Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capital One...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One...

I know this creditor is looked down on by those with good credit, but is opening a second card with Capital One a good idea? I already have an unsecured capital one with a $500 limit. As of now, it's my only credit card. Well, capital one sent a preapproved invite for the quick silver card. 9 months at 0% and no annual fee. My fico is around 600. Should I take this offer to build my credit? Thanks.
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capital One...

Capital One is a great company with some good cards. The cards are kinda basic and other companies may over more but Cap1 is not to be ignored. Quicksilver is a solid card for all those catch all expenses. The Venture is a great travel card. It was named the best travel card last year. Savor is a solid card for those that eat out a lot. Just do your research. Other companies may offer same or better perks so see what fits best in your credit card portfolio.  

Message 2 of 19
Hut1
Established Contributor

I agree with Hybrid. Capital One is a well established provider with perks of all kinds depending on the card. Maybe go to the Cap1 website and check your prequal offers before applying? They say that just because you get a pre-approval offer doesn’t mean they'll actually approve your application.
download

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap One is that cool crazy uncle at the family BBQ that will drink a beer with you and share some embarrassing stories. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Go to the Cap1 website and click “respond to mail offer”. Confirm it’s a solid APR (not a range)

Thats a decent card for your second card.

Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Capital One’s biggest “fault” is that some of their cards are “bucketed”. This is when they cap you out at a low limit on a certain card (usually the Platinum).

Personally, I’ve been very happy with Capital One. They have been very generous with SLs as seen here on the forums.

As others have suggested, do your research before applying, and see if that card will fit your needs, or if there is something else out there that would be more beneficial
Message 6 of 19
Credit_hawk
Established Contributor

The crazy drunk uncle who writes you a check for a gift that bounces.

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap One is that cool crazy uncle at the family BBQ that will drink a beer with you and share some embarrassing stories. Smiley Happy

FICO- Experian: 797, TransUnion: 781, Equifax: 804 (Updated Monthly)
Message 7 of 19
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@Credit_hawk wrote:

The crazy drunk uncle who writes you a check for a gift that bounces.

@Anonymous wrote:

....that bounces three (hp) times.Smiley TongueSmiley Very Happy

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 8 of 19
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

Other than 3 HP for an application, Capitol One is no different than Chase or Citi or Bank of America. They are fine for most, treat some like second class card holders, and go to the ends of the Earth to work with others.

OP, that's a good card for a second card. The only thing you should look at is if you want to take 3 hard pulls for it. Definitely make sure you have a preapproval on the website first!

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 9 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Whats so great about......Smiley Wink

Oops my bad, wrong threadSmiley Wink
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.