Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Credit Line Increase

tag
iNathanDrake
Valued Member

Capital One Credit Line Increase

Does anyone have any luck or experience with CLI's from Capital One? I am aware of the 500 increase every 6 months but I mean.. really? That's a joke right? (rhetorical, don't answer that). My card is at 2000, I've had it nearly 3 years now.. Healthy utilization is like 200 bucks lol, what am I gonna do with 200? At that point its not even worth me giving them my business.

It goes up by 500 every 6 months. So that's 1000 a year. In 3 years by that logic I should be at 3000 (not including my initial start, which was some crap like 400 or 500). Not to mention that you have to manually do it, so if lets say you didn't know you had to manually do it (ME) you miss out on like a good year, when you go request a CLI, you still get a whopping 500..   I think that system is poorly designed and make it a less desirable card. I'm just getting into the whole credit score and cards world, only just barely a year in of knowing what I'm doing now (First couple of years were just maxed out balances like a noob lol). However, It would take my Cap 1 card another 5 1/2 years to reach my next lowest limit card (7500 on Discover IT currently). And at that point all of my other cards would be further on ahead too if only by a little. 

Is there like a good way about going for an increase with Cap 1? Or is it doomed and locked to this 500 every 6 months system? Capital One just seems like a poorly thought out slooooow waiting game. A game that doesn't seem worth playing.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Credit Line Increase

Best way I've seen around here to get a CLI out of them is to improve your profile and apply for a new card and roll the limit into the new card.  When you open a Cap1 they seem to pick a bucket for you at your current profile. Once you're in the bucket that card stays in that bucket forevers.  So, your profile moves to a new bucket but your existing card acts like a pair of lead boots.

Message 2 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

austinguy is right on the money with his reply. Heres my story

I started out with a capital one like yourself it was a platinum which i later got upgraded to quicksilver.  My initial limit was 1750 i believe. Ive had the card for about 3 years and its grown to 7.5k with various increases over the six months time periods.

A few months after my first increase on QS and reading on these boards i saw that capital one venture was giving out crazy starting limits. I applied and was instantly approved  for 15k.

Both cards grew together and i was able to get the venture to date at 20k and the QS to 7.5k

What i will probably end up doing is just combining the limits and leaving it like that. 1 Cap one card with a 27.5 limit works for me.  If it wasnt for me applying for that venture i would be stuck with that cap one card at 7.5k that i dont think is going to go up anymore.

This method may not work for you but if i were you i would just do alot of reading on these forums to see what you may want to do. If you are not in a position to apply for something right now concentrate on those discover SP increases. They literally have a mind of their own and give out CLIs at different  time intervals.

Good luck with everything.

Message 3 of 31
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

I have read several threads just like this . And what I have seen others to do in the situation is to app for a new Cap One cc ,which usually get a much bigger SL , and then combine the two cards
Message 4 of 31
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@iNathanDrake wrote:

Does anyone have any luck or experience with CLI's from Capital One? I am aware of the 500 increase every 6 months but I mean.. really? That's a joke right? (rhetorical, don't answer that). My card is at 2000, I've had it nearly 3 years now.. Healthy utilization is like 200 bucks lol, what am I gonna do with 200? At that point its not even worth me giving them my business.

It goes up by 500 every 6 months. So that's 1000 a year. In 3 years by that logic I should be at 3000 (not including my initial start, which was some crap like 400 or 500). Not to mention that you have to manually do it, so if lets say you didn't know you had to manually do it (ME) you miss out on like a good year, when you go request a CLI, you still get a whopping 500..   I think that system is poorly designed and make it a less desirable card. I'm just getting into the whole credit score and cards world, only just barely a year in of knowing what I'm doing now (First couple of years were just maxed out balances like a noob lol). However, It would take my Cap 1 card another 5 1/2 years to reach my next lowest limit card (7500 on Discover IT currently). And at that point all of my other cards would be further on ahead too if only by a little. 

Is there like a good way about going for an increase with Cap 1? Or is it doomed and locked to this 500 every 6 months system? Capital One just seems like a poorly thought out slooooow waiting game. A game that doesn't seem worth playing.

What I'm seeing is you're not using your available credit, so Capital One doesn't feel like they need to extend much more to you. Healthy utilization is 1 - 30%, not just 10%, so you could charge up to $600 without hurting your scores (if that's what your concern is). As far as Capital One goes, they won't care if you're using more than 30% of your limit, and unless you're massaging your scores for something, you shouldn't care either. 

Capital One's most reliable way of getting large CLI's is heavy usage and multiple payments every month. I took a $300 QS1 up to $6500 by doing so. 

Message 5 of 31
wilkersonk
Established Member

I went from a $2000 opening limit to $3500 after 6 months. I was actually rather surprised because I don't really ever use this card (I think my highest utilization was 40% for one month) and most of the time I had under $100 on there. Not to mention, my university turned an old bill (which I had no idea was owed) into a collection agency rendering my credit score a 50-70 point hit over the 3 bureaus before the CLI. I cannot say if there is a magical formula or not, but this was my experience.

Message 6 of 31
Creditdreamer
Established Contributor

I have been able to increase my CapOne card to 9000 in a little over a year, from $500, and my scores havent improved much since the original approval.

I got the CapOne Platinum with a $500 limit and charged a lot on it (about $2500 a month making lots of payments). After a couple weeks I asked for it to be upgraded to the CapOne Quicksilver. They said yes. I then continued to charge and charge everything I possibly could (bills etc) with many payments. I requested a CLI every two weeks and after my 4th statement I was approved for an increase to $5000. The card then got credit steps at 6 months to $5500. I then combined it with another CapOne Quicksilver where I had done a similar thing for a limit of $8000. I recently received another increase to $9000. My goal is to get over $10k which I'm going to do by combining it with another CapOne card that has 3 months on it right now. I applied for that card after I combined the other CapOne card into the first one. I haven't been successful with apping for other cards as my credit score is still being kept down by some old collections. But CapOne seems to like me for now.

Starting: EQ 498 TU 501 EX 485 (9/23/11)
As of 5/12: EQ 552 TU 591 EX 572
Credit Repair Journey Bump in the Road
As of 10/15: EQ 511 TU 588 EX 601
Discover TU Fico- 12/31/18: 694; CK EQ- 1/16/19: 634
Goal: All 3 above 700

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting. I've had a 7.5k CL on my Quicklsilver for several years. Never requested an increase. Paid the entire blance off in October and have been using the card for everything since, while paying it in full every month. I was also making multiple monthly payments. So, following your protocol. I was just turned down for a increase. They used an old credit score from last year while my current score is 50-100 points higher. Guess I'll try again in 2 months.

Message 8 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife has a Capital One Platinum that she started with in college that has 12k limit on it now.  She has never asked for a CLI so I guess they do grow on their own.  

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@austinguy907 wrote:

Best way I've seen around here to get a CLI out of them is to improve your profile and apply for a new card and roll the limit into the new card.  When you open a Cap1 they seem to pick a bucket for you at your current profile. Once you're in the bucket that card stays in that bucket forevers.  So, your profile moves to a new bucket but your existing card acts like a pair of lead boots.

It works exactly like this.  Check my sig (and the thread you'll find there) - You'll be able to grow like a boss

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.