Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CC Stupid

tag
DantGwyrdd
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One CC Stupid

I'm confused a little bit here--it seems from the original post that the reduction to 18.9 (4 points) would've been permanent, if this is the case, why not take it? Especially since Cap One is not known for APR reductions and this seems like a pretty nice one to start with since I doubt a bank would just cut your APR in half in one fell swoop (when it's that large to start with).

The problem with these things (CLIs, APR reductions) especially with Capital One is that you have to ask for them as they won't just out and give them a lot of the time so, like you've mentioned yourself, you've (unfortunatelly) missed a lot of the opportunities. But hey, it's never late to start and definitely contact the EO office with this and stress the lenght of the banking relationship and see what it gets you, nothing to lose really. Best of luck!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Take the 7.9 offer from your Cu And sock drawer these cards. Even if you app for another CO product there is no way the APR would be 7.9.
Message 12 of 14
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I need your wisdom. I've had my capital one platinum for 21 years $7000 cl with 22.9 apr. Yes I can hear the gasps. Last month I pc'd to QS. I chatted online with gary for a lower apr but of course he was worthless. He offered me 16.9 for 3 months and then 18.9 after that. I think he insulted me?  I see you talk about backdoor phone number for help. Does it work? Can someone put it up for me? Anyway I would like to get at least 12 apr after all these years. I've really worked hard for the last few years to get my fico score up to 775. I would like to add that they have never offered me any kind of lower apr.  Maybe not possible. I have three cap one cards, all 22.9 apr,  with a total cl of 16,000 and a balance of 1200.00. I really would like to tell them to stick it and cancel all cards and take my credit union offer of 7000 cl with 7.9 apr. I have a discover card with 10,000 cl. Sorry to be so long : ) Advice? And remember the post title LOL

Take the offer. Enjoy the reduction to 18.9% and just consider it another step on your pathway to trying to improve the APR.

Go to the Capital One Prequalification and see what they offer you there. The APR may be improved, but the disappointing part is, it would not have the same opening date. But don't close that Quicksilver.

The thing about Capital One, they are slow to lower APR, but as long as you have an open account with them, they seem very open to granting a new card with both a larger CL and improved APR. Several who have closed all their Capital One cards, when they wanted to get back in with a new card, seemed to find difficulty. Not always, but it is what leads me to advise people to keep a Capital One card open, hopefully with no AF, just in case. In my case, the Venture was only a higher CL, the APR is worse, but I got lucky 12 years ago with the 10.9 rate that it's always been at.

Now that you have it PC'd to QS, you can at least see an improvement in your rewards earning. Hopefully over time, they would continue to offer stepped improvements in the APR.

Good luck!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

All really good ideas. Thanks. I went on my account website and searched for cc prequalifications but nothing showed up. When I pc'd my card I searched for modify and it gave me a link. Yeah like I said I was frustrated but I will take the 18.9. So where do I find the prequalification and will it show what my cl and apr will be?

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.