cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One “Bucket”

tag
FireDawg74

Capital One “Bucket”

I started with a Cap1 unsecured Platinum about 5 years ago. I then got a Quicksilver 1 about two years ago. I combined the Platinum into the Quicksilver 1 and about a month later after doing so, was allowed to PC to a Quicksilver with no annual fee. 

Since then, I have been denied numerous times for a CLI. I believe I was “bucketed” by CapOne due to starting out with a rebuilder card. I was stuck at a $3500 SL.

Fast forward to yesterday and I tried the pre-approval and was pre-approved for the Venture. I applied and was approved for a 15K SL.

I believe based on what I have read, that by being approved for the Venture card, I have a fresh start with CapOne and am no longer in the “rebuilder bucket.” Is this safe to assume?

Another question I have, if I was to combine the Quicksilver Card into the Venture six months down the road, would this cause me to be “bucketed” back to a “lower tier” in the eyes of CapOne and effect future CLI’s? I don’t want to combine the Quicksilver card into the Venture if it will cause problems with CLI’s down the road. I do not want to be “re-bucketed.”

Thanks!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One “Bucket”

My best guess is that the Quicksilver is in the starter/rebuilder bucket and that the Venture isn't. If you were to combine the QS into the Venture, you should still be in the good bucket. Doing it the other way might put the card back into the builder bucket. Then again, you could decide that a limit of 18.5K is plenty and not care.

Message 2 of 11
imaximous
Valued Contributor

This is pretty much how I've felt with my 2 cards. One was stuck at over 24% APR and $8.5K CL. It began as a no frills Platinum card with a $500 SL in 2011. Got a few CLIs and converted a couple of times. It was finally PC'ed to Savor. My last 2 CLI requests were denied as well as an APR reduction this year.
I also got a Venture a year ago with a $30K SL. I used it primarily and got a CLI to $33K before I also PC'ed it to Savor to avoid the annual fee. The APR is 14.xx%

I debated in which direction to combine them because I really wanted to keep the longer history of the first card (2011 vs 2017). But the 2011 was a plain MC with a much higher APR, lower CL, and every time I asked for anything, it was denied.
So I closed that one and added the CL to the 2017 card. Now I have a $41K Savor with little or no use for.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireDawg74I believe based on what I have read, that by being approved for the Venture card, I have a fresh start with CapOne and am no longer in the “rebuilder bucket.” Is this safe to assume?

It depends on what you mean by this.  Each one of your Cap One accounts is viewed independently of the other.  Your $3500 account will forever be viewed as a 'starter' account because those are the terms under which it was opened.  Your new Venture account clearly was started on far better terms, as evidenced by the $15k SL.  This means that this account won't ever been seen as a starter account.  You definitely have one of each going on right now.  As for combining one to another, I'm not versed enough to speak on that topic.

Message 4 of 11
FireDawg74

Thank you for all of the responses. I contacted Capital One and spoke to a rep about this. He was clueless on what I was asking. He kept telling me about the procedure and stipulations about combining the cards. He also kept stating that all cards they offer have the same terms and conditions, blah, blah, blah. It would be interesting to know how this all works in the eyes of CapOne...

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireDawg74wrote:

I started with a Cap1 unsecured Platinum about 5 years ago. I then got a Quicksilver 1 about two years ago. I combined the Platinum into the Quicksilver 1 and about a month later after doing so, was allowed to PC to a Quicksilver with no annual fee. 

Since then, I have been denied numerous times for a CLI. I believe I was “bucketed” by CapOne due to starting out with a rebuilder card. I was stuck at a $3500 SL.

Fast forward to yesterday and I tried the pre-approval and was pre-approved for the Venture. I applied and was approved for a 15K SL.

I believe based on what I have read, that by being approved for the Venture card, I have a fresh start with CapOne and am no longer in the “rebuilder bucket.” Is this safe to assume?

Another question I have, if I was to combine the Quicksilver Card into the Venture six months down the road, would this cause me to be “bucketed” back to a “lower tier” in the eyes of CapOne and effect future CLI’s? I don’t want to combine the Quicksilver card into the Venture if it will cause problems with CLI’s down the road. I do not want to be “re-bucketed.”

Thanks!

Very interesting. This actually explains a lot.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:

@FireDawg74I believe based on what I have read, that by being approved for the Venture card, I have a fresh start with CapOne and am no longer in the “rebuilder bucket.” Is this safe to assume?

It depends on what you mean by this.  Each one of your Cap One accounts is viewed independently of the other.  Your $3500 account will forever be viewed as a 'starter' account because those are the terms under which it was opened.  Your new Venture account clearly was started on far better terms, as evidenced by the $15k SL.  This means that this account won't ever been seen as a starter account.  You definitely have one of each going on right now.  As for combining one to another, I'm not versed enough to speak on that topic.

Seems like that's what's going on with my two QS cards. The older one, which I opened as a Platinum MC a year ago and PC'ed to QS in June, has the "Platinum" name under the MC logo on the back of the card, and so far has only received the $500 auto-CLI from the original $3000 SL, so it's at $3500 and I suppose - though I'm going to give it another shot once the new statement cuts - that this is pretty much where it's going to stay as long as I have it. My new QS Visa Signature, by comparison, has a SL of $10000, so I should think it's in the same category as the OP's Venture.  As I've mentioned on several occasions, I'm seriously thinking of combining the older QS MC into the new QS Visa once the latter ages to 6 months (so probably early July). I also have a Platinum Secured MC that I don't have any use for anymore and which I'm going to pay off and close out for the deposit refund later this month.

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FireDawg74Thank you for all of the responses. I contacted Capital One and spoke to a rep about this. He was clueless on what I was asking. He kept telling me about the procedure and stipulations about combining the cards. He also kept stating that all cards they offer have the same terms and conditions, blah, blah, blah. It would be interesting to know how this all works in the eyes of CapOne...

To be expected.  Your average forum member here that researches a specific topic (such as CO starter accounts not growing) for all of an hour is going to be armed with more knowledge than your average CSR.  I'm amazed how often I know considerably more than the person on the other end of the phone that I'm dealing with and it's all from simply reading regularly on this forum. 

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in the same bucket, but have found lately that Cap1 is becoming a bit more generous.

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AnonymousI was in the same bucket, but have found lately that Cap1 is becoming a bit more generous.

Can you provide any data points on that?  What CO card did you get and what was your score upon approval and the SL of the account?  Over what period of time has your limit grown and to what amount?  What is your score now?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.