Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Secured

tag
FranknBeans
Contributor

Capital One Secured

I have had a Capital One secured card for 3 years. No late payments. Never use it. Been stuck at 600 bucks the entire time. Decided to try and get it unsecure for the last 3 months been putting around 2k on it every month.  Paying it off every time I hit 600.  Just checked the account and they are returning my deposit.  Hopefully they unsecure it and not close the account.  What are my chances? 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
GZG
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Secured

@FranknBeans wrote:

I have had a Capital One secured card for 3 years. No late payments. Never use it. Been stuck at 600 bucks the entire time. Decided to try and get it unsecure for the last 3 months been putting around 2k on it every month.  Paying it off every time I hit 600.  Just checked the account and they are returning my deposit.  Hopefully they unsecure it and not close the account.  What are my chances? 

if they're returning your deposit, they are either unsecuring your card or you asked to close the account (or they are closing it on you for something, which is doubtful if you've been PIF) 

did you get an email?

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 2 of 16
FranknBeans
Contributor

No email. Deposit shows pending. Yes I have never had a late payment.  PIF always. I have a Savior One at 5k limit for the last 9 months that I can't get a CLI. All I get in response to a CLI request is

" A credit limit increase is currently not available upon request because Capital One is evaluating account activity at assigned credit limits.
· A credit limit increase on your account is not currently available upon request"

It's my lowest limit card besides the secured one.  My highest limit is 18k and that's PIF too.

Message 3 of 16
GZG
Valued Contributor

@FranknBeans wrote:

No email. Deposit shows pending. Yes I have never had a late payment.  PIF always. I have a Savior One at 5k limit for the last 9 months that I can't get a CLI. All I get in response to a CLI request is

" A credit limit increase is currently not available upon request because Capital One is evaluating account activity at assigned credit limits.
· A credit limit increase on your account is not currently available upon request"

It's my lowest limit card besides the secured one.  My highest limit is 18k and that's PIF too.

I take it that it's a Platinum? 

Try seeing if you can now product change it into a Quicksilver "/productupgrade" to the end of the link for that account on desktop 

The deposit shows pending on the account or with your bank? I've never seen it before, I wouldn't know. 

In practical terms, now that it's unsecured, you can keep it open, or just close it. It seems like you have better cards, you don't really need this one open. 

Starting FICO 8:

Current FICO 8:

3/6, 5/12, 14/24

Message 4 of 16
FranknBeans
Contributor

It is a Platinum. It shows secured on their site /app.  Tried to product upgrade on the app and through the upgrade link and no upgrade is available for the card.  It's my oldest card.  Screwed myself by paying cash for everything for the last 15 years. Had no credit history anymore so I started rebuilding 3 years ago. 

Message 5 of 16
Horseshoez
Senior Contributor

Back in 2020 when I closed my secured CapOne Platinum they sent me an E-Mail indicating it would be up to 90 days before I got my security deposit (of $849, the highest they allowed at the time).  In the end I think I got the check in the mail about 60 days after I closed the account.

I categorically refuse to do AZEO!
Message 6 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

It appears to be unsecuring. I don't see any other reason for them to return your deposit unless of course they're closing it on you, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 16
FranknBeans
Contributor

Just did another charge and it went through. Money has been deposited now it's in the positive for 200 bucks. 

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It appears to be unsecuring. I don't see any other reason for them to return

your deposit unless of course they're closing it on you, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Message 8 of 16
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@FranknBeans wrote:

Just did another charge and it went through. Money has been deposited now it's in the positive for 200 bucks. 

@OmarGB9 wrote:

It appears to be unsecuring. I don't see any other reason for them to return

your deposit unless of course they're closing it on you, but that doesn't appear to be the case here.

Yup, sounds like it's unsecured now to me. Congrats!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 16
FranknBeans
Contributor

It just unsecured today!  Didn't think it was possible reading others post their experiences. 

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.