Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Combining and CLI

tag
CivalV
Established Contributor

Capital One Combining and CLI

I am currently in the Garden. I called Capital One to ask about combining my two cards. The problem is that my $500 CL was upgraded to a QuickSilver & my 6 year old platinum of $2750 was upgraded to a QuickSilverOne. I wanted to combine the rather new QuickSilver to my older card but was told it would stay as a QuickSilverOne? Smh

I asked about a CLI. She Reviewed my accounts and said the last increase I had was a year and that I am eligible to receive another increase. Is this just read from a prompt? Or does this mean I just might get an increase if I try to request one online.

Also what is the better option in regards to combining the accounts? It would suck to lose my QuickSilver and have to stay with a QuickSilverOne. Im not sure what to do.

Note** I did ask if they could upgrade the QS1 to a QS but she said she couldnt because I just upgraded the card and would have to wait 6 mos.
4 REPLIES 4
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Combining and CLI

Yeah, when you upgrade a card, product-change offers will disappear for at least six months.

When you combine, the terms of the destination card apply, and the other card will be closed. If you want to lose the fee, you'd have to combine into the newer card. If you're interested in keeping the older card, ride it out for a while before giving up.

With Capital One, you can request CLIs anytime without resetting any clock. But you'll be ineligible if you've received a CLI on that card within the past six months. Keep in mind that if you feel that a CLI offer is insufficient, you can decline it. That allows you to request again in a few weeks (or as soon as tomorrow if you'd like) rather than waiting six months.

Also note that account combinations count as CLIs, meaning that you'd have to wait six months after the combination to request one. Before combining, ask for CLIs on your cards, and take whatever they're willing to give you.

Message 2 of 5
CivalV
Established Contributor

Learning new things everyday! Thank you so much 😊
Message 3 of 5
Cred4All
Valued Contributor

@CivalV wrote:
Learning new things everyday! Thank you so much 😊

OP I just completed a card combination today with good recommendations and information from the board here.  Mine however were both Quicksilver cards.  I agree with 

Message 4 of 5
CivalV
Established Contributor

Thank you! 6 years with Cap 1 & only two CLI. I think my patience and loyalty have shown. I’ll stick this out for a while longer until I get all of my affairs in order to snatch the Amex Everyday CC
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.