but every 6months they will let you have an increase depending on your credit standing. I had a ch7 discharged nov 2016. It's going to be there awhile but cap one will treat you right if you do your part. I have heard even though bucketed it'll get to 8250 i have also read here with some with a tad bit more. I used it quite heavily i just made sure it was 30% or less for the UTI. Give it time i've been quite lucky but im not the only one. I understand the whole waiting game but unfornuitly for us with bk on are reports it takes a bit longer to prove credit worthyness. Good luck to you!

Message 3 of 8
Fated4Credit
Regular Contributor

I just got an increase on my pc'ed QS (started @ 200 secured in April 2017) I requested a CLI & was approved for 150 a few days ago. After I got through with credit steps. I used it heavily, paying 5x the amount multiple times a month for 3 months before I got an auto increase of 1000 in 10/18, bringing total limit to 1651.
Discover: $15,900
Cap One QS: $4811
CFU: $8,000
PPMC: $12,000
US Bank Cash+: $13,000
Penfed Powercash Rewards: $7,500
AAOA: 3.5 yrs
Experian (Fico 8) 756
Transunion (Fico 8) 757
Equifax (Fico 8) 764
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my Platinum for 4 months before I PC'd to QS. SL was $3,000. Right after I PC'd I ask for a CLI and was denied. Reason was not enough use of credit limit. I completed my steps last month and I'm supposed to get a $500 bump in the next few days. Since I got the Amex Gold I really don't use the QS much. I don't see getting many CLI's after this month.

Message 5 of 8
gorgon
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I had my Platinum for 4 months before I PC'd to QS. SL was $3,000. Right after I PC'd I ask for a CLI and was denied. Reason was not enough use of credit limit. I completed my steps last month and I'm supposed to get a $500 bump in the next few days.

Same boat, but I did get a $300 CLI before Credit Steps. I'm curious as well as to whether the '$3500 after Credit Steps' cards will ever get CL increases. 

Message 6 of 8
TheConstant
Regular Contributor

I went from $300 Plat to $4800 QS:

I have had two QS, first one was a PC from Plat 5 years ago. It started with a very low credit score (no BK, but one collection and one charge off). Here's how I did it:

Keep util below 50% per month and pay in full ONCE PER MONTH 1 week before your payment due date.

They will auto CLI you 6 months in, DO NOT request for CLI.

3 months after auto CLI, use their online "chat now" to ask the customer rep if they had any offers to upgrade your card to a higher limit or to a World MasterCard.

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT pay that card twice a month. CapOne for sure is not fond of it

Goal Score:800

[ AmEx Blue Cash Preferred - $34500 ]
[ Chase Sapphire Reserve - $22400 ]
[ BofA Unlimited Cash Rewards - $31000 ]
[ BofA Cash Rewards - $18000 ]
[ Citi AAdvantage Platinum - $15000 ]
[ Chase Freedom Flex - $12000 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7800 ]
[ Cap. One QS - $7000 ]
[ AmEx EveryDay Preferred - $5000 ]
[ Discover IT - $4500 ]
Message 7 of 8
gorgon
Established Contributor

@TheConstant wrote:

DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT pay that card twice a month. CapOne for sure is not fond of it

Where did you hear that? I have seen several posts on here where people have said it's fine to pay multiple times a month.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.