cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

 photo Capital One 201612_edited-1.jpg

 

Today I received a letter from Capital One regarding my "new credit card" just opened. This is very shocking to me since I did not apply any Capital One card. So I called Capital One and tried to see what is going on. Capital One has most of my info right, but missing some info. I was concerned about personal info stolen. But finally I figured out this is Capital One's doing. Capital One opened my account without permission. And this is not the first time. This is the reason that I stay clear from any Capital One relationship.

 

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

What did Capital One say when you told them that you did not apply for this? This should be handled as a fraud application. The person who likely opened this account has clearly compromised your information and will likely request a replacement card to an "alternate address". If you haven't already, I might suggest a security freeze on your credit files.
My Exclusive Personal Driver:
American Express Platinum Card for Schwab
The Ritz-Carlton Visa Infinite (when merchants don’t accept AXP because they foolishly claim the fee is too high)

My Exclusive Business Driver:
The Business Platinum Card from American Express
Message 2 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@Pooka89 wrote:
What did Capital One say when you told them that you did not apply for this? This should be handled as a fraud application. The person who likely opened this account has clearly compromised your information and will likely request a replacement card to an "alternate address". If you haven't already, I might suggest a security freeze on your credit files.

Just some background, I've received a lot of mailings from Capital One, such as pre-approvals. But I never wanted to have relationship with Capital One. Not impressed with any of its CCs.

 

Also, several years ago, Capital One opened a CC without my permission. So this time, I believe Capital One did it again and opened my CC from interal people. Similar to Wells Fargo situation. I told the Capital One fraud department and alerted them about possible employee mis-conduct. They say they will investigate.

 

I do not even know what card this is. Probably the Venture travel card. No point with my having CSR already. I've asked them to erase all Capital One credit entries on my credit report.

 

I've always try to avoid Capital One for many years.....

Message 3 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@BronzeTrader wrote:

 

 

Today I received a letter from Capital One regarding my "new credit card" just opened. This is very shocking to me since I did not apply any Capital One card. So I called Capital One and tried to see what is going on. Capital One has most of my info right, but missing some info. I was concerned about personal info stolen. But finally I figured out this is Capital One's doing. Capital One opened my account without permission. And this is not the first time. This is the reason that I stay clear from any Capital One relationship.

 


if you live long enough nothing will shock you anymore.  did you see this account show up on your portal and did you get any pulls or report changes?

Message 4 of 20
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

Wait....is this even legal? I have never heard of something so ridiculous before!

Message 5 of 20
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@smc4getnot wrote:

Wait....is this even legal? I have never heard of something so ridiculous before!


Of course it's not legal.   See all the WellsFargo fall out.

 

In WF case, though, these were created to meet bonus targets, and I don't think end users were sent letters like this.   IMO, not too good as a fraud attempt, although I guess a number of people may just not bother to really read or understand the letter

Message 6 of 20
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening

This isn't possible and you're not getting the full story.

Capital One do not just open cards for you. Especially under the CARD Act. Maybe back in the Wild West days of credit, but not today.
Message 7 of 20
Highlighted
Established Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@longtimelurker wrote:

@smc4getnot wrote:

Wait....is this even legal? I have never heard of something so ridiculous before!


Of course it's not legal.   See all the WellsFargo fall out.

 

In WF case, though, these were created to meet bonus targets, and I don't think end users were sent letters like this.   IMO, not too good as a fraud attempt, although I guess a number of people may just not bother to really read or understand the letter


I figured it wasn't, excuse my sleep deprived mind for the stupid question Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 20
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@rlx01 wrote:
This isn't possible and you're not getting the full story.

Capital One do not just open cards for you. Especially under the CARD Act. Maybe back in the Wild West days of credit, but not today.

Why this is not possible? Wells Fargo did it. Capital One opened one CC for me before, several years ago. I have nothing to do with Capital One.

 

The first page of the letter says the card is approved. Second page shows my Experian FICO. Other pages say all the Terms and Conditions. But it never mentioned what CC it is.

 

Since the FICO was pulled, the applicant has my SSN and DOB. But some of the info on file is still incorrect. So I know the applicant can't be from my family. Only banks have my SSN and DOB, but not 100% of all my info. I safeguard my private info really well and never storage any of my private info online.  Just want to alert folks.

Message 9 of 20
Highlighted
Senior Contributor

Re: Capital One Unauthorized Account Opening


@BronzeTrader wrote:

@rlx01 wrote:
This isn't possible and you're not getting the full story.

Capital One do not just open cards for you. Especially under the CARD Act. Maybe back in the Wild West days of credit, but not today.

Why this is not possible? Wells Fargo did it. Capital One opened one CC for me before, several years ago. I have nothing to do with Capital One.

 

The first page of the letter says the card is approved. Second page shows my Experian FICO. Other pages say all the Terms and Conditions. But it never mentioned what CC it is.

 

Since the FICO was pulled, the applicant has my SSN and DOB. But some of the info on file is still incorrect. So I know the applicant can't be from my family. Only banks have my SSN and DOB, but not 100% of all my info. I safeguard my private info really well and never storage any of my private info online.  Just want to alert folks.


You may think you protect your info well but a lot depends on others such as banks, CCC, hospitals and retail stores that you have used your credit card in.  So don't think it is impossible to have your indentity hacked.  I would dig a little deeper than just blaming CO.  One thing they don't have sales people on commission to open new accounts like WF.


Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.