Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cap1 Product Change Question...

tag
Petit3tee
Contributor

Cap1 Product Change Question...

So I've just upgraged my Cap1 Platinum to QS1 today after having the card since 2011. I've also requested CLI but they did not respond right away (current is $850, last CLI was 4 years ago). My question is how many times you can do PC with cap1? Let say from QS1, can you do another pc down the road to QS or something else?

My goal is to only have 2 account (venture1 & savor or venture) with them. I already have the Venture1 (also a pc from platinum) and either a Venture or the Savor without closing neither of the current accounts and reapplying, they're my oldest. Thank you all! 

Current status: Gardening as of 5/2019 Projected: TBD

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Re: Cap1 Product Change Question...

I believe they allow multiple product changes as long as the card is eligible, but if that original Platinum card was bucketed, so will your PC’d cards. What kind of limit does the other Capital One card have? You might want to close one of them (if bucketed) and open a new card. You have a better chance of getting a higher CL. Otherwise, growth will be stagnant at best.  

Message 2 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

You are not limited on PCs as long as they qualify.

I went from QS MC to Venture WMC to Savor WEMC.

Why VentureOne over QuickSilver?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 3 of 13
Petit3tee
Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:

I believe they allow multiple product changes as long as the card is eligible, but if that original Platinum card was bucketed, so will your PC’d cards. What kind of limit does the other Capital One card have? You might want to close one of them (if bucketed) and open a new card. You have a better chance of getting a higher CL. Otherwise, growth will be stagnant at best.  

Does bucketed mean keeping the card open without actively using it? Sorry, I don't really know... The only thing concern me is that it's the oldest card. If I close it, it'll definitely hurt my AAoA. Or maybe I better of leaving it in the sock drawer and aim for a different card? My first cap1 is stuck with $850 CL and the second oldest is venture1 with $4800 CL. Goal is wither QS or Savor, possible to pc the second one and let alone the first one?

Message 4 of 13
Petit3tee
Contributor

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Venture1 was the only upgrade option given at the moment. If you're saying it's unlimited then I can go from venture1 to venture then? 

Message 5 of 13
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@Petit3tee wrote:

@Shooting-For-800 wrote:

Venture1 was the only upgrade option given at the moment. If you're saying it's unlimited then I can go from venture1 to venture then? 

Every six months if you qualify.  If you do not see the option you want, call them.

QuickSilver is better than VentureOne unless one uses hotel.com a lot.

GL!

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 6 of 13
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Bucketed essentially means that it won’t grow. It was a starter card offered to you when you had little to no credit, but it’s not designed to grow much beyond whatever growth they’ve designated for that particular account. So even if you PC that card, it will be incredibly difficult to get that CL higher because it’s still the same account. What is the age difference between your oldest card and second oldest card? For scoring purposes, your card will continue to contribute to your account age up to 10 years from when you close it. So it will only matter much farther down the future. By then, you’ll hopefully have a nice, thick file and it won’t affect you that much.

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, that is one bucketed card considering the great cards you have now. I honestly would have left it a Platinum card so you didn’t have the AF. Honestly, the only reason to keep your account open is the history. If you want a Savor or Venture, you will have to cold app. You now have the mark of the QS1. It will never leave you. Smiley Wink

If you have the Gold card, I honestly don’t see a huge benefit to the Savor Card. Cap has slowly been making the Venture a better card with transfers and Hotels.com for those who don’t need status. So I would aim for that.
Message 8 of 13
Petit3tee
Contributor

@KLEXH25 wrote:
Bucketed essentially means that it won’t grow. It was a starter card offered to you when you had little to no credit, but it’s not designed to grow much beyond whatever growth they’ve designated for that particular account. So even if you PC that card, it will be incredibly difficult to get that CL higher because it’s still the same account. What is the age difference between your oldest card and second oldest card? For scoring purposes, your card will continue to contribute to your account age up to 10 years from when you close it. So it will only matter much farther down the future. By then, you’ll hopefully have a nice, thick file and it won’t affect you that much.

I just took a good look at my report and I was all wrong! 

- Venture1 (CL $4800) opened Dec. 5, 2011 <------ this is actually my oldest account! 

- QC1 (CL $850) opened Dec. 20, 2011 <------ this is the second oldest. Is it safe to close without hurting my score aging? 

Message 9 of 13
Petit3tee
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wow, that is one bucketed card considering the great cards you have now. I honestly would have left it a Platinum card so you didn’t have the AF. Honestly, the only reason to keep your account open is the history. If you want a Savor or Venture, you will have to cold app. You now have the mark of the QS1. It will never leave you. Smiley Wink

If you have the Gold card, I honestly don’t see a huge benefit to the Savor Card. Cap has slowly been making the Venture a better card with transfers and Hotels.com for those who don’t need status. So I would aim for that.

I kept on hearing the platinum doesn't have AF but my platinum did come with $29 AF. Now that it's QS1, AF is still $29 which is better than platinum that doesn't give me anything back... But I might just close it, I've just found out it's actually my SECOND oldest, not the oldest. And yes, I'm eyeing on the venture because of that transfers, hotels.com and the global entry. Will likely take a shot if safe to do so Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.