Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One question???

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One question???

Morning guys. I have officially been awake for 24 hrs so I apologize for typos in advance.

Also, I am posting from my phone w/ long nails. Anywho, these questions are for anyone who has, had, or knows anything about Cap 1 process. So I start by say I have 2 Cap1 cards that have been open going on 3 years now. The Plat card was originally a sec'd card starting at $200 and w/ good behavior capped at $500. The QS1 started at $500 and increased to 1k spring of 2016 and hasn't moved since. Obviously I want to keep these cards open due to them being my first cc ever and not wanting to lose the CH, but I dont want a bunch of cards collecting dust because I've outgrown them. 

My question(s)

1. Should I apply for another Cap1 card since I have the good account history?
  2. How many cards can I have with them?
  3. If I apply for another QS1, will it add to my existing limit?
  4. How long does a secured card take to unsecure if ever?

Lastly, this is completely unrelated, but myFICO stimulater shows getting a store card would not effect my score. However, HomeDepot uses CitiBank and Lowes uses SYNCRY for financing. So at some point I pretty sure the score is gonna take a hit. I just wondering if the rumors about the likelihood of approval being better since it can on br use with that specific retail store?

Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions. Little back story just brought a house in sep 2017 so the store card would be super beneficial. Not interested in Walmart cc since it just put this family into a deep depression of debt 🤣🤣. Thank you🤗🤗

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One question???

@Anonymous wrote:

Morning guys. I have officially been awake for 24 hrs so I apologize for typos in advance.

Also, I am posting from my phone w/ long nails. Anywho, these questions are for anyone who has, had, or knows anything about Cap 1 process. So I start by say I have 2 Cap1 cards that have been open going on 3 years now. The Plat card was originally a sec'd card starting at $200 and w/ good behavior capped at $500. The QS1 started at $500 and increased to 1k spring of 2016 and hasn't moved since. Obviously I want to keep these cards open due to them being my first cc ever and not wanting to lose the CH, but I dont want a bunch of cards collecting dust because I've outgrown them. 

My question(s)

1. Should I apply for another Cap1 card since I have the good account history?
  2. How many cards can I have with them?
  3. If I apply for another QS1, will it add to my existing limit?
  4. How long does a secured card take to unsecure if ever?

Lastly, this is completely unrelated, but myFICO stimulater shows getting a store card would not effect my score. However, HomeDepot uses CitiBank and Lowes uses SYNCRY for financing. So at some point I pretty sure the score is gonna take a hit. I just wondering if the rumors about the likelihood of approval being better since it can on br use with that specific retail store?

Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions. Little back story just brought a house in sep 2017 so the store card would be super beneficial. Not interested in Walmart cc since it just put this family into a deep depression of debt 🤣🤣. Thank you🤗🤗

I will let others respond regarding your questions about C1 but in regards to the simulator.  There is no difference in the effect of a new card on your FICO score based on whether it’s a store card or a Visa or Mastercard.  Whether your score will change can be affected by both the inquiry and a new account on your AAoA once it reports.  For most people any score change by adding one card would be minimal and would improve as the inquiry/new account age.  In terms of being approved easier because it’s a store card, generally no.  Of the two, Home Depot or Lowe’s, the Synchrony Lowes card tends to be easier to get and also get higher limits/CLIs with the card.  There are many of us with $35K limits on our Lowe’s card and that’s something you will only see very rarely on the Citi HD card.  We can give better advice on your chances of being approved for any card if you provide more info about your credit file like credit age and most importantly, your FICO scores (not Vantage scores like the one provided by CapitalOne).

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

My question(s)

1. Should I apply for another Cap1 card since I have the good account history? Please don't. Capital One is perfectly happy being a sub prime lender. Capital One is a great bank to either build or rebuild credit; however, they have a sell-by date and once you start getting your scores up and getting better cards it is time to thank Capital One for giving you a chance/second/(third?!?!) chance and move on. 
  2. How many cards can I have with them? I am not sure on this one to be honest; I want to say at one time it was 5. But my God why would anyone want 5 Capital One accounts? If you find that person I need to have a come to Jesus moment with them. STAT.
  3. If I apply for another QS1, will it add to my existing limit? No, if you apply for any other Capital One card, that limit will be associated only with that new card. You could eventually try to reallocate that new card's limit to your old QS1 (and close the new card) but there is no guarantee that will be permitted. 
  4. How long does a secured card take to unsecure if ever? This varies. There have been posts here lately from people that recently got their Capital One secured cards unsecured. Others have stated that their cards were secured for years. My mom had a Capital One partially secured card in 1998. For $99 deposit she was granted a $1,000 limit. Capital One unsecured that card in 2006-8 years later. And despite that, her credit line now is only $1,600. They refuse to waive the annual fee, lower the APR or increase the credit line. So she is closing it.

Please let me know if you have any advice or suggestions. Little back story just brought a house in sep 2017 so the store card would be super beneficial. Not interested in Walmart cc since it just put this family into a deep depression of debt 🤣🤣. Thank you Irish answered this. 

I do not want to come across as a Capital One hater. I really do not care for people dogging on them for not increasing credit lines etc etc. Capital One, in my opinion, is the most honest, fair and transparent lender for people just starting out or rebuilding. But for whatever reason, Capital One's business model is primarily not to improve a builder/rebuilder card once the cardholder has built/rebuilt their credit. It makes absolutely no sense, but that is their decision. People just need to realize this and move on to bigger and better once its time. (You might wonder why I give that advice when I still have my first card, a Capital One V1 card, but my experience with them has been the exact opposite as they grew with me, but that was a long time ago and very rare). 

Message 3 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Cap1 puts you in a bucket depending on your credit score. If you're credit hasn't significantly improved, your new cards will be in the same bucket, probably with the same experience.

You can have 7 cards total from them. 2 sub-prime (secured, platinum, and qs1), and 5 prime. Co-branded cards don't count towards the limits.

You can have multiples of the same card and any new application for a card you already have will result in a new card. You can roll a zero balance card into another one, doesn't matter which ones, but it counts as a CLI for the card you're keeping, so apply for a CLI first before rolling a card into it. This is how most people get a larger limit and get out of the bucket. Apply for a new card when your credit improves, get a CLI, roll in a bucketed card.

There's no set date that a secured card will graduate, if ever. The ones that have had it happen opened them after 2016. There are reports of it not happening for 2-3 years, if at all.

Message 4 of 7
pip3man
Valued Contributor

You are quite misinformed about Capital One and its business model. Capital One does NOT bucket customers based on their credit score in any way at all. That’s a totally false claim. At Capital One it’s actually the products themselves that are really segmented. Mainstream cards like the Platinum, Journey etc are designed for fair credit customers hence the underwriting terms are usually conservative. And the terms of each card are locked in for that specific product which is the reason why many customers who had fair to poor credit when they first get a card will hardly ever see a change in their APR or credit limit even though their credit profile has improved drastically since after acquisition. For these customers their limitation is not them but rather the card type they hold. So in order to get a more favorable credit limit and APR they will have to apply for a new upmarket product. This is the reason why some people report that they have had a specific type of card for many years and have tried to get a CLI with no success (sometimes right before a new credit application) but the moment they apply for a new account they get approved with super high limit and better terms. The bottom line is the original terms of ur specific card type does not adjust in line with improvements to customers credit profile and risk rating and neither does a PC into an upmarket type product a work around it. Always feel free at any time to apply for a new product that matches ur need and credit profile. And as far as secured cards go, it could take anywhere from 9 months to infinity to unsecure. That said it’s a systematic process, meaning u must qualify and have the offer in your account. It’s not like something someone can go in and manually apply to ur account...
Message 5 of 7
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@pip3man wrote:
You are quite misinformed about Capital One and its business model. Capital One does NOT bucket customers based on their credit score in any way at all. That’s a totally false claim. At Capital One it’s actually the products themselves that are really segmented. Mainstream cards like the Platinum, Journey etc are designed for fair credit customers hence the underwriting terms are usually conservative. And the terms of each card are locked in for that specific product which is the reason why many customers who had fair to poor credit when they first get a card will hardly ever see a change in their APR or credit limit even though their credit profile has improved drastically since after acquisition. For these customers their limitation is not them but rather the card type they hold. So in order to get a more favorable credit limit and APR they will have to apply for a new upmarket product. This is the reason why some people report that they have had a specific type of card for many years and have tried to get a CLI with no success (sometimes right before a new credit application) but the moment they apply for a new account they get approved with super high limit and better terms. The bottom line is the original terms of ur specific card type does not adjust in line with improvements to customers credit profile and risk rating and neither does a PC into an upmarket type product a work around it. Always feel free at any time to apply for a new product that matches ur need and credit profile. And as far as secured cards go, it could take anywhere from 9 months to infinity to unsecure. That said it’s a systematic process, meaning u must qualify and have the offer in your account. It’s not like something someone can go in and manually apply to ur account...

Yes, sub-prime cards have more strict underwriting, but that's only part of the picture. Cap1 participates in asset backed lending. One of the datapoints when a lender securitizes assets is the expected rate of default, which is what our credit scores tries to predict. You can move up to a prime card, but if your scores are the same, your risk remains the same. You can be approved for a Venture One with a 610 fico, but they're not gonna give you a $10k limit because its a prime card. In addition, once your card has been packed into an Asset Based Security and sold, they're not gonna go back in and change your status and risk rating because your score improved. The ABS has been sold. You're locked in.

Here is a link to a write-up that explains it well. In that thread is a link to one of Cap1's ABS disclosures.

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/Credit-Card-Asset-Backed-Securities-ABS-and-w...

Message 6 of 7
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

OP -

There is nothing wrong with having multiple accounts with Cap One.

You can have 5 last time I checked with 2 max for subprime.

I grew my profile with Cap One and my loyality paid off.

I went from a single $3k card (platinum) to $80k of avail credit on prime cards.

Old accounts may have glass ceilings but if your credit is better, you may get a better card at a better limit and better APR.

In less than 4 years I received a $30k SL Venture with a $400 cash bonus at 13.99% APR as well as a 72 month car loan at 2.49% APR with no money down.

Cap One has treated me very well from the time no one would even look at me to now where I can get other cards.

YMMV.  Good Luck.

PS - I make well over $1000 per year using Cap One and do not pay a penny of interest.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.