Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Card

tag
homerunstacy
Regular Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Card

I never had an automatic increase on my Cap 1 and I've had it for many years.  Same 500 CL with a rate @ 11.9%  

I think the only thing I charge on it is scorewatch =)

*Bought 1st Home on 7/11/07 thanks to myFICO Forums*

4/2013 - FICO: 685
Payment History: Great
Amt of Debt: Not Good
Length: Good
Amt of New Credit: Good

Goal for 2013: Pay down debt! Cross fingers housing market turns around so I can move further south!

Message 11 of 38
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

My Fiancee has had her card for just about 3 years now and still no increase. She still has the $300 limit, and 4.9% apr. I have had my card now for 5 months with $1000 limit and no increase either. Ive called capital one for both of our accounts and they said they only increase "certain peoples" cards during periodic reviews. What a load of junk. lol.. I wonder if we will ever get credit limit increases.
Credit conscience!
Message 12 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

they are really strange.

I had a starter 300 cl card and then one day they sent me a card with 3500 cl.

I combined them and now 8 years later I have a cash rewards card with 5400 cl

and they just went to 17.9 interest and a/f of 49.00. REALLY STRANGE!!!!!

Message 13 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I got my Capital One a few years ago, it had a $1,000 limit. Each year, I had an automatic increase of $1,000 each year until it got to $4,000.
Message 14 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

homerunstacy wrote:

I never had an automatic increase on my Cap 1 and I've had it for many years.  Same 500 CL with a rate @ 11.9%  

I think the only thing I charge on it is scorewatch =)

Some of the Cap1 cards are dead-end rebuilders (not all of their rebuilders are frozen, but some are). If it's one of those, it'll never be eligible for an increase. Sometimes, albeit rarely, they'll tell you that you've got a never-gonna-get-an-increase card. Most times, they don't say a word, or hint at your applying for a new card.

One thing that's probably important for all cards and all lenders, as we traverse the new financial landscape, is that you need to justify your need for new or additional credit. If you've got a card SD'd, or partially SD'd with only a small recurring charge that's a miniscule percent of the credit limit, you're going to have a difficult time making the case that you're going to be profitable for the lender need a credit limit increase.

Message 15 of 38
michaels88369
Frequent Contributor

I just wish they would increase our cards. We have a cc each through them and an auto loan as well. No late ever and always pay on time.
Credit conscience!
Message 16 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

i think my credit steps card will remain at 1500 forever. Been a year and a half now.
Message 17 of 38
DI
Super Contributor

@michaels88369 wrote:
I just wish they would increase our cards. We have a cc each through them and an auto loan as well. No late ever and always pay on time.

I finally stop asking for a CLI with Cap One more than a month ago.  I just focus on my other 10 cards for increases.  

Message 18 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how likely it would be for me to get a cap one card. A little bit of background information...  in the midst of the economic crisis (march 2009) cap one closed my cap one plat card due to inactivity. I had a 3000.00 limit and i never was late or had never gone near the limit I also did not owe them anything when they closed the card. When it was closed they stated that since i had not used the card and due to the horrible economy they were closing inactive cards (this was in the letter they sent me).

Well i was a bit bummed but since i didn't see myself using the card I didn't call to try and keep it open. Now I really would like to have a cap one since my husband and i are going out of the country for summer vacation and i heard cap one is the only card that doesn't charge a foreign transaction fee.

So should i just try a cold app or do you think it would be better to give them a call?

Message 19 of 38
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

I believe the credit steps program always entails two increases (for me, it was after the first 3 billing cylcles and then again after the 6th or 7th billing cycle). I'm not sure if the amounts are always $500 increases. However, the card I got from them started at $3K, and after the credit steps, it was at $4K. I haven't pursued any additional increases since then.

@Achase wrote:
well from my experience with capital one's credit steps u get 2 increases 1 every three month for $500 automatically until u reach $1500CL then its capped...smh but its useful for building credit.

Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.