Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CapOne Fraud

tag
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

CapOne Fraud

This is hardly my first fraud claim and it won't be the last, but someone got my CapOne numbers and charged ~$5k in  the space of 60 minutes today. I've filed claims with Wells Fargo and Discover in the past which went very smoothly. Anyone have experience with CapOne? I'm assuming that it will be the same easy resolution.

I filled out the online report, they're sending me a new card, and I called in to see if there was anything else they needed (there wasn't). Just need to wait for the  investigation to complete.

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CapOne Fraud

Capital One has always been really easy to deal with for disputes in my experience and mine weren't even fraud disputes so I'm sure it will be fine. 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think is relevant. Years ago I remember (possibly incorrectly) that disputes were always to be sent by mail to preserve legal rights. Is that still (or was it ever) the case?

Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't mean to hijack this thread but I think is relevant. Years ago I remember (possibly incorrectly) that disputes were always to be sent by mail to preserve legal rights. Is that still (or was it ever) the case?

You are thinking of disputes with CRAs

There is nothing you can send for fraud investigation, it's all done on their end, if there is even an investigation 

They dont even bother with smaller amounts unless they detect a particular pattern either with type of fraud or consumers who happen to have frequent incidents (or rather large sums involved in   "fraud"). 

Message 4 of 5
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You are thinking of disputes with CRAs

There is nothing you can send for fraud investigation, it's all done on their end, if there is even an investigation 

They dont even bother with smaller amounts unless they detect a particular pattern either with type of fraud or consumers who happen to have frequent incidents (or rather large sums involved in   "fraud"). 

It still is the case if you are "dissatisfied with your credit card purchase"   For example from my current statement:

Your Rights If You Are Dissatisfied With Your Credit Card Purchases: If you are
dissatisfied with the goods or services that you have purchased with your credit card,
and you have tried in good faith to correct the problem with the merchant, you may have
the right not to pay the remaining amount due on the purchase. To use this right all of
the following must be true:
1) The purchase must have been made in your home state or within 100 miles of your
current mailing address, and the purchase price must have been more than $50.
(Note: Neither of these are necessary if your purchase was based on an advertisement
we mailed to you, or if we own the company that sold you the goods or services.)
2) You must have used your credit card for the purchase. Purchases made with cash
advances from an ATM or with a check that accesses your credit card account do not
qualify.
3) You must not yet have fully paid for the purchase.
If all of the criteria above are met and you are still dissatisfied with the purchase, contact
us in writing at ...

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.