Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 PIF - Charged Interest?

tag
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

Cap1 PIF - Charged Interest?

Hi everyone...maybe I am missing something.

I just paid my Cap1 QS IN FULL on the due date (8/8) and the statement usually cuts tomorrow. I even used my rewards to pay onto the balance, after the payment was applied, I actually had a small credit balance. When I checked the app today, my available credit was only $39  and my balance was $98......Why would I be charged interest today? More importantly, why is my available credit only $39 on a 7750 line that was paid in full. 

012019 Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Current Fico9/Fico8/Mortgage Score:
MyGoal Fico8/Mortgage Score:
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

Re: Cap1 PIF - Charged Interest?

😳 Call them up, hopefully you can get your CL back!

Message 2 of 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

I once accidentally made two on-time PIF payments to Cap1. I requested a balance refund and they ended up charging me interest.

When I complained I did get a credit reversing the interest and my grace period reinstated, but what should have taken one call ultimately took three.

Hard to know if it's incorrect interest, a temporary glitch, or AA without calling...and even then, you might get a useless rep.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

SMH...I will call them tomorrow am. It's one of my older cards. I paid them first thinking "Cap1 won't close me after I PIF".  Seems like the computer wouldn't allow interest charged to a credit balance...

Message 4 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

It sounds to me that

1. you were carrying a balance on this card so the interest is likely trailing interest because you currently don't have a grace period. 

2. You made an extremely large payment that is outside of your normal payment history. It is not uncommon for lenders to put a hold on the credit line after large "unusual" payments. It should clear itself up in time 

Message 5 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@dragontears You suggest waiting to call them? 

Message 6 of 11
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@newmomnewme wrote:

@dragontears You suggest waiting to call them? 

Really up to you. I hate talking on the phone so only call lenders if I absolutely have to lol. 

If you do call you might get them to refund the trailing interest (play dumb and ask nicely about why you are getting charged interest). 

Message 7 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@dragontears Waiting to speak with Rep #3 now....Rep #1 said that my payment was received but hadn't cleared my bank yet. Rep #2 said it would take a week to clear and that my CL remains in tact then transferred me to Rep #3 to request to have the interest charges waived. Never made it to Rep #3.....Rep #2 called while so was on hold and was told interest couldn't be waived as it was accruing in the account while I made the payment in full.

At the end of all of this at least I didn't lose the CL and the balance will report almost at zero. I will pay the interest today so I don't forget. 

Message 8 of 11
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Trailing interest is the usual culprit in a case like this, but $98 is a heck of a lot of interest. How big was your payment?

Message 9 of 11
newmomnewme
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio $7700 and I was carrying a high balance for about a year.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.