cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured Card - How to Unsecure?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One Secured Card - How to Unsecure?

@Anonymous wrote:

So there is no way to get this card changed at all? Not even by contacting the executive offices?

That's pretty much the upshot.  You are of course welcome to try, but you are following in the footsteps of many myFicans who have gone before...and the results are not promising

On the plus side, once you get rid of it you will be eligible for another unsecured Quicksilver - which will undoubtedly have much better terms and credit line than your current one, and will allow you to combine your current one into it

Message 11 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait, what? Another quicksilver? I'm confused now. 

Message 12 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Wait, what? Another quicksilver? I'm confused now. 

Capital One allows 2 cards at a time, for most people - right now your two are the secured card we're discussing, and the Quicksilver you mentioned earlier in the thread.

Once you cancel the secured, you can if you choose acquire a second QS, or maybe a Venture card, which could then be combined with your existing QS

Message 13 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

My answer is don't worry about it, and go on about getting great rewards cards form other companies. Stick the CapOne in a sock drawer, maybe throw a Netflix sub on it or use it every once in again to keep it open if you care. Or don't and cancel it.

CapOne doesn't seem interested in taking good customers that start with their secured card and turning them into heavy long-term Capital One users. They are more interested in being a building block for you to go on and be a heavy user of other cards from other companies. So, that's what you should do.

Message 14 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's interesting - I know that Capital One is most useful as a place to rebuild credit, but I didn't know that they saw that as their primary line of business and weren't that interested in "regular" users. So...since I have a secured card (since 1/2016) and was just approved for a $3K unsecured last month (2/2017), I should assume that my best course of action would be, once I establish a good payment history with the new unsecured card, to look elsewhere for another unsecured card? As a longtime PenFed member who very recently (as in less than a month ago) got a used-car loan from them, I'm considering their Promise Visa.

Message 15 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My answer is don't worry about it, and go on about getting great rewards cards form other companies. Stick the CapOne in a sock drawer, maybe throw a Netflix sub on it or use it every once in again to keep it open if you care. Or don't and cancel it.

CapOne doesn't seem interested in taking good customers that start with their secured card and turning them into heavy long-term Capital One users. They are more interested in being a building block for you to go on and be a heavy user of other cards from other companies. So, that's what you should do.

Not true at all.  I'm not sure what people on here don't get about their secured product.  They want you to close it once you've established your credit a bit and apply for an unsecured card.  They will even tell you that on the phone or in chat.  It's a secured card that probably won't unsecure.  Take it for what it is, and then move on to a Platinum, and quickly PC it to a QS.  That's all there is to it.  I for one am a good customer who started with their secured card and became a heavy long-term Capital One user, and there are many, many others on this forum who could say the same.

Message 16 of 29
Artemis092
Regular Contributor

Applied for the Capital One secured card May of 2016. I made a $500 deposit and they gave me a $651 limit. Made payments on time like clock work and in December of 2016 i requested a limit increase and made they gave me a $300 increase. Then in April 2017(last month) I got and email saying I was getting my deposit back and my card was being unsecured. That day they posted the credit to my credit card account. Was not expecting that at all. Really glad I got this card.
If you build it, they will come.

Amex BCE | Amex ED | BofA Rewards | Citibank DC | CitiBank Best Buy | Discover IT | Chase Amazon Prime | Chase Freedom | Wells Fargo Platinum
Message 17 of 29
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

A recent post here said that 10 consecutive months of usage and on-time payments might do the trick. This info came from calling one of the special numbers and badgering the rep.

Also, responding to a post above, Capital One's website says that an individual can have up to five cards. The qualifier is that more recently, Capital One limits approvals to one card every six months.

Message 18 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a Capital One Secured Master Card that I opened 2 years ago when I started rebuilding my credit. Started at $200 limit, limit increased to $500 shortly after. It has always been paid on time and in full. Every time I call customer service regarding unsecuring this card and transitioning it to an unsecured product they always comment on the account histroy being great, but I cant get this thing transitioned to an unsecured product. They offer to let me apply for another card and close this card out, but I dont want to do that as I need to work on my age of accounts and would like to keep this account going, but just in a way that its more useful than a $500 limit card which is my lowest card limit by far. I've spoken to numerous people. I'm told this account will never unsecure. I'm told it is unsecured at random. I'm told it can be requested through a credit limit increase. I'm told its not eligible for being unsecured at this time. All of these explainations from Capital One customer service contradict one another and provide no solid path. I see all over here people with this card having it unsecured after less than a year, and here I am 2 years deep paid on time and in full always and trapped secured. Any advice on how to go about this?

There's been a lot of good answers on here about this but nobody ever stated the obvious.

When you got that $300 increase, that was your card graduating. That 300 is all you will ever get. The card can't be combined with anything but the surface of the drawer you stick it in. You can't get another CLI on it. That card is at the end of it's usefulness. I would suggest looking at your pre-qals and see if you can get card with a decent limit on it. Kepp it open or close it, your choice, they don't care. They won't ask you any questions about why you're closing it other than to confirm your mailing address so they can send you your deposit back.

Message 19 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not true at all.  I'm not sure what people on here don't get about their secured product.  They want you to close it once you've established your credit a bit and apply for an unsecured card.  They will even tell you that on the phone or in chat.  It's a secured card that probably won't unsecure.  Take it for what it is, and then move on to a Platinum, and quickly PC it to a QS.  That's all there is to it.  I for one am a good customer who started with their secured card and became a heavy long-term Capital One user, and there are many, many others on this forum who could say the same.

CapOne doesn't seem interested in taking good customers that start with their card and turning them into heavy long-term Capital One users.

It's the same situation with those that start off with $500 limits and can't get them increased much higher even decades later: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/For-those-with-quot-stuck-quot-Capital-One-accounts/td-p/4876399

Other banks don't care where you started and grow with you while Capital One treats you like a red-headed stepchild. I have an Amex charge card that was closed for non-payment, reopened (with a $500 limit), upgraded, sidegraded, and they just sent me an offer to upgrade and get 60k points a few weeks ago. They'll also gladly let me charge $25k on that same account today.

Meanwhile Crap1 feeds you scraps and tells you to apply for a new account. I'm not saying I'm entitled to anything from anyone, but if that's how they treat their customers I'll gladly take it for what it is do business with other institutations that can at least pretend to value my business.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.