cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One SavorOne.... should I pair it with Venture X ?? Anyone tried this tempting combo?

tag
Live4Fishing
Valued Member

Capital One SavorOne.... should I pair it with Venture X ?? Anyone tried this tempting combo?

I'm currently in the Chase Ecosystem.. and I'm seriously thinking of adding the Capital One ecosystem to complement my portfolio of cards.  And I can't seem to find a reason NOT to take the plunge.  In fact... if it goes well I'd even downgrade my Chase CSR card to the CSP.  The Venture X is also a Visa Infinite card with all the great travel protections we all love tha the CSR has.    Anyone else gone down this route yet ?  Would love some feedback from my Fico Forums community.

AOD Visa Signature - 10K
PenFed Power Cash Rewards - 25K
Chase Sapphire Preferred - 18K
Capital One Savor One - 10K
Simmons Bank Visa Platinum - 7K
PenFed >PenFed Promise Visa - 5K
Chase Ultimate Rewards (AU) - 19K
Chase Ink Business Cash - 4K
Capital One Venture X - 30K
Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One SavorOne.... should I pair it with Venture X ?? Anyone tried this tempting combo?

@Live4Fishing wrote:

I'm currently in the Chase Ecosystem.. and I'm seriously thinking of adding the Capital One ecosystem to complement my portfolio of cards.  And I can't seem to find a reason NOT to take the plunge.  In fact... if it goes well I'd even downgrade my Chase CSR card to the CSP.  The Venture X is also a Visa Infinite card with all the great travel protections we all love tha the CSR has.    Anyone else gone down this route yet ?  Would love some feedback from my Fico Forums community.

If I'm reading the benefit terms correctly, the trip cancellation and interruption benefit is pretty stingy for a premium travel card.

https://ecm.capitalone.com/WCM/card/benefits-guide/20211109-venture-x/jb34520_build-it_dm_final_eng-...

Good SUB though.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 28
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One SavorOne.... should I pair it with Venture X ?? Anyone tried this tempting combo?

Well first I'd verify that all the same visa benefits the CSR has are indeed offered by the Venture X. Also, I know the Venture X comes as a Visa Signature, but I'm not sure about Visa Infinite. 

Then I'd also analyze whether you wouldn't be spreading yourself spend-wise too thin, thus diluting rewards on both ecosystems. And of course, you'd have to start building up your points with Cap One now, not including the SUB.

Finally, remember that Cap One does a triple pull (1 HP per bureau) for any and all card applications. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 28
quikj9
Frequent Contributor

It's a solid, low maintenance, yet powerful combo. I'm looking to pair my Savor One with a Venture X as soon as it seems like they'll approve me. 

@OmarGB9 it's been my understanding that the Venture X is only issued as a Visa Infinite, similar to the CSR.

Message 4 of 28
C6
Regular Contributor

Personally, I feel the Venture X is the best travel card on the market; however I don't see any value in the Savor One. The only benefit of the Savor One is 3% on dining / groceries. Since the OP already has the 3% AOD card why waste three hard pulls. One also has to consider how much dining out one does, if it's $1000 monthly the difference between a 2% and 3% card is a big $10. If you're looking to save consider eating at home more. In my state most restaurants multiply food costs by 4 - 5 times to get their menu price, then they expect a 20% gratuity and 7% tax, mostly for mediocre food. If you have large dining spend for business entertaining then perhaps a business card would be a better fit.

Message 5 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

@quikj9 wrote:

It's a solid, low maintenance, yet powerful combo. I'm looking to pair my Savor One with a Venture X as soon as it seems like they'll approve me. 

@OmarGB9 it's been my understanding that the Venture X is only issued as a Visa Infinite, similar to the CSR.

Reading through the CapOne details, and the TPG write up, I'd think Venture X is not specific, but depends on the cardholder. Both VISA Signature or VISA Infinite are possible to issue. Case in point, when you get to the TPG listing of Main Benefits / Benefits Overview, several of the benefits are asterisked.  The asterisk says "Benefits available on VISA Infinite cards".

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 6 of 28
C6
Regular Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@quikj9 wrote:

Reading through the CapOne details, and the TPG write up, I'd think Venture X is not specific, but depends on the cardholder. Both VISA Signature or VISA Infinite are possible to issue. Case in point, when you get to the TPG listing of Main Benefits / Benefits Overview, several of the benefits are asterisked.  The asterisk says "Benefits available on VISA Infinite cards".

To the best of my knowledge all Venture X cards are Visa Infinite with a minimum limit of $10,000.

Message 7 of 28
dangerously_caffeinated
Valued Member

@Live4Fishing wrote:

Hey there! I currently have a SavorOne and will be adding a Venture X as my travel card when my 6 months are up. If you decide to do this as you know, the reward structure is pretty great for effectively $5 paid to you a year. That being said, iif you do apply - Redacted cause bad 

Message 8 of 28
dangerously_caffeinated
Valued Member

@C6 wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

@quikj9 wrote:

To the best of my knowledge all Venture X cards are Visa Infinite with a minimum limit of $10,000.

You are correct. The confusion may come from the traditional Venture, which is a minimum 5k limit. The venture is a Visa Signature. the Venture X is Visa Infinite.

Message 9 of 28
Aim_High
Super Contributor

I think the Venture X is a compelling card for the mid-market consumer that it's targeted towards.  I did consider it, but decided not to take that plunge at this time.  IMO, it's not a comparable replacement for the Chase Sapphire Reserve but it's possibly the most worthy contender in that segment other than the US Bank Altitude Reserve, especially since AMEX raised the Platinum AF to $695.   I didn't want to take the Capital One triple-pull for a new card, I had other plans for new credit when it came out, and I also had concerns about overly diluting my travel rewards with another travel card. 

We all know that all "Visa Signature" or "Visa Infinite" cards are not created equal when it comes to which Visa benefits that a lender decides to offer.  As @wasCB14 pointed out above, the trip cancellation coverage lags significantly on the Capital One card.  (Trips are covered up to only $2K versus up to $10K on the Chase Sapphire Reserve.)    Purchase Return Protection on Venture X is limited to $300 per purchase versus $500 per purchase on CSR, but annual limit on both is still $1K.  I haven't poured over the other details but there may be more.  I don't know of any area that the Venture X is better than CSR on trip insurances and cancellations, but in many coverages it is comparable.   If perks are important to you at all, I would spend some time studying these differences before committing. 

Sapphire Reserve's 3x UR on dining and the ability to redeem those points at 1.5% to 2% on travel, either directly through the Chase travel portal or by transfer to partners is a huge difference between a Venture X - Savor combo.  That means dining out with Chase earns 3% in cash, or 4.5% in travel portal, or up to 6% if transferred.  Savor earns 4% on dining (the 3% mentioned upthread is for the no-AF Savor ONE) but it adds another $95 AF to the equation, bringing total AF up to $490 with both cards versus the $550 with the CSR alone.   However, correct me if I'm wrong but I don't believe Capital One allows "pooling" of cash back credits to be transferred between Savor and Venture cards.   Meanwhile, the Chase UR points can be easily pooled between Sapphires, Freedoms, and INKS.  That makes a Chase bi-fecta, tri-fecta, or quad-fecta still a stronger overall combo.  

As a stand-alone card, the Savor may not be as rewarding as it appears, thanks to that $95 AF, unless your spending is pretty heavy on dining and entertainment.  This is similar to my critiques of the AMEX Blue Cash Preferred which advertises 6% on groceries but that is subject to both an AF and a spending cap of $6K, which work from both the low and high end of spending to offset net earnings.  At least Savor doesn't cap spending.  If you spend $1K monthly (or $12K annually) on those categories, you earn $480 minus the $95 AF = $385/12,000 makes for a NET return of only 3.2%, barely above the 3% you would earn on the Savor ONE at 3% with no fee.  The breakeven point on Savor is about $10K annually, or about $192 average every week out of the year.  That level of spend would give you the same 3% you would earn with Savor ONE or a no-AF 3% card.  Even if you spend an average of $1500 per month ($346 per week; $18K annually) on Savor, your net return only goes up to about 3.47%.  So I would carefully consider whether a Savor ONE might be a better pairing with the Venture X, based on someone's spending habits on dining and entertainment.

Capital One has made improvements to travel partners but Chase still is far better in that area IMO.

The Savor card does give the benefit of 4% on streaming services and 3% on groceries.  I could see how a VentureX - Savor Rewards combo could cover a lot of spend and make for a simple two-card wallet.  Downsizing to two cards is something I brought up for discussion in a recent Smorgasbord thread.  There's a lot to be said for simplicity in managing cards for many of us, and accounting for how much (often small) incremental rewards we earn by adding additional cards beyond a certain point.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$900K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0 - SYCH - 65.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.