Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One CLI questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One CLI questions

On Capital Ones credit limit increase there are questions that ask “how much do you spend each month across all credit cards” and “how much do you plan to spend on this credit card.”

It also asks what the “max” amount of credit I would want. Well, there’s no max amount lol

For the first two questions, is it better to say very high amounts or stay conservative? And what about the max amount?

I’d want to get the highest limit possible.
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One CLI questions

I'd go higher rather than lower when it comes to all 3 questions.

When it comes to total CC spend, they get to determine how much of that spend is going to them relative to everyone else.  For example, perhaps you only put $500/mo through their card, but you say you spend $5k/mo on credit cards.  This is indirectly telling them that you are giving their competition 90% of the business.  If one of the reasons as to why that may be the case is a CL-constraint, it could provide further incentive for a [greater] CLI. 

Same thing for what you plan to spend on their card.  You want this number to be very significant portion of your current limit and still a significant portion of your proposed limit.  If you're spending $500/mo with them currently on a $1500 limit, I'd move my proposed spend to something like $1500/mo, especially if my overall spend is stated to be (say) several times that. 

As for the limit you're requesting, I'd just keep it reasonable.  I'm not sure what your current limit is, but from a relative standpoint asking for more than 2X your limit is usually a lot, where I'd say a 3X CLI proposal would probably be the greatest I'd be willing to stretch... again, dollars need to be considered though.  If your current limit is $1k, asking for $3k isn't as crazy as asking for $30k on a current $10k limit.

Message 2 of 29
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'm convinced that none of the questions actually matter. But because you have to play the game, I second BBS's advice to go higher rather than lower.

Last summer, I requested a 3.1k CLI. Capital One offered 3k, which I accepted in full. That didn't surprise me because 3k seems to be Capital One's highest routine increase. Last month, I requested a CLI of 2.5k. Capital One offered 3k. I accepted the 2.5k CLI that I had asked for.

Bottom line… ask for what you want. 3k seems to be their highest routine increase. But we've seen very occasional 5-digit CLIs drop out of the sky.

Accept a counteroffer unless you deem it to be too low. A CLI would make you ineligible for another one for six months. But rejecting a CLI offer will keep you eligible, and you can ask again as soon as you'd like.

For the spending amounts, go high without being unreasonable.

Message 3 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with HO that the numbers entered in probably don't matter all too much in the grand scheme of things.  Your overall profile is going to account for 90% of their decision, so perhaps the numbers you punch in help out that final 10%. 

HO, is that $3k routine increase really a thing?  Perhaps I bypassed that based on initiating a manual review a couple of years ago.  I had a $3000 SL on a Platinum card and did a PC to a Quicksilver not long after.  At that time I received two CLIs, both for $500 bringing the CL to $4000.  I sat at that CL for a while and couldn't get their online or phone system to work for a CLI request, so I phoned in a manual review.  I told the EO that I wanted $10k and I was approved for that amount, so a $6k CLI.  I'm guessing it's because I went the MR route that I was able to get a decent increase?

Message 4 of 29
RickNATL
Established Contributor

I am curious as well...did you move forward and if so, any updates to the results or DPs?

Message 5 of 29
marmaladepie
Regular Contributor

4 months ago I requested 5k increase and it went into review. A few days later I noticed they gave me an increase of +10k. I was honest about the spend, putting about 10k/month on different cards and wanted to potentially move over to cap1.
I think also, in the 4-5 mo leading up to the increase I was already putting in ~6k month on the card.
Message 6 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My account is too new to qualify for CLIs, but next month will be the 3 month mark and I’ll update!
Message 7 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good advice here - I may have formatted my last couple CLI's wrong as I got turned down flat both times, so I'm going to try it this way next time, which should actually be later this week since I expect my March statement to cut in the next couple of days and made a big payment just the other day. My chief quandary is to figure out how much I can reasonably ask for; I originally started with $10K on my Quicksilver Visa and combined my old (PC'ed) Quicksilver MC into it back last June, about 8 months ago now, for a current total of $16K. I recently got a raise which may help, but I also seem to remember $20K is about as high as Capital One will go before they start asking you for proof of income.

Message 8 of 29
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I don't recall Capital One asking for proof of income much at all, and we routinely see CLs over 20k. You're in your best position if you spend a lot and pay in full.

BBS, 3k is about as high as I've rountinely seen in the Approvals forum. I've gotten five 3k CLI offers since Feb 2017; I took 2.5k on one of them. I've also gotten four 1k offers, which I accepted. And I got two $750 offers; on those, I took $700.

To get 3k offers, I spend in the 3k range per month in the three months preceding the CLI. For the lesser offers, I spent quite a bit less.

Message 9 of 29
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

How does one go about triggering a manual review? Or, will the dollar amount do that? 

My last three CLIs on my Quicksilver have been 3K each (current CLI $10,250). I've been planning on asking for a $20K+ limit when I'm eligible in April and would like to avoid only getting another $3K (if possible).

Another question: Does getting a CLI impact my ability to apply for another card? I'm planning on getting the Savor in May (for the SUB and the 4% on Dining) and don't want to shoot myself in the foot.

Note: I typically spend about $10K a month across all cards and $5K-$6K on the QS (Always PIF).  

Message 10 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.