Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Card Upgrade Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Card Upgrade Question

I spoke with Cap1 today via phone and they let me know that I was eligible to upgrade my Mastercard Platinum to a Quicksilver (no AF). Same card number, no CLI, etc. Just a "card swap" according to them. Kind of odd as I have only had the MC platinum for 4 statements, but I have heard similar stories. 

Anyways, can anyone confirm if Cap1 card upgrade require a hard pull? I asked multiple times and was assured that there was no hard pull and all that will change on my credit report is the name of the card. I am probably being paranoid, but just wanting to make sure that this will not change anything on my report or score. 

My score has been on the upswing and should continue to in April. In the garden until May when I think I will be eligible for some other cards (already getting Discover pre approval letters) and just want to be sure this is not going to count against me when applying for new cards in the near future. Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Jimp2323
Regular Contributor

Re: Cap1 Card Upgrade Question

No HP

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, apologies for the rambling post. I had no intention of upgrading today, simply called with a payment question and they offered this. Sounded like I had nothing to lose, once I hung up I got nervous it would look like I opened a new card or something on upcoming apps. 

Message 3 of 12
UncleB
Credit Mentor

You're fine... there's no HP with a Capital One PC; actually, nothing on the credit report changes at all.

Give 'em a call back and tell them you want the Quicksilver and start earning some cash back!  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep no hp. I upgraded platinum to qs about 8 months ago and just got approved for venture with a 10k limit. I plan to combine venture into qs in 1 year before af hits and combine limits.
Message 5 of 12
A1Credit
Established Contributor

I did not receive a HP when I pc'd my Platinum to QS.  The quicker you do it, the quicker you start earning cash back.

***Gardening 3/29/2018 until 9/25/2018***

FICO 8 Scores: EQ~692 l TU~657 l EX~669
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was surprised how much easy it was to convert my cap1 qs vs to the newish savor card. It will be used when traveling abroad for no ftf and the instant 3pct cash back for dining only, or a bt. Any who within 12hrs I was already able to earn 3pct and new card came in 4 days!

I did also have luck combining for a friend her venture one and quicksilver, then instantly upgrading to savor. Of course hers is a odd looking world Mastercard not world elite. Weird....
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

I spoke with Cap1 today via phone and they let me know that I was eligible to upgrade my Mastercard Platinum to a Quicksilver (no AF). Same card number, no CLI, etc. Just a "card swap" according to them. Kind of odd as I have only had the MC platinum for 4 statements, but I have heard similar stories. 

Anyways, can anyone confirm if Cap1 card upgrade require a hard pull? I asked multiple times and was assured that there was no hard pull and all that will change on my credit report is the name of the card. I am probably being paranoid, but just wanting to make sure that this will not change anything on my report or score. 

My score has been on the upswing and should continue to in April. In the garden until May when I think I will be eligible for some other cards (already getting Discover pre approval letters) and just want to be sure this is not going to count against me when applying for new cards in the near future. Thanks in advance! 

I went through the exact same procedure last year with a Platinum (unsecured) MC, though I did it through their online upgrade-check page rather than over the phone. I had gotten that Platinum in February, and after reading about the Cap 1 upgrade site I decided to check it in June and discovered that I was eligible for an upgrade. It was pretty much as easy as accepting the upgrade; I didn't even have to stop using my Platinum while I was waiting for the new QS to arrive in the mail, and it didn't affect my scores or reports.

Message 8 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Definitely no HP and I think it opens you up a bit to better CLI. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for the information. Upgraded to the QS. Glad to start earning some cash back.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.