cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One and PRIME Customers... Anyone asking for CLI on them??

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Capital One and PRIME Customers... Anyone asking for CLI on them??

@Walt_K wrote:

Agree that Capital One does have some attractive offerings.  I really would like to see a thread like this attract comments from people with those other cards.  The threads bashing Capital One are in no short supply.  You can't necessarily extrapolate your experience from a rebuilder card to all of their other cards.  So maybe those who only have experience with their rebuilder cards can leave off trashing Cap One for a moment to see if those with their higher tier products can either confirm or deny that they receive better customer service, including reasonable CLI policies. 

+1

I technically have one of their (re)builder cards, I'm in the credit steps program, and they were my first card. They have been nothing but great to me, and anytime I had an issue it was always quickly resolved. 

Message 11 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Yes I can't tell you the last time I have seen Capital One approving new cards (PRIME) like they use to... My parents had some Blue Travel Card back starting probably in late 90's with $16k and then my father had a Business Card that had 60 day no interest on purchased ALWAYS and that was opened and then didn't move for $7k, my mother had a regular reward business card at $5k and never moved.... not sure they have any cap1 anymore...

my friend BK cap1 but had never been late and kept a mortgage so he crossed through a discharged bk in under 90 days and with a score in the 680+ i believe, within a month he had an offer for cap1 rebuilder but a little higher up on the line of good and he was instantly approved for $5k, then up to 6 and then he closed and they uped it to 8 and didn't actually close... not sure now.. but again this was pre 2008....

Message 12 of 19
my25reasons
Regular Contributor

I apped for the capital one cash rewards card today and was approved for a 5k limit. I was a little disappointed, since I was hoping to fall in the 5k+ category. Not sure if that puts me there or not. Have to wait until I get the card to see. Also the interest rate after the 0% 1st year is up at almost 22%, which is double the interest rate on any of my other credit lines. Not sure I'll keep them after the first year if they don't lower the rate for me.

In my wallet:
Discover More / Chase Amazon / Chase Freedom /Chase Business Ink / Chase Slate / Capital One Cash Rewards / Walmart Discover / Kohls / JCPenny / Home Depot / Art Van

Experian Direct PLUS scores: Experian 744/ Equifax 763/ TU 744
Message 13 of 19
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

@my25reasons wrote:

I apped for the capital one cash rewards card today and was approved for a 5k limit. I was a little disappointed, since I was hoping to fall in the 5k+ category. Not sure if that puts me there or not. Have to wait until I get the card to see. Also the interest rate after the 0% 1st year is up at almost 22%, which is double the interest rate on any of my other credit lines. Not sure I'll keep them after the first year if they don't lower the rate for me.

As long as you PIF, the interest rate should not concern you! Beat them at their own game. Use the card, PIF, and collect the rewards.

Easy!  Smiley Happy

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 14 of 19
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

Captial One and Prime is an oxymoron wouldn't you say.  I kid, I kid.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 15 of 19
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

While Cap One def'ly helped me build and sustain a great credit record, they are known to be subprime. Even many of their Venture/No Hassle Cash cards get approved with lower than normal limits. If you have like an 800 score, sure they MIGHT bend over backwards. If you have like a 700 FICO, however, you'll prob just get the same $500 crappy limit. My $1,300 limit worked for years until I realized using that card was keeping me subprime (util on low limit card will appear highee for obvi reasons).
To each his own
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 16 of 19
jsucool76
Super Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
While Cap One def'ly helped me build and sustain a great credit record, they are known to be subprime. Even many of their Venture/No Hassle Cash cards get approved with lower than normal limits. If you have like an 800 score, sure they MIGHT bend over backwards. If you have like a 700 FICO, however, you'll prob just get the same $500 crappy limit. My $1,300 limit worked for years until I realized using that card was keeping me subprime (util on low limit card will appear highee for obvi reasons).
To each his own

You never know. They gave me a $3000 limit with a ~620ish score. First credit card. They're just...a different breed of lender. 

Message 17 of 19
compassion101
Established Contributor

I've had a 5K limit with a capone platinum for about 6 years. I've been tempted to call for an increase after seeing all the increases lately, but tbh I don't really use the card now except when I travel out of the country. I was away for 2 months but am back in u.s. now and have no plans for upcoming travel. So the truth is I'd love to have CLI because it will help my util since I am planning to carry some balnaces at 0% APR for the next year on other cards, but I have no other need for capone CLI. I wouldn't use the card much even if I got a CLI

Message 18 of 19
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

My aunt and dad have Capital One cards with fairly large limits that got their by asking for an increase. I think most of the people here have Capital One's "poor credit" cards and that is why they get no large increases. I can understand Capital One's stance on this and do not see why they get so much hate from everyone. In my opinion they have some nice cards and if you have good credit you will have no problem getting a nice limit and card from them.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.