Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Question

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Capital One Question

Has anyone had any luck recently with a CLI from Capital One? I have a Quicksilver and a Platinum, and trying to get CLI's from is harder than lifting Thor's Hammer. They are two of my oldest accounts, so I really don't want to remove them from my profile....but my credit limits with them sit at $900 and $1,100. I use them fairly often for small bills and pay them off at each statement, and every few months when I attempt to request an increase it either denies me or gives me $100.....at this point I don't really see a point keeping these guys around. 

Anyone have any input as to what I could be doing better? My overall utilization is low, and every other card I'm at atleast an $8,000 limit. I make a very comfortable salary, I'm just lost at this point. Appreciate the feedback!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Question

I know what you mean!

Same here - "no soup" even after 8 years, same SL.

It's one of my "sock drawered" cards that I have little use for as most of my cards are over $5K.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

This has become their thing this past year. Very few people get more than a $100 CLI out of them irrespective of their level of spend and payment. You get either nothing, or $100. Not worth the effort. If you close then, they'll remain for up to ten years and contribute to the aging factors in your score. By the time they fall off completely, odds are you'll have cards not that far behind in age to mitigate the scoring hit.

Message 3 of 7
jonblaze24
New Contributor

It's quite frustrating to say the least, I have been a big fan of Cap1 not only for their service but they were fantastic when I had my auto loan through them. I definitely would like to stash this card away but my worry is it would get closed due to inactivity...it seems having either of these cards closed would do more harm than good to my score. 

Message 4 of 7
jonblaze24
New Contributor

So the age of the account will still benefit you even if you close the account? 

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonblaze24 wrote:

So the age of the account will still benefit you even if you close the account? 

Yes, as long as it is on your reports, open or closed) it contributes to all age-related scoring factors.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonblaze24 wrote:

It's quite frustrating to say the least, I have been a big fan of Cap1 not only for their service but they were fantastic when I had my auto loan through them. I definitely would like to stash this card away but my worry is it would get closed due to inactivity...it seems having either of these cards closed would do more harm than good to my score. 

The only way that closing them would harm your score in the near term would be if you did so, and the resultant loss of that $2000 of credit caused your utilization to increase. If you are carrying balances on other cards, and you get rid of these two, your usage percentage will go up and will decrease your score if it crosses a utilization threshold.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.