Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Platinum auto-PC to QS1?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 Platinum auto-PC to QS1?

My husband has a Capital One Platinum card that he doesn’t use, at least I thought he did, but when the replacement card arrived it was a QuickSilver One. I’m not upset about it, it’s halfway to a QuickSilver which would be preferable. I’m just confused because we haven’t touched the card in years and I don’t remember it being PCed. Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Another confusing thing, he’s got over $85 in rewards dollars sitting on his account. How did that happen when we haven’t used the card in years? Very confused.
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Cap1 Platinum auto-PC to QS1?

As I understand it from reading related threads, you can upgrade from platinum to QS but not from QS1 to QS, therefore the new QS1 might be a dead end instead of "halfway there", not to mention QS1 has an annual fee. I would call right now and tell them you never authorized the PC and see if you can PC it directly to QS instead. As for the mysterious rewards, do you see any new tools in the garage?
Message 2 of 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

If the card is more than a few years old, it's possible it was a rewards card before they had "Quicksilver". 

There are reports around here of a few people who had non-Quicksilver cards that were later auto-"upgraded" to Quicksilver, and a few who never got upgraded at all (i.e. they have cards that still only say 'Platinum' but they get rewards).

Also, I had an old HSBC 'Platinum' that earned 2% rewards that was auto-PC'ed to a Quicksilver One (and the rewards rate was adjusted to 1.5%).  It did take a while (years) for me to get an upgrade offer to a plain no-AF 'Quicksilver', but eventually I did

The thing about the QS1 is the annual fee; it's annoying to have an AF on a 1.5% card when there are no-AF 2% cards all around.  Before my upgrade to the no-AF Quicksilver was available, I was able to call in and they would usually waive at least half of the fee, which made it a bit more tolerable.  Pro-tip - they can only waive an AF after it's posted to the account.

Edit:  minor typo

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of great info, thanks!
Message 4 of 5
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
As I understand it from reading related threads, you can upgrade from platinum to QS but not from QS1 to QS, therefore the new QS1 might be a dead end instead of "halfway there", not to mention QS1 has an annual fee. I would call right now and tell them you never authorized the PC and see if you can PC it directly to QS instead. As for the mysterious rewards, do you see any new tools in the garage?

QuicksilverOnes can be upgraded to Quicksilvers, but the offers are less frequent than they'd be on no-fee cards.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.